PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on what kinda car,need some help!

S.A.J
07-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Got $10k to spend MAYBE $12k here's what I've been thinking so far.
2001 and up BMW 330CI Manual with sport Package
LS1 Trans Am 6 Speed
99-04 Mustang Cobra
MAYBE a really nice Foxbody Coupe 79-93
94-99 GSX Eclipse or TSI Talon
Newer 240sx
Subaru WRX

Thats about all I've thought about and I really need to narrow em down.I want a nice daily driver something I can go visit my gf who lives 7hrs away with,preferably gets decent mpg but packs a sizable punch though and preferably is not somthing you see 20 of the same thing you drive everytime you hit the freeway.All options must be manual,have ac,heat,and a back seat were an adult would have atleast someee room.

Any other sugestions for that price range are welcome too.
GodBlessYall
Discuss!!!!

yellowzo3
07-01-2010, 06:46 PM
The Subaru and BMW are the only cars that would have decent room for an adult in the back. I think you're choices would be between those two. Here's why the others won't work:

Trans Am- Bad gas mileage
Cobra- Bad gas mileage
Eclipse- I see those everywhere
Foxbody- kind of old and you might get tired of it on 7hr road trips
240sx- It IS rare but that being said you'll probably have to pay dearly for an unmolested one, and I'm not sure how big the back seat is

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I didn't know that 26-29mpg is bad? That's what the 6-speed Firebirds/Trans Am's get on the highway.

I would say the Firebird or the Cobra. It's a tough choice between the two. The Cobra would have worse gas mileage, and less off-the-bottom torque, but has a bigger rear seat. The Firebird has gobs of torque, GREAT gas mileage for a V8, but very cramped rear seat (For midgets)

Cobra is probably a little faster, but still nothing spectacular without a blower. Firebird has more bolt-on potential.

07-01-2010, 06:55 PM
WRX /thread. AWD, 4 cylinder turbo, sounds bad ***, looks bad ***, many mods to do, quick, and its JDM :p

ZBlaster
07-01-2010, 07:02 PM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
The Subaru and BMW are the only cars that would have decent room for an adult in the back. I think you're choices would be between those two. Here's why the others won't work:

Trans Am- Bad gas mileage
Cobra- Bad gas mileage
Eclipse- I see those everywhere
Foxbody- kind of old and you might get tired of it on 7hr road trips
240sx- It IS rare but that being said you'll probably have to pay dearly for an unmolested one, and I'm not sure how big the back seat is

Wow... uninformed much?

LSx cars and modular cars both can see VERY good highway mileage, even pretty good city mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.

240sx rare? LOL I see 3 on every street corner down here. Since the drifting craze began you can't drive 20 miles without seeing atleast one. Back seat is tiny as well.

Now...

330's can be fun, but still feel a little sluggish for me. If I'm going to get a 330 it's going to be one of the new ones.

LSx is always a good choice, small back seat though.

99-01 and 03-04 Cobra's are completely different. That being said you likely won't find a 03-04 in your price range, and the 99-01 isn't really that much bang for the buck. Basically a slightly hotter version of the 96-98.

Foxbody cars are always fun and cheap to build. Parts are everywhere.

I'm not a DSM fan... See crank, see crank walk, walk crank walk.

Every drifter fanboy and their brother has a 240sx.

WRX's will always be one of my favorite cars, and probably my choice off the list.

S.A.J
07-01-2010, 07:13 PM
K thanks for all the sugestions and opinions already! Here's some more info. My parents are gona be helping me out with geting some of the money by co-signing or somthing like that,I'll already have close to half of the $10k though. Theyre making me get something with a back seat so thats why i say back seat,it dont have to be like a family car though,long as a 5'7"ish persons head dont hit the roof in the back like on the audi tt we test drove.Leg room isnt THAT important but I supose the more the better yes.

I know the BMW aint got much for power-wise (0-60 5.8sec i believe) but I love the interior and its got class and one of the best looks I think.

What are things to watch out for on them wrx's?

The list aint limited to that so if yall got any other good sugestions that I aint mentioned shoot!

