PDA

View Full Version : new rear sprocket

jcole1988
07-02-2010, 12:57 PM
Thinking of buying a new rear sprocket for my '01 400ex. Mine is becoming warn, and im trying to decide what sprocket to buy. Any recommendations? Also i could use some direction on installing it.

slightlybent47
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Very easy install, but I recommend getting both the front and rear at the same time along with a new chain.
I also recommend a steel sprocket over aluminum, it will last much longer.
I think there all pretty much the same as far as quality goes, I use suntech there cheap and last a good while. If you ride mx use a regular chain and not an o ring type, it will turn much easier and will use less hp to turn it.
You will have to cut the old stock chain because it wont have a master link.
Two bolts on the front and 4 on the back will get it done.
Make sure you have the chain adjustment all the way forward before you cut the new chain so you have some adjustment as it wears.
As for the chain I would get a good one with the highest tensile strength you can find.
Get a few extra master links so if you lose one you have a spar, those little clips tend to pop off when trying to put them on and when they do there hard to find.

JOHNDOE83
07-02-2010, 02:42 PM
I totally agree with everything stated above.

I buy larger size chains, I change sproket size alot depending on where I go riding, I sometimes use an extra bit of chain with another link to accomodate the larger or smaller sproket change.

slightlybent47
07-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Here is a speed calculator if you want to change the gearing.

Just put in what tire size you have and the sprocket size both front and back and it will tell you haw fast it will go in each gear,

http://home.earthlink.net/~gellett/400ex.htm