PDA

View Full Version : Please help with tierods

3racers
07-08-2010, 08:05 AM
Hey Dudes we r having a problem with tierods and ends. Have L/S x-c a-arms with the tierods and ends from L/S. The problem is that the ends barley screw on to tierods about a half a inch and feel loose in the threads they say these are the right one and should work fine. We race X_C and beat the hell out of the frount ends. They can srew in atleast 1 inch and still room to adjust our rod is 13" they sell 14" too I want to use the 14,but they say I dont have too.Seems more threads in end would make stronger.Any suggustions??Have adjusted and raced with these,but just worry about them breaking.

Ichoptop
07-08-2010, 08:33 AM
more thread engagement does not make them stronger. From and engineering standpoint anything more then 3 full threads engaged do not make anything more sound or stronger. Its just how threads work since there are always imprefections in both the screw and nut side of any threaded union.

but, tightening the jam nut against the rod end should make them tight, if not then there is an issue.

fomospede
07-08-2010, 12:01 PM
well three full threads isn't an engineering standard ill tell you that engagment should always be at minimum 1.5 x the diameter of said threaded peice, also when racing xc we beat the poop out of everything and thinking you tie is going to come apart is not taking you to the podium!!!!!!!!!!! by the way i am an engineer at a worldwide fastener company

Ichoptop
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
Sorry, let me re-phrase for us engineers.

If you do the tolerance stack-up you will realize that a threaded joint will not have contact in anymore then three points. Assuming that thread forming is perfect a maximum of three full threads would be needed to supply the three contact points. (per FED-STD H28-2 & 28-6)

Minimum engineering theory is that the total thread engagement should be >= the diameter of the fastener. Because of deformation of materials under stress and load put on the assembly these three contact points do tend to move over the life of the assembly so the more available threaded area able to contact its mating surface the better off you are at not having a failure.

JAKE YATES
07-09-2010, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
Sorry, let me re-phrase for us engineers.

If you do the tolerance stack-up you will realize that a threaded joint will not have contact in anymore then three points. Assuming that thread forming is perfect a maximum of three full threads would be needed to supply the three contact points. (per FED-STD H28-2 & 28-6)

Minimum engineering theory is that the total thread engagement should be >= the diameter of the fastener. Because of deformation of materials under stress and load put on the assembly these three contact points do tend to move over the life of the assembly so the more available threaded area able to contact its mating surface the better off you are at not having a failure.

run that by me one more time!!!!haha

DnB_racing
07-09-2010, 04:51 PM
fomo and icho.... if your so smart then answer the question for the poor guy!!!lol

Should he use the 14"? will it make it stronger having it threaded in more?
3racers i went with the 14" to have more threads inside myself!!!it just seams much tighter and stronger

kenny450er
07-09-2010, 08:03 PM
i agree maybee even use alittle blue loctite

3racers
07-10-2010, 02:17 PM
Thanks dnb and the rest think Iam going to the 14"more rod inside of the end has to be better just wanted to know if anybody else felt the same way.