Oh yeah almost forgot here's another one
RX8 with the 6speed

07-01-2010, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by S.A.J
RX8 with the 6speed

Absolutely no!!! Those are slow as ****, sound like ****, are ****. They arent even a wankle rotary.

muddy400EX
07-01-2010, 07:26 PM
i have a firebird and would say no for you. firebird and mustangs would both have small seats. i would say wrx since you want back seat room

CJM
07-01-2010, 07:35 PM
Call me crazy, but your what less than 25 years old? Any one of those cars is going to KILL you in insurance b/c they are all faster, sporty cars. They are also what I term a "pull me over magnet", where in the cops are gonna make a bee-line to you no matter what and hassle ya cause they know what I am about to say..

As someone who has seen plenty of accidents and hauled alot of them away (both on the FD/EMT and as a tow truck driver) I can say without a doubt statically speaking your about 75% likely to do something stupid in such a car and or lose control. Its not a matter of if, but when. Take it with a grain of salt if you wish but ive been there and seen it first hand.

I'd suggest a nice camry or accord, hyundai sonata, or something similar. The newer ones are no slouch in the power dept, much cheaper than most of the stuff you listed and will be super easy on insurance. Oh and they will all have super comfortable rides and ample room. Also the ones you listed are VERY likely to get stolen and quite easy to steal.

If you gotta have one of the ones you mentioned then I would say wrx is the safest and decently fast and least cost to insure.

Use the above to make your own judgement, its still your call.

toby400ex
07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Get a 4wd extended cab truck....:p

CJM
07-01-2010, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Get a 4wd extended cab truck....:p

Thats always a good option :) They are cheap to insure and you can haul the quad in it :)

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2010, 07:55 PM
The insurance isn't that bad.. at least for me. The 93 formula cost's me $105 a month and I literally JUST got my license.

Maybe a 350Z if you could find one in that range? They're very nice cars.

CJM
07-01-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
The insurance isn't that bad.. at least for me. The 93 formula cost's me $105 a month and I literally JUST got my license.

Maybe a 350Z if you could find one in that range? They're very nice cars.

105 a month? I pay 53 dollars a month for my truck and recently called about having a fully insured newer truck and it was only gonna be 75 for full coverage for an 04 truck.. I had an 84 corvette and the ins was still only 82/mo for full coverage when I was 22.

Thats alot of money man, but I bet you dont have any tix or anything. Friend of mine in HS literally was a cop magnet and got alot of tix, he paid 3k a year for a trans am. I know NJ is high, but I would say 105/mo is still high.

JJs450r
07-01-2010, 08:01 PM
wrx if you wanna go fast bmw if you wanna be a baller lol cant go wrong either way its just what you want

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2010, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by CJM
105 a month? I pay 53 dollars a month for my truck and recently called about having a fully insured newer truck and it was only gonna be 75 for full coverage for an 04 truck.. I had an 84 corvette and the ins was still only 82/mo for full coverage when I was 22.

Thats alot of money man, but I bet you dont have any tix or anything. Friend of mine in HS literally was a cop magnet and got alot of tix, he paid 3k a year for a trans am. I know NJ is high, but I would say 105/mo is still high.

How old are you? I priced EVERY insurance company for state minimum coverage, and most were $199 and up. State Farm was the ONLY one to beat them, with $105 a month.

I'm only 16 brah, I got my license like 2-3 weeks ago. It won't take long for the prices to drop though.. My friend who's two years older then me only pays 200 a month for two cars both fully insured.

jesseweaver
07-01-2010, 08:19 PM
get an LS1 car, a WS6 if you can find one for 12g. the only good cobras were the 03-04s and your not gonna find any close to 12000. i've seen a few LS2 GTOs for sale for around that much too. im not a big fan of the gtos but i love the LS2

CJM
07-01-2010, 08:34 PM
How old are you? I priced EVERY insurance company for state minimum coverage, and most were $199 and up. State Farm was the ONLY one to beat them, with $105 a month.

I'm only 16 brah, I got my license like 2-3 weeks ago. It won't take long for the prices to drop though.. My friend who's two years older then me only pays 200 a month for two cars both fully insured.

