PDA

View Full Version : Travis Spader's - Dual Carb TT Setup 250r

troybilt
07-07-2010, 07:07 AM
Do any of you remember this bike back in the early 90's? I came across the article last night in one of my old mags. I'd scan it, but not allowed on this site anymore.

He was running dual 38 Lectron carbs, the cylinder was modified, and frame had to be modified. It was truly a unique beast.

Seems like alot to me.

jcs003
07-07-2010, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by troybilt
Do any of you remember this bike back in the early 90's? I came across the article last night in one of my old mags. I'd scan it, but not allowed on this site anymore.

He was running dual 38 Lectron carbs, the cylinder was modified, and frame had to be modified. It was truly a unique beast.

Seems like alot to me.

i remember that. thought it was 36mm lectrons but many years ago.lol. is the engine builder known?

tt racer
07-07-2010, 02:10 PM
Im thinking Duncan.

troybilt
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
i remember that. thought it was 36mm lectrons but many years ago.lol. is the engine builder known?

I didn't read it all the way thru. I'll do that tonight and post back what it says. I thought LRD, but I thumbed threw so many articles its hard to say.

greazee_G
07-07-2010, 04:47 PM
Tom Carlson of TC Racing Engines was the builder of that unique set-up. He did the same thing with one of Travis 250X engines

C41Xracer
07-07-2010, 05:48 PM
I remeber the 250x set up. I would like to see pics of the R.

woodsracer144
07-07-2010, 06:54 PM
would you scan it and e-mail me?

rockingkfarms
07-07-2010, 07:23 PM
I don't remember the R but I remember his 250X. Tom Carlson (TC Racing) built it for Travis to race TT on. It used dual Lectron carbs, a modified stock 250X chassis, and I believe was a gold colored big bore motor. Travis was extremely fast on this thing in the early 90's.

dustinshuler
07-07-2010, 07:59 PM
I remember that well I 2 have the old magizine! I thoughtIi was the only one that kept all the old mags!lol Travis one a lot of races back then. The first national I ever went to back in 93 Travis ran his first 250 2stroke race and one the race. It was a stck frame with gold tc engine lectron carb and lrd pipe also had works shocks and Travis was wearing orange gear racewear gear. I thought he was awesome! That was the good old days

hittherevlimit
07-08-2010, 02:40 AM
if you ever get a chance to go to toms shop, he has pics of it on the walls, and i beleive the article is hanging there too.

troybilt
07-08-2010, 07:15 AM
You guys are good! Sharp memory. I read the article last night. It was TC racing. It was gold colored motor, looked cool.

Couple of tidbits on the motor, the cylinder was modified extensively and they used 2 CR125 read cages. They were 30mm Lectron, Tom was a fan of the lectron carbs and they hooked him up. The frame was stock and had to be cut and modified to allow room for the aircleaners.

Tom's thoughts on the project, were to get the huge top end that they wanted without radical porting, thus improving reliability.

I don't have a scanner at the moment, but bare with me I'm on the look out for one.

Dustin, I sort of collect the old mags. I really enjoy reading them. I used to carry 3 or 4 of the mags with me everywhere I went when I was a kid...

leager-n-ky
07-08-2010, 04:07 PM
I have a pic of Me and Travis standing next to his 250x 91-92 somewhere in there. He was a very nice guy, in 2001 Travis Spader won Gnc title, Travis Pastrana won 125 Nationals, and my youngest son Travis Trimble was born.
Dustin, Do you remember Justin Stallard ? Or Benny Jackson??

