PDA

View Full Version : FUBAR: need gasket advise.

flyboy1294
07-02-2010, 09:05 AM
Hey guys,
being the dumbass I am I forgot to get valve seals for my head. I thought that I had everything, but now that I have the pieces in my lap I am missing things.

Here is my question: I can only find these: EDIT:the damn link won't work. It's one of those eBay brands I think.
For valve seals. It is an entire top end kit, but it does include crush gaskets and valve stem seals. My question is, is the brand going to be an issue? I've never heard of Winderosa :huh
I will not use anything besides cometic in my engines, but I cannot find valve stem seals from them. And if the seals fail it will smoke like a train.

Will this be what I need; or do I need to look for other brands. If anyone can offer any help it would be greatly appreciated. I would like to order these today so I could get the head back together Monday.

Thanks guys.

/Jake

a4guy
07-02-2010, 09:41 AM
I have used Winderosa gaskets in the past and they seemed to be good quality. I used to use them while rebuilding my 2 strokes and never really had an issue with them. I would say that you will be safe using them if you can not find cometic parts.

flyboy1294
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by a4guy
I have used Winderosa gaskets in the past and they seemed to be good quality. I used to use them while rebuilding my 2 strokes and never really had an issue with them. I would say that you will be safe using them if you can not find cometic parts.

Alright awesome. I have checked with CT and Googled it and as far as I can tell, Cometic doesn't sell valve seals in any gasket kit.

The only alternative that I have found is to go with stock seals. They are $6.35 a pop, so it'd be $26 to get a full set... I can get the Winderosa kit for like $3 more, and it includes crush gaskets and other ones I can use as spares 'just in case.'

Unless someone else chimes in saying differently, I'll probably just order this.

sc400ex_rider
07-02-2010, 10:48 AM
The stock honda seals are the highest quality. The others not so much. If you get them from service honda or yamaha of troy you can get them for about $4 a piece but you still have to pay shipping so its best to throw them in on an order. its the classic dilemma pay now or pay later. if you have your head off often its not such a big deal to replace them again. But im sure 2 sets of bargain seals cost as much as 1 set of factory seals. :blah:

flyboy1294
07-02-2010, 10:55 AM
This head work has been the biggest PITA that I have ever experianced. I have spends thousands on this thing to make it built right. I'm not cutting corners now. If you're sure that the factor seals are the best option that is the route I'll go.

CJM
07-02-2010, 04:23 PM
I bought a complete topend gasket kit from cometic, funny it came with valve seals even tho they dont state it. Too bad I spent 20 bucks on honda ones.