Im 25 :D

I still didnt pay as high as you did even living in NJ. Then again I knew better than to even try and insure a fast car when i was your age.

I guess Im just past that stage of my life where I needed/wanted a fast car. Course I really woulda liked something that fast when i was your age. I built drag cars for the track tho, but none were street legal.

Titanium
07-01-2010, 09:05 PM
Look into 04-06 pontiac GTO. I picked mine up for 9k with 65,000 miles on it. Fairly cheap to mod and i get 27mpg on highway. Plus its way more comfy than any f-body and quite a bit more room interior wise. I'm more than happy with mine especially after i modded it:devil:

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2010, 09:16 PM
GTO's are sweet rides. Power/Performance of an F-body, but much roomier with a quieter, more refined ride. You can get the 6-speeds in them too.

I never cared for the looks too much, but they grew on me.

yellowzo3
07-01-2010, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
Wow... uninformed much?

LSx cars and modular cars both can see VERY good highway mileage, even pretty good city mileage if you can keep your foot out of it.

240sx rare? LOL I see 3 on every street corner down here. Since the drifting craze began you can't drive 20 miles without seeing atleast one. Back seat is tiny as well.

Now...

330's can be fun, but still feel a little sluggish for me. If I'm going to get a 330 it's going to be one of the new ones.

LSx is always a good choice, small back seat though.

99-01 and 03-04 Cobra's are completely different. That being said you likely won't find a 03-04 in your price range, and the 99-01 isn't really that much bang for the buck. Basically a slightly hotter version of the 96-98.

Foxbody cars are always fun and cheap to build. Parts are everywhere.

I'm not a DSM fan... See crank, see crank walk, walk crank walk.

Every drifter fanboy and their brother has a 240sx.

WRX's will always be one of my favorite cars, and probably my choice off the list.

I NEVER see 240sx's around here. DEAD SERIOUS. The one's I do see are beat to crap. Maybe they're popular down there but not around me.

And I don't care what people say, driving a Cobra or Trans Am around town or city is not going to compare to the gas mileage you get from driving a WRX or 330ci in the city. Ain't happening. Maybe cruising on the highway you'd get close but no not in the city. I'm sure he won't just be strictly on the highway so the gas mileage of those big V8's doesn't compare to the smaller WRX and 330ci. Don't get me wrong though, I love Cobras and LS1's as much as the next guy. :p

J.Brown121
07-01-2010, 09:28 PM
I would get the WRX man. It's just as fast as, if not faster than, the the other cars, and you have to back seat so you can have some buddies with you or have somewhere to take the ladies to :devil:

gncc025
07-02-2010, 01:16 AM
LS1 trans am.

My buddys got a camaro. Its been a good car and fast as hell.

07-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by gncc025
LS1 trans am.

My buddys got a camaro. Its been a good car and fast as hell.

mod list or its slow, wait... lol

ben300
07-02-2010, 06:28 AM

what did you have them quote you for? liability? Colision?

i think you'll be seriously mistaken if you think your rates are gonna drop much before your 25....

im 23, and have had my licence since as soon as i could get it when i was 16 here in PA, i have a completely clean record, no accidents, no claims, had drivers ed and all that poo, and my rates have barely dropped at all. and i pay just dollars over $1000 for full coverage on my explorer, and when i had my 2wd s10, i payed an extra $395 a year for collision, liability, and theft....

Hondamaster5505
07-02-2010, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by ben300
what did you have them quote you for? liability? Colision?

i think you'll be seriously mistaken if you think your rates are gonna drop much before your 25....

im 23, and have had my licence since as soon as i could get it when i was 16 here in PA, i have a completely clean record, no accidents, no claims, had drivers ed and all that poo, and my rates have barely dropped at all. and i pay just dollars over $1000 for full coverage on my explorer, and when i had my 2wd s10, i payed an extra $395 a year for collision, liability, and theft....

I just have state minimum.

ZBlaster
07-02-2010, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by yellowzo3
I NEVER see 240sx's around here. DEAD SERIOUS. The one's I do see are beat to crap. Maybe they're popular down there but not around me.