K-Dub
07-08-2010, 05:24 PM
I remember Ben Jackson, he is from here in Ohio. He rode for TC then for Duncan if memory serves me right. I raced against him in 96 at the Old Washington county fair, needless to say he put a lap or 2 on me. It is one of my great memorys though, as he passed me to put me a lap down we where heading into the infield section(no jumps) and I was able to stay right on his grab bar through that section. After the race he hunted me up to see what kinda of engine work I had done, as Im twice his size or more. It was all Duncan bolt on stuff with a stock cylinder. It did run good but it was slick in the infield (wet grass) and I think it was traction from the extra wieght not horsepower that let me hang with him. Still a great moment when a pro comes to you about something at a local race. Ill never forget his words "thats gotta be a national engine, no offense but your twice my size". Now for a guy racing at 350 pounds thats a compliment.

I remember reading the article, I also kept all my mags. Lost some when a water pipe broke in my basement.

ml250r
07-08-2010, 08:48 PM
I raced an indoors w Ben in jackson ohio. He was way quicker than me! yea i seen him give me the old blow by twice in that race! lol kinda funny later on i met my woman and come to find out she knows his family and her parents dont live that far away from them! small world

dustinshuler
07-08-2010, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by leager-n-ky
I have a pic of Me and Travis standing next to his 250x 91-92 somewhere in there. He was a very nice guy, in 2001 Travis Spader won Gnc title, Travis Pastrana won 125 Nationals, and my youngest son Travis Trimble was born.
Dustin, Do you remember Justin Stallard ? Or Benny Jackson?? yes i do rememberJustin from4 stroke pro am. He was one of the first to have a 250rx. Ben Jackson and I were good friends he is from Raymond Ohio and his dad Sam is a great guy to. I have lots of fond memorys with Ben but I have to tell this one. I was at Mt Morris PA racing in the 250a class and in sat morning practice my leager sparks bike quit running and my race was the first moto of the day and Sam saw me panicing and told Ben and the next thing I knew they had the plastic off Bens practice bike and Ben brought it over and told me to put my seat and plastic on it and ride the sh@t out of it. Imagine how cool this was at the time he was one of the fastest pros in the country. We put the plastic on just in time to get to the line and I pulled one of the only holeshots of my life and led 3 laps and finished 3rd in my heat (the shocks were only about 100lbs to light for me)lol. It was a TC powered leager.The next year Ben went to Duncan to replace Travis Spader. And later Ben and I were teamates on the Nacs Canondale team. If it werent for Ben having back problems I think he would still be racing. SORRY FOR RAMBLING I just love thinking about the good old days!!

K-Dub
07-09-2010, 12:10 AM
Thanks for the update on Ben. I always wondered what happened that he slowed down a little and then dissapeared.

dustinshuler
07-09-2010, 07:02 AM
I was thinking about it last night! TC had some awesome riders. Does anybody remember any of these names? Brad Fiesler,Judson and Joseph Farrow,Brad Warner,Jeremy Schell,Mike Mahann,Derick Wiseman,Mark Burns,Tom Miller Pretty much all of these guys ran some experimental stuff at one time or another from TC and most of them rode RX"S and graduated to the 250r and ran the pro class.

jbltz450
07-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Hey Dustin, what about Bryan Grogen? He was Brad Werners buddy and he also rode a 250RX. I first race against him in '99 at the PACE Offroad series in Houston,TX. Jeremey Schell won the main that with a huge upset of Tim Farr and Kory Ellis (Ellis was on the mayden voyage with his Laeger YZ400F!!! and it was sharp). Anyway Brad was riding a Laeger 250RX also and was in the top 5 if I remember right. Those were the good old days!!!!

dustinshuler
07-09-2010, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by jbltz450
Hey Dustin, what about Bryan Grogen? He was Brad Werners buddy and he also rode a 250RX. I first race against him in '99 at the PACE Offroad series in Houston,TX. Jeremey Schell won the main that with a huge upset of Tim Farr and Kory Ellis (Ellis was on the mayden voyage with his Laeger YZ400F!!! and it was sharp). Anyway Brad was riding a Laeger 250RX also and was in the top 5 if I remember right. Those were the good old days!!!! r u talking about Byron Goggins that was the owner of the video company that used to make all of the racing videos? He had a leager rx that had yellow plastic.

