PDA

View Full Version : how to pop a tire back on the rim need help fast!

honda 400ex 69
02-02-2003, 06:59 PM
when i was riding the outside of my rear tire came off could i take it to a gas station to like blow it back on?

the inside is still locked on only the outside broke the seal

toby400ex
02-02-2003, 07:05 PM
just air it up alot, and if air is slipping out somewhere sit on it while you air it up, it will be ready to go when you hear a loud pop or something, that means the bead is set, and too make it easier put some soapy water on the wheel. Or greasy hand cleaner.;)

honda 400ex 69
02-02-2003, 07:11 PM
thanks man

Fast-n-Furious
02-02-2003, 07:25 PM
Take the tire and center it on the rim and then take a tie down strap (one of the ones with the hooks and the buckle to hold the strap tight) with the strap wrap it around the center of the tire and hook the two ends together and tighten the strap as tight as you can so it pushes the edge of the tire to the edge of the rim and then pump it full of air until it pops and this will mean the bead is seated.The soapy water that is mentioned above is a good tip too. Hope this helps.
Ryan-

toomeyshee87
02-02-2003, 07:36 PM
WATCH YOUR FINGERS!!! sometimes they just pop back onto the bead and it will take your finger off!:eek: :confused2

toby400ex
02-02-2003, 07:51 PM
lol. the first time i put my tires on myself i was using some grease remover to help set the bead and when it did it scared the chit out of me and the goopy stuff flew all over me.:rolleyes:

atvdad36
02-02-2003, 08:08 PM
Use the ol, rope trick works every time.Take a rope wrap it around your tire, tie it in a knot then take a large screwdriver stick it under the rope,Then start turning it like a corkscrew.The middle of the tire will start caving in and the side wall will move outwards,Then put the air to it.Hope that helps

BigThumper33
02-02-2003, 09:04 PM
I always loved using gas and a match. Maybe it just cause it justifies playing with fire?!?!?! lol. Anyway just put a small amount of gas around the bed and inside the rim...small amount dont go nuts...drop the match and boom sets the bead. I saw it on tv once and had to try it at camp before(nothing else around). Works great, just make sure you put the fire out cause it usually starts the tire on fire.

NoWingNoPrayer
02-04-2003, 01:31 PM
Yeah Gas would work.. we used to do it on the 44 boggers cause even with about a 165 psi compressor it wouldent wor so we put a little ether in it and bam! i would worry about doing this on a atv tire though thats alot of pressure for that small a tire.

rope truck works good... but any air compressor that can shoot out alot of air at once will work like a charm.

sly400ex
02-04-2003, 02:30 PM
Ether!!! J/p:huh