PDA

View Full Version : atc250r stator install?

islandbiker1000
07-08-2010, 10:39 PM
anyone know how to replace a stator on a watercooled atc250r? any help would be awesome

wilkin250r
07-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Yeah, they're not too difficult.

Unfortunately, you'll need a specialty tool to get the flywheel off, and you'll need to buy a new gasket. The tool is about $20.

The cover is of the left side of the engine (the "driver side" if it was a car) and has like 8 or so bolts, and they're all the same length, so you don't need to remember where they go. Don't need to drain the oil or anything silly like that.

You'll need to wiggle the cover a little, it's stuck to the gasket. Once it's off, there's a nut that holds the flywheel, pull the nut off, but you're not done. The flywheel is on there REALLY tight, so you'll need your special flywheel puller tool to get it off.

Once that is off, the rest is almost self-explanatory. The stator has a few bolts, and a couple to hold the pulse coil in place. You pull those off, (now is a good time to clean the old gasket off), and put the new stator back on.

The flywheel goes back on, and there is a small key to hold it in place, you'll see it, don't forget the key. The flywheel nut needs to be on there TIGHT.

New gasket, bolt the cover back in place, and you're done.

Anybody have torque specs for the flywheel? I don't have my manual in front of me.

islandbiker1000
07-09-2010, 12:21 PM
thanx for the info. the problem when i got was that a bolt around the stator came out and messed up the stator, i guess its a common things for those engines. would i have to do anything special to remidy that. the bolt didnt break off, just backed out.

islandbiker1000
07-09-2010, 12:23 PM
do i need to worry about timing or anything like that. i am mechanically inclined, but i dont know how to time the motor.

wilkin250r
07-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Timing is simple. I stated earlier that there is a key that fits into a slot between the flywheel and the crankshaft. As long as that key is in place, the motor is perfectly timed. It really is that simple.

The pitfalls of changing the stator are:

Holding the flywheel while you get the nut off can be tricky. You can do it successfully without special tools, but something like THIS (http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0008/) can make things a whole lot easier, and they're available almost anywhere.

When cleaning the gasket surfaces, be careful not to put any deep scratches in the mating surface.

If you're worried about screws and bolts coming loose, use a small dab of loctite. Use the blue stuff (medium strength). The red stuff (high strength) is for a permanant bond, which often damages the parts if they ever need to be disassembled. And just a little dab will do, a little goes a long way with this stuff.