Conant19
07-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Any one find any pictures of the dual carb set up yet?? or know where they can be seen other than that issue of dirt wheels

quadrcr161
07-10-2010, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by dustinshuler
r u talking about Byron Goggins that was the owner of the video company that used to make all of the racing videos? He had a leager rx that had yellow plastic.

wow yall are bring up some old names, Byron was always nice when ever i talked with him. those were the best days of atv racing back then. i was never fast enough for anyone to remember me but ill never forget it, i met most of the top pros, was always wound up parkign next to the Chessens, and met Spader a few times, he was always a fast rider.

dustinshuler
07-10-2010, 12:32 PM
Are Jamie and PJ Chessen still racing sprint cars? Hey Troy, sorry for jacking your thread!

quadrcr161
07-10-2010, 09:50 PM
Are Jamie and PJ Chessen still racing sprint cars? Hey Troy, sorry for jacking your thread!

i think pj was the only one in the sprints, and when i worked for whowon.com i published a few stories about pj, one was him in an indy car hiw quote was something like " i wish they would spread some dirt on the track" i havent talked to them in years, we just always happened to park next to them at the nationals, we talked to denny and chuck, who drove their rig for them.

quadrcr161
07-10-2010, 09:51 PM

i think pj was the only one in the sprints, and when i worked for whowon.com i published a few stories about pj, one was him in an indy car hiw quote was something like " i wish they would spread some dirt on the track" i havent talked to them in years, we just always happened to park next to them at the nationals, we talked to denny and chuck, who drove their rig for them.

dustin what all classes and years did you race? trying to think if we raced against each other. the last name sounds familiar.

troybilt
07-11-2010, 08:27 AM

No worries Dustin, I find your stories quite interesting!

jbltz450
07-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Dustin, I remember Byron, im pretty sure the guy I am thinking of was Bryan Grogan he used to travel with Brad Werner back in the day. Anyway, where you at Red Bud in 01 or 02 when there was huge wreck during the holeshot of the 250A main? I was there pitting for Nate Leverenz (your old NAC's team member). I wish they still did the pit crew challange race like they used to do at Loretta's.

K-Dub
07-11-2010, 05:06 PM
Do any of you guys know what happened with Mark Earhardt that he quit racing the Nationals mid season 98? A person at DRI told me that Mark had some problems and wouldnt race the Nationals again. The person started to tell me what happened and stop said he better not go into detail. I never seen anything in the mags and the internet wasnt that big yet back then. He was always my favorite rider and just always what happened.

quadrcr161
07-11-2010, 05:29 PM
since there is some old school knowledge here and the topic has derailed i have a question. does anyone know who the pro was that wrecked at the loretta lynns tt national that sued and had the tt removed from the final? ive heard several rumors and its always been the same guy/team.

dustinshuler
07-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Originally posted by jbltz450
Dustin, I remember Byron, im pretty sure the guy I am thinking of was Bryan Grogan he used to travel with Brad Werner back in the day. Anyway, where you at Red Bud in 01 or 02 when there was huge wreck during the holeshot of the 250A main? I was there pitting for Nate Leverenz (your old NAC's team member). I wish they still did the pit crew challange race like they used to do at Loretta's. yea I was there I finished 3rd in open A in 02 but dont rmember 01 Nate and I were good friends so Im sure you and I probably met!Its funny nate has twin girls now and I have twin boys.The pit crew challenge was cool. I think it stoped because Justin Gandy was hurt so bad that one year.

dustinshuler
07-11-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by K-Dub
Do any of you guys know what happened with Mark Earhardt that he quit racing the Nationals mid season 98? A person at DRI told me that Mark had some problems and wouldnt race the Nationals again. The person started to tell me what happened and stop said he better not go into detail. I never seen anything in the mags and the internet wasnt that big yet back then. He was always my favorite rider and just always what happened. Im not sure at all just rumors but I was told that Mark thought he was somewhat of a rock star and thought that he deserved special treatment and didnt get it and got mad and decided he would just race in cali. Again just rumors not what Dustin said!lol Jeremy Schell wound up marring Earhardts wifes sister. They are not togrther any more but next time I talk to him on fb Ill ask him.

