PDA

View Full Version : engine troubles. help.

fatboy666
07-02-2010, 10:07 PM
so i just bought an 05 450 two days ago. i rode it today for the first time( well i test road it before i payed)

the kid i bought it from said its been sitting a while and hasnt had the valves adjusted in a while either. so i figured id have that done asap. was gonna take it to the shop tomorrow and figured id take it for a ride and see if anything else is wrong. i made it about 30 yards down my street and it shut off. i went to kick it and the kicker got tight. i played with it and it released. i hit the hot start lever and it fired over first kick. motor got real loud so i turned around and rode it back to my drive way another 30 yards. the exhaust sounded like i put a rag over it, all muffled and it died as i pulled into my drive way. i get off and notice is got oil leaking out of the head.

now what i need to know before the shop ripes me off for something that prob isnt broke. is it just the valves way out of adjustment and maybe a blown head gasket? it still has plenty compression.

anyone know?

also how are the HRC cams? might have them put the HRC kit in it ( piston and cam).

im new to the 450 and know nothing about the motor or else i wouldnt be taking it anywhere.

could someone let me know asap. thanks.

Baileygunns
07-03-2010, 05:09 AM
Pull your oil filter out and tell us what color the metal shavings are... Usually when you're kicker locks up like that it's either a crank bearing or a lower rod bearing... Might be looking at a complete rebuild.

Sucks cuz you just bought it.

HRC cam is awesome... The kits doesn't come with a piston however... Also with the 04/05 you're almost better buying the HRC jet kit and finding a cam then buying the complete kit. You can modify your air box lid to be an HRC lid and you can drill out the Breather like the HRC one and you can modify the snorkel in the airbox to be like the HRC one... Just a thought..

Worry about the issues you have at hand before worrying about an HRC kit... JMHO

fatboy666
07-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Yeh thanks man I only paid 2 grand for it so hopefully it doesn't cost more to fix it. Hahah