PDA

View Full Version : secret to breaking bead?

EricB
02-02-2003, 09:04 PM
today i tried breifly to take my stockers off to put on my new razrs. but i couldn't really get it, i don't have a lot of experince changing ATV tires so i don't really know. there has to be some trick?

seven
02-02-2003, 09:12 PM
It is a pain to break a bead without the proper tools but i have a way to do it. If take your tire and lay it flat on a concrete surface, Then take a truck run over the tire so that the truck tire is right next to the bead of the rim it will pop the bead. If your truck isnt heavy enough put some wd40 on the bead and try again. I have changed many tires this way. Sounds crazy but it does work.Just make sure you are not running the rim itself over,

EricB
02-02-2003, 09:26 PM
yeah i took my dad's artic cat 400 and ran it over and it wouldn't flip it. i didn't take my truck and do it...maybe i'll try the artic cat again but spray the bead with WD40 or something.

02-02-2003, 10:24 PM
Dude your gonna need a bigger cat :D LMAO

If you dont have access to a full size truck try a car or bring it to a tire shop that knows how to and has the right attachments to do these wheels.

Or I guess you can just have fun running them over with the quad :)

killed300ex
02-03-2003, 05:19 AM
jsut use a car or truc it works good but you will prlly want a couple of pounds of tire pressure in the tire to make it pop the bead off once one side is one go and put a couple pounds of air in the tire and run over the other side then it should come off real easy after that. IF you want more info do a search for hillbilly bead breacker
killed

Sportrax10
02-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Dont waste your time, just do it the right way and bring it too a shop with the proper tools.

seven
02-03-2003, 10:29 AM
Taking to the shop is the easy way!

NoWingNoPrayer
02-03-2003, 06:09 PM
well i would say if you dont want the stockers jus Cut the D*m things off. a truck wont work to well unless the trucks tires are at like 70 psi. dont take it to a car tire place they arent very good at it. i think a bead breaker would be a good investment along with a tire spoon.

seven
02-03-2003, 06:29 PM
My truck will pop the bead right off. But it is a 1 ton diesal.

ridesa00400EX
02-03-2003, 07:17 PM
im gonna change my rim on my quad but luckily, i have auto shop in school and we have lab days everythursday. he has a bead breaker there. one question though. i need to buy a rim, ITP .190 9" to be exact. wheres the best place to buy one?

rider250ex
02-03-2003, 07:22 PM
all you need is a peice of pipe that is a little bigger than the rim and a cat 330 excavator...worked for me:D

02-03-2003, 07:25 PM
all you need is a peice of pipe that is a little bigger than the rim and a cat 330 excavator...

Hey never thought of that..... just pull out one of those 10" pipes from behind the sofa and pull the ole cat 330 from the garage :rolleyes:

I bet it works better than the truck thing though LOL

EricB
02-03-2003, 09:30 PM
man that would work awesome for any tires pretty much hehe. wish i had acess to an excavator.

DUNEZRUNNER
02-03-2003, 10:57 PM
We were at the dunes one day and had a quad with a leaky bead, we spent over an hour trying to clean the bead and then put fix a flat in it and it still leaked, so we decided to take the bead off and clean the bead. At first I tried with a hammer and a big screwdriver trying to pry the tire off of the bead, but that didnt work. So I got to thinking, we are all at the dunes with Toy trailers and such, so why not use one of those heavy beasts jacks to do it. I layed down a sheet of plywood that we had found and then stuck the tire on its side with the valve core out of it. I lowered the jack while a friend positions the tire so that the bottom of the jack fit right under the lip of the wheel, and about a half a second later the tire was debeaded and we were cleaning the bead. I am thinking of making som sort of device that fits on the jacks and fits the bead perfectly and trying to sell them. This idea worked out great and was easy on our backs and the rims.

Thomas

Sparks425Ex
02-04-2003, 05:26 AM
Just take it to the Tire SHop. It is much easier and it will only cost ya 5 to 10 bucks.