PDA

View Full Version : 4 years in storage

sickmojave
07-07-2010, 06:33 PM
My 400 has been in storage for about 4 years. it had VERY low hours on it when it was parked. I cleaned the carb and changed the battery. going to change oil in it tomorrow. anything else i should do before taking it out for a ride?

a4guy
07-07-2010, 06:36 PM
Fresh gas. Dump a cap full of oil down the spark plug hole and turn it over a few short times to get the piston/rings and cylinder lubed up before actually starting it. Its been a sitting and sure its dry as a bone. Other then changing the fluids and what not it should be ready to rip.

sickmojave
07-07-2010, 06:43 PM
I drained all the gas before I stored it. I will oil the cylinder like you said. Thanks

a4guy
07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
Then you should be all good. Thats what I always do when something has been sitting for a long time. Your going to be happy to be back on the 400.

tri5ron
07-07-2010, 10:56 PM
I'm assuming that when you say change the oil, that you are also going to change the oil filter.

You might also want to replace the fuel line, and check/clean the screen filter in the petcock.

Check the intake boot for any cracks or air leaks.

If the airfilter was a foam type, it has probably rotted. I'd replace it anyway, even if it was a oem filter.

It would also be a good idea to soak/lube the chain.

Check the tires for rot, cracks, and look very closely at the valve stems for cracks.