PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Sportsman 800 sputters and stalls

ks4wheeler
07-07-2010, 06:45 PM
My sportsman 800 was running fine for 2 hrs. Without warning it sputters and stalls. After I let it set for a short time I restarted and was able to ride down the trail for a mile or so before it did it again. When the key is turned on I can hear the pump but it will not start. Fan works, rad. is clean, heat tape is in fair condition on the fuel tank. After I let the machine cool down it starts and runs fine until it gets hot again. Any thoughts on what I person can ck.?

rundrave
07-07-2010, 10:11 PM
take the cover off the throttle and make sure the ETC (electric throttle control) is working right. there are 2 metal contacts in there, if they are touching the machine will die

adjust throttle cable accordingly to fix

ks4wheeler
09-18-2010, 05:54 PM
I replaced the fuel pump with a $28.00 pump and it seems to be fixed. Polaris wanted over $500.00 for pump and tank. I guess it was getting hot ,and with a weak pump until it cools off it will not pump at the correct pressure. I guess you live and learn.

Michael0641
04-05-2011, 12:19 PM
I was wondering if your Sportsman is still acting up or did the fuel pump fix it. Me and my wife were riding yesterday and hers shut off and we could wait a while and it would run fine for about 5 minutes and go dead. Sound like the same thing yours was doing?

ks4wheeler
04-05-2011, 04:24 PM
Just for the fun of it I loaded up the old four wheeler an ran it to the shop in our local town. The tech put his little pc on the four wheeler and everything ck out good. He drove the four wheeler around until it did it acted up and died. He then placed a pressure tester on the line and found that the pump was for sure the problem. I replaced it and have had no problems after that. Thats kind of the long and short of it. Hope this helps. It takes all of about and hr to change the pump out.

Michael0641
04-05-2011, 04:38 PM
Hers would backfire after trying to crank it for so long and would idle but as soon as the throttle was pressed it owuld just quit. Once we got home with it i drove it around the yard and as soon as it starting warming up it would die. It would idle most of the time but as soon as you touch the throttle it would quit. I drained the tank and carb and bought a new spark plug. i'm going to try new gas and spark plug first and will probably buy the pump. Cheapest new one on ebay was 55.00. Know of anywhere i can get one cheaper?

ks4wheeler
04-05-2011, 04:42 PM
Sounds like the samething mine was doing. Crazy thing is I have a blk one that is about the same age same mile and now its doing it. Pump is the first thing I am going to try on this one. I have new plug and gas. Let me know how it turns out for you.

Michael0641
04-09-2011, 05:39 PM
Drained the gas and the bowl on carb and put new plug in. Put 93 gas in and it has been running fine. Maybe just water in tank. I haven't been in the trails yet but will see how it does tomorrow.