PDA

View Full Version : Question and stuff.

fat guy
02-02-2003, 07:05 PM
i drive a 400ex. dont wanna hurt my baby. it has a fast top speed, does keeping it open more than 3/4 throttle hurt it? just wondering cuz you can leave a jetski WOT all day, are quads the same?

GNCC#829
02-02-2003, 07:15 PM
It hasn't hurt mine yet!

lil400exman
02-03-2003, 11:33 AM
it can hurt a 2-stroke but not a 4 stroke just as long you have enough air going through the fins and the right oil you'll be fine..................but with like a 250r you can hold it open for awhile but not forever or your piston will have a hole burnt through it.............which is not good youll lose all compression and it will fill ur crankcase full of oil/gas and its just a bad combo all around.......

YZROOSTINYA
02-03-2003, 12:25 PM
what 2 stroke you riding?

my 99 yz250 had no prob pegged in 5th.

2 stokes get better lubrcation when there on the gas as oppossed to off the gas, unless your lean there shouldn't be a prob

please correct me with REAL info if I'm wrong

fat guy
02-03-2003, 04:04 PM
ok, so i dont have to worry about stuff just rattling loose and exploding inside my motor at high rpms or anything? just overheating it looks like right?

honda400exrider
02-03-2003, 04:22 PM
i ride wide open on the beach for a few minutes, mines 2 years old now and nothing wrong with it...

trailburner
02-03-2003, 04:40 PM
I ice race mine, 4-laps wide open!!mine still holds true compresion,just make sure your running good oil,& your not running lean, & you can stay on the pipe!!!!

Rebel300
02-03-2003, 04:53 PM
*YZROOSTINYA* How can u hold ur yz wide open. I was always told that u cant hold them wide open. When i bought my CR125 the dealer said that u cant hold it wide open, and everyone i met said the same thing, They r such hi performance motors that u will tear them apart if u ride it wide open in fifth for a while. When u said u can do it on urs do u mean like a minute or two or longer???

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 04:28 AM
somebody needs to teach me something them because the ONLY i rode my bike was wide open

I used to hit hill climbs all day long up and down wide open in third the whle wayt up then back down, i would go through a tank of fuel (2.1gal) in less than 30mins.

i would ride the tracks pinned in 5th for a good 2 mins. granted i left off here and there but the majority of the time i was pinned.

2 stokes are lubricated when your on the gas, not off it.

if anything i would see 4 strokes blowing up before 2 strokes. there are no cam/valves/springs/timing chain in a 2 stroke. alot less weight to throw around.

i rebuilt my bike every 25-50 hours depending on if i was doing rings or piston and rings. my rod was still tight as **** three years later when i sold it. i was meticulous with upkeep so maybe this helped. i have never heard of what you are talking about.

i will look into it and ask around and see what i hear.

but thats how i have ridden them and never had a prob

YZROOSTINYA
02-05-2003, 04:30 AM
rebel, if there so high performance wouldn't that mean you can hold them wide open? there meant for it?

like i said i will ask around

Rebel300
02-05-2003, 11:56 AM
OK. I didnt mean to start a fight or anything just so u know, Im not saying its impossible. You do have a good point since u rebuilt ur bike every 25-50 hours. That could be a good reason for it not blowin up.

muff
02-05-2003, 02:31 PM
Originally posted by Rebel300
OK. I didnt mean to start a fight or anything just so u know, Im not saying its impossible. You do have a good point since u rebuilt ur bike every 25-50 hours. That could be a good reason for it not blowin up.

yeah i always heard that if you hold a two stroke wide open you'll sieze ur piston, actually that happened to a kid around here was goin down the road, I dont know the details tho

theres a difference between riding through the gears pinned and riding through A gear pinned

DGR Designs
02-05-2003, 02:40 PM
i don't really likerunnin mine out. i hate the thought of floatin or droppin a valve or sumthin

TRX_Thumper
02-05-2003, 08:27 PM
yeah im not a fan of ridin em wide open 5th pegged down the highway for 30 minutes at a time...

YZROOSTINYA
02-06-2003, 04:53 AM
i wasnt taking it that way so were on the same page here, just trying to figure sumpin out. didn't mean to come off that way. I am just as curious as you!!!

personally i feel if its seizing its lean. or there is a clearance issue or sumpin. engines are meant to be beat, especially race motors. granted they need to be maintained too. i dont know about holding sumpin pinned for 30 mins either. i would hold it 90-95% not completely pinned too. well sometimes:D

think of it this way, its pinned, maximum air flow on the radiator, maximum oil and gas to cool the piston, maximum water circulation through water pump(although there could be foaming issue with the coolant) i had a boyeson water pump cover on the YZ which doubled the coolant flow on the pump, maybe this helped. it stopped spitting coolant after this mod.

i replaced the piston 3 times and the rings 7 times while owning the bike. it still had the cross hatching in the cylinder when i sold it after 3 years of riding it almost every weekend at 5-8 hours in 95% humidity and 90-100 PA heat. my filter was cleaned evey ride(weekend) oil changed religously. my clutch basket didn;t even have notches in it when i sold the bike and it was on the stock clutch. i used to lug it in third(shouldnt have been in 1st) then hold the throttle wide open and drop the clutch and hold on to make it up some hills. still no probs

i am seriously curious and I want to know. If you find sumpin out let me know. I will ask around.:devil

UglyMotha™
02-06-2003, 07:06 AM
truthfully i really don't believe that you will sieze your piston actually i'm pretty sure you won't, it's not healthy on a 2 smoke just think about how much wear is happening there compared to the 4-stroke when i had my sled the throttle stayed wide open more than it did any other position and it did no harm just sounded like it was bout to launch the pistions thru the heads so what would be the difference there between any other 2 smoker

Rebel300
02-06-2003, 06:34 PM
OK i will try tell u anything i find out. And when u have a motor floored, even though they r ment for it. It could end up loosening something/ breaking something because of the tremendous back and forth motion. The pin that holds the cylinder on must have alot of pressure on it from moving up and down dragging the piston stopping and then reversing in a split second, now think of doing that at 3,000 RPM. But if u maintain ur motor wich sounds like u do. I do basically the same mines at honda every 100 hours and i canhge the oil every 15-20 hours (2-3 rides). airfilter is cleaned every weekend. and all stuff that is broken/missing is repaired. Im just as curious as u to find out this anser.