dustinshuler
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
since there is some old school knowledge here and the topic has derailed i have a question. does anyone know who the pro was that wrecked at the loretta lynns tt national that sued and had the tt removed from the final? ive heard several rumors and its always been the same guy/team. I was there at that race Im not really sure what happened but I do remember that year there was a tree in the middle of the track I dont remember if he hit it or just wrecked but I think it was a ametuer not a pro and I did hear that he was paralized and that was the end of tt at lorettas. That sucked because as a mx racer that track was more suited for me to race tt because it was the roughest tt track ever!!

quadrcr161
07-11-2010, 09:17 PM
yea 1st practice freaked me out with that tree there and it was bad because if i remember right it was in the middle of a turn. i came back in telling people there was a tree and they didnt believe me. i dont remember if it was that year or not, but the next year at the riders meeting i remember them saying something about it breafly and it was a pro. by the time lorettas came around we have already hear rumors but nothing for sure. what ive always heard was a pro broke his legs off the start and wasnt able to run the tt and the mx which lost his chance for a championship to beat denton and the sponsor, sued because he still had to pay the remainder of the contract and i havent heard of those motors after that.

dustinshuler
07-12-2010, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by quadrcr161
yea 1st practice freaked me out with that tree there and it was bad because if i remember right it was in the middle of a turn. i came back in telling people there was a tree and they didnt believe me. i dont remember if it was that year or not, but the next year at the riders meeting i remember them saying something about it breafly and it was a pro. by the time lorettas came around we have already hear rumors but nothing for sure. what ive always heard was a pro broke his legs off the start and wasnt able to run the tt and the mx which lost his chance for a championship to beat denton and the sponsor, sued because he still had to pay the remainder of the contract and i havent heard of those motors after that. It was Doug Gust that broke his leg off the start that year and his motor sponsor was Krank-it racing. I dont know anything about the other stuff though.

atvmxr
07-12-2010, 11:04 AM
Im not sure at all just rumors but I was told that Mark thought he was somewhat of a rock star and thought that he deserved special treatment and didnt get it and got mad and decided he would just race in cali. Again just rumors not what Dustin said!lol Jeremy Schell wound up marring Earhardts wifes sister. They are not togrther any more but next time I talk to him on fb Ill ask him.

this...

the sport was shrinking - towards the east coast. It was getting to where there were no races west of the missisppi. Mark got into Baja and that 24hr race over in France

jcs003
07-12-2010, 11:39 AM
i know of the reverse set-up too. i remember them selling single carb set-ups for banshee and i think the 660 raptor. was there a benefit beside tuning in this set-up?

woodsracer144
07-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
i know of the reverse set-up too. i remember them selling single carb set-ups for banshee and i think the 660 raptor. was there a benefit beside tuning in this set-up?

i dont think they were very fond or crazy over the single carbs for the Shees...

rockingkfarms
07-12-2010, 08:58 PM
Kim Kuhnle and most of the GNCC racers were fond of the Motofast 2 into 1 setup on the Banshees. We built one almost identical to his and although it ran well I can't say I was very fond of the Banshee as a whole.

jcs003
07-13-2010, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by rockingkfarms
Kim Kuhnle and most of the GNCC racers were fond of the Motofast 2 into 1 setup on the Banshees. We built one almost identical to his and although it ran well I can't say I was very fond of the Banshee as a whole.

i also had a banshee before the 400ex came out and i never got to use the power as it came on too late for trail riding.

i remember kim kuhnle on a banshee. he always had screens taped over the radiator as" tear-offs" to keep air on the radiator when mud would build up.