PDA

View Full Version : using tent material for an prefilter....opinions or suggestions

clay3007
07-08-2010, 01:16 AM
i want an outwear thats a little more waterproof as i trail ride and the occasional winter street playing. so i bought an outwear from my local honda store and it just velcros on to the top of the lid and i can see right threw it. just dont seem like its enough. i seen the kit that ehs sells but its the same thing i have just with the metal edging.

with that said i was thinking of a way i can make my own and i came up with the idea of using tent material since its both breathable and water resistant.

i plan on also making the metal piece for the lid too. i know water can not just sit on the tent material or it will leak so i plan on making a center support so the lid will actually be a dome and the water can run off.

anyone know how breathable text material is?

here is a pic i drew real quick on paint to show what im thinking of. the black is the stock lid and the red is the metal i will fabricate. the center red curve is where is will be raised up to keep water from sitting on top and keep the material tight.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u298/clay3007/airboxlidbig2.jpg

speedracer350X
07-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Go to Wal Mart or wherever and buy a can of "camp dry" silicone spray that you spray on tents and outdoor stuff, I don' think mines completely water proof per say, but I don't drown it in mud holes or go through 5' deep water crossings either. I have it on my 450r, had one on my 400ex also. Seemed to work fine, hope this helps.

clay3007
07-08-2010, 08:35 AM
I thought about using that on the tent material. But u used it on ur outwear?

speedracer350X
07-08-2010, 12:37 PM
yep, I actually bought some outer wear material form Dennis Kirk, cut 2 holes in my stock airbox lid, glued some velcro strips to the outer edge of the holes on the lid, and had my gram sew some velcro on the edge of the outerwears material that goes over the holes. The holes are cut rectangular, probably about 2-3" x 4' or so long. This way I still clamp on the actual lid, I never cared for the set up outerwears had for my 400EX when I had that, the velcro didn't seam to stay tight around the edge of the airbox. Ever other 3 waches or so I'll spary some more camp dry on the outerwear material, like I said earlier, seems to be doing fine, again, I don't race my machine GNCC or anything, but t it suits me.

JOHNDOE83
07-08-2010, 02:05 PM
Back when I used an air box.

I drilled numerous 3/4 inch holes in the lid, I took old t-shirts, sprayed them with water proofing spray, then sprayglued the inside of the lid, and stuck the shirt on there, waited for it to dry, cut the extra shirt off, and had a slightly water proof breathable pre filter.

it would come off if I wanted it to, for easy replacing.

I dont believe tent material is breathable?

Flynbryan19
07-08-2010, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83

I dont believe tent material is breathable?

Correct.

I tried to do this exact thing before I just bought some outerware material. Tent fabric does NOT breath. You can put an air source against it and try to blow air through it and it will not travel through the material.

firefighterjosh
07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Like what was said above, Tent material does not breath. Reason you have a air vent at the top of tents;)

The outerwear will be fine. You can throw water on it and it normally does not go threw. It normally only makes it way threw when you submerge it, which if you did that your in more trouble lol.