PDA

View Full Version : Oil Filter Cover Bolt

Sweaney
07-02-2010, 11:10 AM
Has anyone tried to repair the threads for the long bolt on the oil filter cover? Mine stripped out. Can you drill it out bigger and heli-coil it? Is there anything internally that will get damaged if I drill it bigger?

Sweaney
07-04-2010, 10:12 AM
anyone?

CJM
07-04-2010, 10:47 AM
Drill it out, but your gonna have to remove the case cover to get deep enough. Then tap it for a larger size, helicoils imho are ok on applications that you dont remove often.

jdog75
07-04-2010, 11:49 AM
i took my bolt to a fastenal store and told them i need the next size up bolt, tap and drill bit then i drilled the hole bigger makining sure i was strait the put the tap on a ratchet and slowly tapped it. it was an easy fix for under 5$

Sweaney
07-05-2010, 07:29 AM
ok, thanks guys. i have everything to drill and tap it larger but i just was not sure how much extra room there was for drilling it out to a bigger size.

togup
07-05-2010, 10:34 AM
stick some wire in the hole and measure the length of the wire most times the hole depth is greater than the bolt length so there could be enough threads left to secure a longer bolt, youll have to cut the new bolts threads then bevel the end slightly but it could be an alternative to drilling & tapping