PDA

View Full Version : bike turns into a nightmare

bens250ex
07-07-2010, 12:22 PM
has anyone else had this prob when they rebuild a bike everything just turns into a nightmare?? well its happening to me it seems like everything that can go wrong is going wrong. Started with valves not being cut correct then went to Poweder coater took over a month to get stuff done then broke inner clutch hub just 5 mins ago i broke the clutch basket....what else will happen i just want the damn bike to run again my g/f wants to ride her bike and well i keep ****in it up lol....i wanna kill this bike. oh yea gotta buy a new clutch as well since i tore up some of the material on the plates....sad part is i have done this stuff before with no problems but this time is diff its a damn nightmare.:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

DnB_racing
07-07-2010, 12:26 PM
take your time, relax and enjoy working on it! thing always come out better when you truly enjoy what your doing

CJM
07-07-2010, 01:42 PM
Things take time, I just did a full topend rebuild+bore job and it took over 2 months to complete and it still needs further tuning.

chucked
07-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I had that happen with a boat, here are the before and after pictures.

chucked
07-07-2010, 02:17 PM
After...

Guy400
07-07-2010, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by chucked
I had that happen with a boat, here are the before and after pictures. LOL...one of my employees was just telling me a similar story today about a boat he bought. It's a 17' Something-or-other 4 cylinder inboard/outboard. He bought it on the spot for $700 cause he thought he was getting a deal. He gets it home and puts in the water and instantly it starts taking on water. He pulls it out of the water and sees that the seal around the prop shaft is shot and the guy wrapped it in electrical tape so it would look pretty. He buys a new seal and puts it in and then starts it up and it just sounds weird. He takes the oil cap off the valve cover and the oil is milky...water in the cylinders. Has the head milled and a new head gasket put on. Takes it out again and things seem to be fine until the engine suddenly revs high but the prop stops turning. Pulls the cover off the drive mechanism and finds the teeth on the ring gear completely sheared off. Has to be pulled in to shore and he goes and fixes that. Getting ready to take it back out again and when he goes to sit down the captain's chair just falls over. He pulls the carpet up and the deck is completely shot so now he replaced the wood and carpet. He said he's now in about $2000 for a $700 "deal" and wishes he'd have just saved his money and bought a $3000 boat and had a better starting point.

CJM
07-07-2010, 02:55 PM
sounds like my friends EX.

Buys it, kid dont want to let us run it around the yard to much-but whatever.

So he rides it maybe 2 hours and I swing by his house and everyones outside listening to it and it sounds awful. Pull the dipstick and oil cam FLOWING out, overfilled like 2 qts.

So then we get it fixed and check everything over and it seems fine and he rides it 2-3x for a few hours. Then the timing tensioner fails so he decides lets do a topend rebuild to it too. at least 90% of the bolts onthe valve cover are stripped, the caps for the valves look like someone took them off with a chisel and hammer.

Okay fix all that..even tho I said replace timing chain and guides he refuses-says he is outta funds. Tensioner fails again, also notice rear bearings are shot..

Worst part-he paid like 2500 bucks for basically a busted quad. I mean I had to sink cash into mine, but it did run great beforehand.

chucked
07-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Almost the same thing!! Except I had a blown head gasket, replaced that then found a crack in the head, replaced that then found a crack in the block. Bought a newer used motor only to find it was no good either. Put the boat on craigslist for parts, more or less had it stripped 100%. Took it to work and ran it over with a cat 973 track loader

chucked
07-07-2010, 03:03 PM
The tensioner was probably ok in the ex, just needed a timing chain

One_Bad_400
07-07-2010, 03:09 PM
when you mess with stuff. stuff always happens. just put the bike back together and leave it be

Jigsaw
07-07-2010, 03:43 PM
Stuff like that is happening on my quad and I didnt even rebuild it. So far the axle has some play (not sure if its normal) valves need adjusted, rims slightly bent, tires are getting bald, clutch needs adjusted, rear rotors bent, etc. granted its just little stuff though.. Funny as I just paid it off last month, now everythings starting to wear lol

wilkin250r
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
That sounds like any project I've ever had, be it mechanical work on a car, boat, motorcycle, or any OTHER type of project. plumbing, flooring, cabinets, ect ect ect.

