PDA

View Full Version : transmission problems...

fasterblaster09
07-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Have a 1998 honda accord, v6, auto transmission, and trying to figure out what needs to be done to fix the problem. I just got it, and knew the front motor mount was bad, making it shift sort of hard. But after driving it for about 100 miles in a day, when shifting to 2nd and 3rd, it revs high like it doesn't want to shift, and when it finally shifts, it shifts super hard most of the times spinning the tires. This has only happened a few times that it started doing it and those times was when I drove it a good bit in one day with lots of stopping and going. the motor mount thats bad has a small hose on the bottom of it which turns into a hard line that runs alone frame to under driver side of car, not knowing where it goes. Any ideas on what it could be? thanks, neil

CJM
07-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Try flushing the trans, but honestly it probably needs to be rebuilt.

The motor mount would also be a good idea to replace at the same time.

Those 2 dont cure the problem then yea, rebuild.

eastside 400
07-02-2010, 07:30 PM
flushing the trans at this point is a bad idea, it wont fix anything, the damage is done and the trans needs to be rebuilt, typically when you flush a trans that has problems that severe it will just make them worse

slightlybent47
07-02-2010, 08:20 PM
Check the throttle pensioning sensor.
My truck did that and I took it t pep boys and tested it and the tps was bad. I put in a new one and it fixed the problem.
Saved me thousands for a new transmission, when all that was wrong with it was a thirty dollar sensor.

When that sensor is bad it doesn’t know when to shift.

Scro
07-02-2010, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by fasterblaster09
Have a 1998 honda accord, v6, auto transmission, and trying to figure out what needs to be done to fix the problem. I just got it, and knew the front motor mount was bad, making it shift sort of hard. But after driving it for about 100 miles in a day, when shifting to 2nd and 3rd, it revs high like it doesn't want to shift, and when it finally shifts, it shifts super hard most of the times spinning the tires. This has only happened a few times that it started doing it and those times was when I drove it a good bit in one day with lots of stopping and going. the motor mount thats bad has a small hose on the bottom of it which turns into a hard line that runs alone frame to under driver side of car, not knowing where it goes. Any ideas on what it could be? thanks, neil

I just purchased a 2000 Accord myself. I called a buddy of mine that works at a Honda dealership to see if I needed to pay extra attention to anything. He said the two main things to watch out for are the water pump/timing belt, and the transmission fluid. He says that the transmission fluid should be changed every 30,000 miles, and is just as important as the engine oil on these motors.

Obviously, you don't want to drive like it is. I know it may turn out to be a temporary fix, but I would go ahead and change the transmission fluid, including a quart of Lucas. It may not fix it, but I don't think it's going to last much longer anyway if it's barking tires every time. What can it hurt?

krt400ex
07-04-2010, 03:11 PM
nah dude its got one of those fancy shift kits :blah:

fasterblaster09
07-05-2010, 11:54 AM
my buddy said he knows someone who can rebuild it for $500, does this sound about right?

Scro
07-05-2010, 11:58 AM
my buddy said he knows someone who can rebuild it for $500, does this sound about right?

That seems very cheap to me. I would make sure that came with a warranty.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Seriously check the TPS sensor, it may be that simple.

CJM
07-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
Seriously check the TPS sensor, it may be that simple.

its a honda, the TPS sensors dont generally fail. What he is describing is a slipping transmission, specially the fact it doesnt want to shift then shifts super hard when it finally grabs. The gears in the trans are toast.

He could clean the TPS-AFTER he removes it from the car so as to not suck up all crap in the engine.

500 bucks seems REALLY cheap, dont skimp.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by CJM
its a honda, the TPS sensors dont generally fail. What he is describing is a slipping transmission, specially the fact it doesnt want to shift then shifts super hard when it finally grabs. The gears in the trans are toast.

He could clean the TPS-AFTER he removes it from the car so as to not suck up all crap in the engine.

500 bucks seems REALLY cheap, dont skimp.

Here let me clarify it for you, my truck did the same thing. Shifting hard and slipping and all that was wrong was the TPS. $30.00 part fixed the problem and it’s been fine ever since.
Pep Boys will test it for free.

Just sayin check it before you spend any money.

CJM
07-05-2010, 08:01 PM
Here let me clarify it for you, my truck did the same thing. Shifting hard and slipping and all that was wrong was the TPS. $30.00 part fixed the problem and it’s been fine ever since.
Pep Boys will test it for free.

Just sayin check it before you spend any money.

Interesting....I still find it hard to believe but possible. usually when a sensor goes bad the check engine light comes on-no light means no codes.

What kinda truck do you have btw.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Chevy ½ ton with a 350 and 4 speed auto. I had a guy all set up to do my transmission and I gave my uncle a call, he works as a parts manager for a Cadillac dealer, and he told me to check the TPS. And sure enough that’s what it was, I took it to pep boys and they put there machine on it and it gave a code for the TPS.
I changed that out and “presto” problem solved.

That sensor tells the transmission where the throttle is and tells it when to shift.
I would have never thought to check for that sensor, in fact I didn’t even know what it was till then. Lol

fasterblaster09
07-05-2010, 08:20 PM
its his dads buddy that can do it. He did my friends transmission on his 94 chevy truck. I just been using the car to go around town lately, Ive taken it a couple times to my mothers which is about a 45 minute drive one way and it hasnt done it bad. It doesnt feel to be slipping, just doesnt want to shift right away. it will be a couple months before I would have the cash to fix it anyway, just started a job working offshore so im waiting to be sent out.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 08:22 PM
By the way I will buy him dinner next time I’m in Maryland, he saved me $1200.00 that I was going to spend on the new transmission.
That one little call saved me big money.

CJM
07-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Yea chevy, that does make sense. Generally hondas dont have issues with the TPS is what I am getting at-but anything possible.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 08:32 PM
It’s very possible the trans is toast but I’d check everything else first like the TPS, trans fluid level, vacuum hoses shifter leaver. Anything that may effect shifting.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 08:34 PM
It’s very possible his trans is toast but I’d check everything else first like the TPS, trans fluid level, vacuum hoses shifter leaver. Anything that may effect shifting.

oops
man whats with all my type o's today.

fasterblaster09
07-05-2010, 08:35 PM
any idea what the little line going to the bottom of my motor mount could be? whatever it is, the motor mount is gone so it can't be doing any good

CJM
07-05-2010, 08:39 PM
Could be a vacuum line, could be nothing.

Replace the motor mount and see how it acts before you do anything.

slightlybent47
07-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Hey it never surprises me when it comes to fixing things, that could be part of the problem. That’s something you can do yourself so I’d get that done an see what happends.

fasterblaster09
07-06-2010, 08:18 PM
yea I think that's what I will try first when I get a little spare cash, I will let yall know. thanks for the input. hopefully it's as simple as that

CJM
07-06-2010, 08:26 PM
Depending on which mount it is I would look into replacing it fairly quickly as sometimes the exhaust can snap b/c the motor moves to much.

fasterblaster09
07-06-2010, 08:37 PM
front what I understand, its been like this since he had it (the guy I got it from), so its been bad for at least 4 or 5 months

Exrider434
07-06-2010, 08:47 PM
front what I understand, its been like this since he had it (the guy I got it from), so its been bad for at least 4 or 5 months

regardless, its still not good for the car to be driven that way, also considering the part is most likely less than 100 bucks, i'd take care of it soon.