PDA

View Full Version : Shopping for yfz450

xtullyx16
07-06-2010, 02:42 AM
Hey all,

I've recently decided im in the market for a used yfz 450.. I fell in love back again with woods riding and I really feel my 426ex isnt what i want right now.. I'd like to keep it and get a yfz but I cant.. nothing beats that reliability. On the aspect of reliability, what are the good years of the yfz? I really liked my brothers 2004 yfz but Ik they had crank issues or atleast the 2005 year had them.. regardless I was probably lookin for a near stock yfz around 2500-3500 or xc ready bike..

Also isnt their some kind of carb fix that you do to the earlier yfz that helped open up the carburetor?

I hate to be stereotypical of the yamaha reliability but the yfz is a race bike and yamaha doesnt have the best reliability history, given most of the problems are user error.. so how is the reliability of a near stock yfz 450 (stock motor, shocks, aarms, axle, exhaust, filter, graphics :D )

Whats the difference for fi yfz vs. carb yfz any big flaws or issues? one easier to maintain then the other?

yfzrider690
07-06-2010, 05:26 PM
No quad is gonna be reliable if you don't take care of it. I have a '07 and have had it for three years and haven't had one problem with it. If you get a used one try and get a '07 or newer, they added the oil squirter that lubes the piston better, if you get a older one you can do the mod to them also. Plus the '07 and up have the most changes to them.

xtullyx16
07-06-2010, 07:53 PM
well yeah dude, thats kinda what i said in my post.. but ****t.. whats the price range for a near stock yfz? 450r compared to yfz in woods, what do you guys think is the better stock starting out?

yfzrider690
07-06-2010, 07:57 PM
Stock for stock the yfz450r is gonna be way better because of the suspension, but they are almost to wide for the trails. You should be able to pick up a nice '07 for around 3500 or so. Also there is no carb mod that opens it up, there is the zipty mod that helps the accelerator pump work a little better. I would check out yfzcentral.com and do some reading over there, you will learn a ton of info.

xtullyx16
07-06-2010, 08:00 PM
alright.. will do. My buddie is pushing me to check out the suzukis.. but idk if i want to mess with FI

yfzrider690
07-06-2010, 08:03 PM
Personally I wouldn't go with one unless it's a newer one and even then I probably wouldn't. The early ones have tons of problems with the trannys and the axles are weak. I wouldn't be afraid of the fuel injection though, there all gonna be that way sooner or later, it does suck you have to buy a 300 programmer though.

xtullyx16
07-06-2010, 08:06 PM
i just dont wanna hve to dive in their cuase ill have no idea what the hell im doing.. that stuff can get pretty complicated.. but yeah my friend just said the same thing, weak trannys... i can fix the axle issue unless its how its positioned in the swingarm

yfzrider690
07-06-2010, 08:09 PM
I think it's just that they have weak axles. I have ridden a couple other 450's and I like my yfz way better. I like how it sits and handles compared to the others. I have a lot of stuff done to mine, but even if you plan on leaving it stock you will still like it. If all you do is add exhaust and filter it will really wake it up and be like a different bike.

xtullyx16
07-06-2010, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by yfzrider690
I think it's just that they have weak axles. I have ridden a couple other 450's and I like my yfz way better. I like how it sits and handles compared to the others. I have a lot of stuff done to mine, but even if you plan on leaving it stock you will still like it. If all you do is add exhaust and filter it will really wake it up and be like a different bike.

yepp.. this is true. My brothers yfz was a beast.. it walked many quads.. granted its mostly user in drag race but i always liked how the bike felt