PDA

View Full Version : Engine tick

zach0199
07-08-2010, 03:47 PM
New to quads and picked up an 01 fresh off a rebuild sounds like there is a slight tick but im not familure enough with these engines to know if its normal its loud enough to notice ridding but it doesnt sound as loud as a knock and engine could produce. Do my lifters or valves need adjusted any help would be great

bherriman
07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
99% of the 400's have a slight tick...If i were you I would go a head and check your valves just to make sure they are set right but I would guess the tick is just normal...as far as lifters go you don't have any so I would say they are fine lol

zach0199
07-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Thanks like I said new to them, no lifters I had not thought about it. The valves were just recently adjusted when the rebuild was performed in april should i have them checked anyways the engine only has about 2hrs on it. I dont know if its to early to check them or I should wait the mechanic said to have them done around winter or so becuase of the fresh build. Also the quad wouldn't stay running smoothly today until warmed up and seemed to bog down a little when down shifting is that a 400ex thing too? Could the downshifting thing just be from inexpericne when it comes to ridding.? The engine was all looked over new cam chain valve seals and various other things too.

JOHNDOE83
07-08-2010, 05:20 PM
Some tick, some dont, some tick then go away, its kind of a ghost situation.

mine ticked then went away one day after a rebuild, didnt do anything differently, but its not ticking anymore? the only things I changed were jetting nuts and bolts and paint.

like he said %90 of these guys have ticking 400ex's.

search through the countless threads in this section, some people deal with it, some fixed it, some say its normal, really no one knows?

but Ive never heard of it causing a problem or danger?

zach0199
07-08-2010, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the info i think ill try rejetting first because it seems so back fire a hair when decellerating . What kit do you recommend k&n, Dyno jet or any others? Also were is a good place to get a repair/owners manual the previous owner didn't have one to give to me.

dalejiw25
07-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Sound like you may need a Carb adjustment. Try turning the A/F screw out 1/2 turn at a time and see if that helps any. You may need to go with a bigger Pilot jet also. Do you know how it's jetted now. If so Post up. These quads are pretty easy to tweak and Bulletproof. Good choice. You'll prolly be able to get all the info. you need on this Forum. A bunch of great Guys. Enjoy.

dalejiw25
07-08-2010, 05:56 PM
I always use Keihin Jets. My Preference. Clymers are good manuals and pretty cheap on line (e-bay). Throw a 42 pilot in it and forget it. Done. No more poppin, Easier starts. Oh and any Honda Dealership will have Keihin Jets.

zach0199
07-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the help I asked the previous owner about the jets couldnt remember what he said when i bought it once I hear back ill be sure to post them up. Until then what would be a good set up if i decide to tear into it before i hear from him, it has a wiseco 85.5mm piston 10:1, uni closed lid filter and full dg exhaust. Appreciating all the help

dalejiw25
07-08-2010, 06:09 PM
If you don't do a lot of riding in water I'd pull the lid off the air box. UNI is a good Filter. Hows it run throttling up and at full throttle ????

zach0199
07-08-2010, 06:29 PM
It seems to ilde up good and stay steady at open throttle no hesitation or sputtering

dalejiw25
07-08-2010, 07:40 PM
Sounds like your main and needle are Good then. I'd start by swapping the pilot to a 42 and go from there. Cheap fix $7 @ the dealership.

zach0199
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
Previous owner does not remember he said it was jetted 2 sized bigger than stock but I asume that response is limited he had a mechanic due all the work. So still not sure if the pilot has been changed what are a couple I should pick up to use I plan on getting a 42 pilot. I was gonna head down to the local honda dealer to get them before I tear into it. I am assuming the main is good tho due to no sputtering or hesitation wile trottleing up or at full throttle. Thanks

dalejiw25
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Stock is a 38 so if he says he's 2 sizes up you're at a 42. I'd pull the carb to be sure and if it's a 42 now pick up a 45. But with the mods you say you've got, I doubt that theres a 42 in it now. Takes 1 hr. Tops to pull it and check it. Here's a nice post to help you out.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=221742