PDA

View Full Version : welding aluminium bumpers?

hondariderdylan
07-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Well i managed to smack a tree yesterday cutting a corner too tight on my buddies trail system. The first one ripped the bars out of my hand and screw something up in my thumb (still not sure of what) and then with my hands off the bars rolled right into another tree and completely collapsed my AC racing bumper. The two lower tabs are broken off and the top mounts are bent all the way down with one of them about 2/3rds ripped off. I was wondering if it would be cheaper to have it welded up by a good welder or just replace it? My buddy thought i should but i would think it would be alot weaker? whats the best route to go with?

toby400ex
07-02-2010, 10:19 AM
I would say replace the bumper with one that wont get completely destroyed when you hit a tree.:D

Honda4LifeWes36
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Yeah my buddy had an AC bumper that he welded with an aluminum welder and its still holding up pretty good, (but that was only one mount)

So IMO, yeah, I would probably buy a new AC bumper!

hondariderdylan
07-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
I would say replace the bumper with one that wont get completely destroyed when you hit a tree.:D

if i wouldnt have done that it could have possibly broke something worse. When it collapsed it took all of that energy out on the bumper instead of the frame or me.

I am leaning twards a motorsport products desert bumper.

One_Bad_400
07-02-2010, 04:22 PM
ya, that bumper did its job. thats what you bought it for. same as a helmet. you buy it to crack, instead of your skull.

if it isnt to mangled, you can weld it back and it wont be weaker if welded properly. but you would probably pay a welder the same to weld it back as a new bumper would be. unless you know a buddy that can do it