PDA

View Full Version : Outerwear Air Box Cover

JD400exrider
02-02-2003, 09:54 PM
You guys that are running no air box lids are you using an outer wear cover over the top?
I had modified my cover and cut a large opening all the way around the top and installed a outerwer cover to help keep anything big from getting in. The velcrow that comes with them is virtually impossible to install on the battery side, however the modified lid holds down tight and seemed to be working well untill this cover that lasted less than four rides ripped. Are you seeing this cover tear at all. And this tear is not due to the lid holding it down. I though about calling outerwers on this cover that lasted very little time.

2000 400 EX
CHM Pipe
Renthal Bars
Rev Box
Stearing dampner
CHM Air Scoops
Nacs Peg Extenders
Modified air box cover without snorkel
Renthal 14 tooth (Soon to go back to 15)
Rear Razors On Douglas wheels/ Front Holeshots On Stock
Shock wears
Full Skids / DG Bumper

02-02-2003, 10:18 PM
I have one but have not installed it yet due to the "mickey mouse" installation design.

It does seem to be a serious POS and since you dont get much material with it you dont seem to have many choices for installation.

The material seems to be almost the same as the filter cover but just a little more stiff or brittle so I would expect it to last about the same but your experience seems to go against that thinking.

I am thiking of modifying the OEM lid to attach the outerware to it permenantly so there isnt any chance of it falloing off like it seems it will deff be doing.

JD400exrider
02-03-2003, 06:21 PM
thats a good idea. I did check rocky mountain and they have one made by UM that may be a little stronger. You idea of attaching it to the back of the lid may work. Outerwears told me when you remove it you need to be careful and pull with both hands. After 2-3 rides this splitting down the middle is a bunch of crap

NoWingNoPrayer
02-03-2003, 06:42 PM
i have seen those. they looked way to easy to build yourself and i acctually did that today. i cut the biggest square i could out of the top of my air box and then stapeld pool Screen on top with a staple gun then used rubber cement to make the screen flat ob the lid and then i spray paintethe whole thing.. it looks awesome i just need to see how it performs.. i know it wont keep dust out.. but what really will other than your filter.. but it should keep oy everything bigger than a grain of sand and water shouldent make it through to easy..

ILL POST A PIC WHEN I FIGURE OUT HOW.:grr

jay's 300
02-03-2003, 06:48 PM
There's been quite a few people on here complaining about those ripping after only a few rides. I'm just going to make my own out of an old outerwear and a cut lid. Something similar to what NoWing made. :ermm: :D

02-03-2003, 06:49 PM
but it should keep oy everything bigger than a grain of sand and water shouldent make it through to easy..

I know that everyone could be looking to keep out different things, but I am most concerned with water and dirt/sand etc.

The outerware on the filter itself is water repelant but water can and does get into the filter. It works very well for sand and dirt as there has never been anything in the carb boot etc, and I do take it apart often.

Problem with water and K&N seems that the gause type filter element absorbs the water and then it cant pass air by the section that is watered down.

Hopefully the partial lid and outerware will stop any stuff from getting into the filter itself.

luvmyex
02-03-2003, 07:14 PM
I had the filters on my box but the foam kept getting lost or worn out.So i got one of the outerwears.Then i cut most of the top of my lid off and used the metal(alum.) duct tape that you use for ac ducts.Or 200mph tape to hold it all down.Water mostly repels off of it even when i wash it.But a little gets in washing it not bad.That is the only time water gets in though.I ride creeks and ride tru the edge of a lake often too.But just dont get in deep enough to cover the air box and it should do fine.Ive had it on over 6 months now and still holding strong.

JD400exrider
02-03-2003, 07:45 PM
It sounds like instead of putting the outerwear over the top of the air box and then putting the modified lid over the top it would be better to secure the outerwear to the inside of the cut lid with that aluminum tape. I was getting water and a little dirt in the air box with the outerwear, although the UNI did not get that dirty.

Thanks guys for the good ideas.

Anybody used that UM cover for air boxes. May be a little stronger.

luvmyex
02-03-2003, 08:17 PM
Oops,Yea thats what i did but i put it on the outside of the lid.It had a better seal that way.Ane there is ribs on the insides that would get in the way.

lilpoppy
02-03-2003, 09:19 PM
The best way I found to do it was by ordering the outerware for a 250 r instead of for a 400ex which makes it smaller than the 400's. All I did was cut out the biggest hole i could on the lid then use the velcrow around the edges of thge lid which fits perfectly because the cover is smaller.

JD400exrider
02-03-2003, 11:35 PM
lilpoppy, Did you install it on the outside of the lid also or on the inside ?

northeast400
02-04-2003, 06:22 PM
Anybody have any pics?

luvmyex
02-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Ill try to get one.Its not the best looking thing butit works good and nobody can see it anyway.

JD400exrider
02-04-2003, 07:38 PM
Talked to outerwears today. They are actually sending me a new one. Since it tor so soon. I guess that when you remove these things you have to remove it from each side together. I thought that was prety cool of them. :) Sign of a good service company. I will have to try this new method of attaching over the opening and directly to the air box lid and not take it off

lilpoppy
02-04-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
lilpoppy, Did you install it on the outside of the lid also or on the inside ?

I installed it to the outside of the lid. The 250r version fits the outside perfectly around the edges.