Sounds perfectly normal to me, I'm not sure what the problem is?

trx310R#24
07-07-2010, 07:11 PM
i just put like 500 into a yz250 motor and it locked up on me... in 2 seconds... (iv built 100s of motors) never had one just lock after a rebuild so i think someone ****ed with it.

CJM
07-07-2010, 07:57 PM
The tensioner was probably ok in the ex, just needed a timing chain

It actually broke internally.

madskrillz2
07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
This happened with my old z400. But it was a z400 so I shouldn't have expected any different. First I had a crack in a water jacket and that took forever to find. Then I broke the frame about 4 different times. This is to go along with the 3 other times I broke it BEFORE the rebuild. Seat always popped off.

As for my latest, so far so good. I think I may need a new battery but that's it so far. I'm knocking on wood as I type this

slightlybent47
07-07-2010, 08:25 PM
After...

Sounds like me !!!! lol

bens250ex
07-07-2010, 08:50 PM
i was just trying to make it look better/prevent the engine from failing....turned into a failure lol i tried to buy a clutch basket off a guy on ebay but the dick wouldn't end it early jeez.....yea shat happens ohwell prob a sign i need to go back and check over some stuff. honestly i don't like to work on them like i use too lol

One_Bad_400
07-07-2010, 09:15 PM
ya same here. i used to love to go in the shop and work on my stuff. used to LOVE doing engine swaps. now if i have to work on my stuff, this is all you can hear while i'm working *** ***** ** ******** ** the ******** i hate ********** son of a ***** what the **** i hate you you piece of **** how the ****** **** ********************* ok i'm finaly finished. wait, WHAT THA *******************

bens250ex
07-08-2010, 09:01 AM
^^^^ thats the way it went yesterday lol

bens250ex
07-08-2010, 09:29 AM
some pics of how she is sittin lol as of now . the color is like a home depot orange not what we were going for. my g/f wanted a burnt orange..........but atleast the homedepot orange has a nice sparkle when the sunlight hits it.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/bens250ex/load1133.jpg

One_Bad_400
07-08-2010, 11:51 AM
what rear shock is that?

rbgnwa45
07-08-2010, 02:19 PM
Why is regular maintenance considered a nightmare?

bens250ex
07-08-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
what rear shock is that?

rebuilt dual rate stocker

bens250ex
07-08-2010, 09:26 PM
Originally posted by rbgnwa45
Why is regular maintenance considered a nightmare?

b/c i broke alot of parts trying to do regular maintenance

One_Bad_400
07-09-2010, 03:16 PM
after lorettas i think i'm going to redo my bike for the SX season. hope i dont run into nightmares. but i usualy do.

John Noftsinger
07-10-2010, 03:18 PM
I just had one of those days as well when nothing seems to work out got a kazume 110 quad from friend for free he said trans locked up so i torn it apart unlocked it so i painted everything looked sharp cleaned motor looked new then had it running put it back together ready to ride and it locked up again took apart again and screw went in tran and chewed thing up so I pulled motor out and smashed with sleghammer! I found out the motor is a honda 110 atc copy and I can ship one to house for 150.00 new from china!

backwoodsracer
07-10-2010, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by bens250ex
some pics of how she is sittin lol as of now . the color is like a home depot orange not what we were going for. my g/f wanted a burnt orange..........but atleast the homedepot orange has a nice sparkle when the sunlight hits it.

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff1/bens250ex/load1133.jpg i see the prolem, a hammer is never the right to for a mechanic.................hehe trust me

bens250ex
07-10-2010, 07:54 PM
^^^^ ha i wasn't even using the hammer for this portion of hell lol. ohwell guess it will just be more time before we can go ride. good luck hunter just start your breathing exercises a week in advance so you will be nice and chill lol or just wait till you don't have alot going on and everything f'n up at once wont piss you off