And I don't care what people say, driving a Cobra or Trans Am around town or city is not going to compare to the gas mileage you get from driving a WRX or 330ci in the city. Ain't happening. Maybe cruising on the highway you'd get close but no not in the city. I'm sure he won't just be strictly on the highway so the gas mileage of those big V8's doesn't compare to the smaller WRX and 330ci. Don't get me wrong though, I love Cobras and LS1's as much as the next guy. :p

I'd be willing to bet you could squeeze the same mileage out of an LSx car as you would out of a WRX or 330 in the city.

toby400ex
07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Id still say truck. I thought a quick car was cool for a while, until I realized there isnt much point in having it. Unless you take it to the track often all that power is useless besides making loud noises and looking cool. A nice truck is way more useful. And a Tacoma could get the same gas mileage as these cars you are talking about, and 10 or even 20 years down the road it will still be worth decent money.:chinese: .

A month after I graduated high school I went and bought a $15k coupe. I had been planning on doing it for about a year and saved up $10k and got a loan for the rest. 2 years later I sold the car because insurance was 2 much and I have a clean history too. I wish I had got a truck with that money, I would have been more likely to keep the truck.

Hondamaster5505
07-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by ZBlaster
I'd be willing to bet you could squeeze the same mileage out of an LSx car as you would out of a WRX or 330 in the city.

x2.. if you can learn to "baby" it, you can squeak 16-18mpg city out of an LTx/LSx.

And i'm willing to bet it gets better highway mileage. We had a forester before that wasn't even the turbo model, and it didn't get crap on the highway.

AWD takes some fuel.

muddy400EX
07-02-2010, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by toby400ex
Id still say truck. I thought a quick car was cool for a while, until I realized there isnt much point in having it. Unless you take it to the track often all that power is useless besides making loud noises and looking cool. A nice truck is way more useful. And a Tacoma could get the same gas mileage as these cars you are talking about, and 10 or even 20 years down the road it will still be worth decent money.:chinese: .

A month after I graduated high school I went and bought a $15k coupe. I had been planning on doing it for about a year and saved up $10k and got a loan for the rest. 2 years later I sold the car because insurance was 2 much and I have a clean history too. I wish I had got a truck with that money, I would have been more likely to keep the truck.

totally agree. my LT1 was fun for awhile, now i want a nice truck

07-02-2010, 11:23 AM
Get a 5.7L 6 speed auto Toyota Tundra, its faster than most those cars and I'm not joking either their 0-60 is like 5.7 stock in those huge *** trucks lol however cars are more fun and those only get 20mpg highway. I won't buy a car unless it gets atleast 20mpg. I know nobody wants this but my civic has a lot more backseat room than you would think, I get 28mpg driving normal with getting on it every so often banging gears. Lowest I got was 22mpg after messing around on the highway for 100 miles and 5 passes down the strip.

ben300
07-02-2010, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
Get a 5.7L 6 speed auto Toyota Tundra, its faster than most those cars and I'm not joking either their 0-60 is like 5.7 stock in those huge *** trucks lol however cars are more fun and those only get 20mpg highway. I won't buy a car unless it gets atleast 20mpg. I know nobody wants this but my civic has a lot more backseat room than you would think, I get 28mpg driving normal with getting on it every so often banging gears. Lowest I got was 22mpg after messing around on the highway for 100 miles and 5 passes down the strip.

i totally a gree with this about the civic...it is fairly roomy for a small car..the four door i mean

i also agree with what you said earlier, get the wrx

...or if you have $12-14k to speend, get a legacy gt with some mods done it to....

my roommate has a 05 legacy gt with a bigger turbo, front mount intercooler, full exhaust, tune, coil overs and rims....330 ponies.....

we call it the adult sti

07-02-2010, 11:56 AM
I love the newer Legacy GT's. My friend has one and he STI swapped it, I like it more because 1 it was cheaper, its nice, and it doesnt call attention like every other STI or WRX

ben300
07-02-2010, 12:35 PM
I love the newer Legacy GT's. My friend has one and he STI swapped it, I like it more because 1 it was cheaper, its nice, and it doesnt call attention like every other STI or WRX

ya, it jsut looks like a nice normal sporty sedan. it surpirses people how quick it is. it also serioulsy hugs the **** out of the road, even without the sti diffs...its a traction monster

its funny when you'll be riding around adn kids with no offense, civics and ****, pull up next to him, blaring their fart cannons, thinking he's slow cause its debaged and just looks like a normal legacy.

i really want my roommate to putt the sti diffs in his, but he wont spend the money to buy them....

...he has decided to spend his money a little differently....he recently bought ported sti heads with aftermarket cams...and he's looking for a blown 2.5 motor from an sti so he can do a 2.6 or 2.7 build on it....should be pretty wicked if he can get it to do 500 hp

Pipeless416
07-02-2010, 04:14 PM
LS1 FTMFW!!!! i'm a little partial though..:devil:

07-02-2010, 04:24 PM
elesjuan FTW in cars other than what they came in lol

CJM
07-02-2010, 04:31 PM
I just have state minimum.

That isnt a good thing if someone sues you. Specially if your insured under your parents-what the insurance wont pay they have to since its all tied together. If they got homeowners ins it will probably save you tho.

Just be aware of this when you get into an accident if you got the bare minimum coverage they pay the minimum out and if thats not good enough for the other party or whomever your SOL.

Not say it wont happen, but it can.

07-02-2010, 05:19 PM
Thats true people think oh I'll get the minimum but the problem is when something happens your *** might not be covered. My car, if it gets hit, stolen, w/e plain and simple I'm ****ed even with the best insurance because of the blue book value vs whats done and what it really sells for. So I have basic coverage for my car but a **** ton in insurance if I hit someone or something like that because theres the fear of someone now taking all your assets like your house, cars, and money which would make the person an overnight millionare. So I pay a **** ton in insurance so people cant come back at me and try to do that. That and for some odd reason my car to them was classified as a sports car, I loled and wanted to show them my time slips with the stock motor.

Canadian144
07-02-2010, 05:52 PM
WRX /thread. AWD, 4 cylinder turbo, sounds bad ***, looks bad ***, many mods to do, quick, and its JDM :p

+1. WRX is definitely the best choice. Though I may be a bit biased... lol

And the WRX is so easy to upgrade. Get a Cobb Accessport, a turboback exhaust system (Cobb, Perrin, etc etc), and a protune (the Cobb off the shelf Stage 2 is OK but not as good as a real dyno tune), and you're looking at a decent amount of hp, depending on whether or not you get one with the 2.0L block (02-05) or 2.5L block (06/07). A Cobb Accessport and turboback exhaust will generally run you between $1500 to $2000. Add an aftermarket suspension, new brakes, and new wheels/tires, and you've got an amazing sports sedan. Down the road you can upgrade to a FMIC, new turbo, STI 6 speed swap, etc etc etc.... and turn the car into an absolute BEAST.

K thanks for all the sugestions and opinions already! Here's some more info. My parents are gona be helping me out with geting some of the money by co-signing or somthing like that,I'll already have close to half of the $10k though. Theyre making me get something with a back seat so thats why i say back seat,it dont have to be like a family car though,long as a 5'7"ish persons head dont hit the roof in the back like on the audi tt we test drove.Leg room isnt THAT important but I supose the more the better yes.

I know the BMW aint got much for power-wise (0-60 5.8sec i believe) but I love the interior and its got class and one of the best looks I think.

What are things to watch out for on them wrx's?

The list aint limited to that so if yall got any other good sugestions that I aint mentioned shoot!

RX8 with the 6speed

WRX had a decent backseat.

In terms of the BMW ... yes it isn't that fast, and yest it has a nice interior... but the maintenance on that thing? The complexity of BMWs nowadays is mind boggling. So much more complicated than say.... a WRX. Not to mention most people I know who keep modern BMW's after the warranty period always seem to regret it. If you do buy a BMW, make sure you get the extended warranty...
makes).

CJM
07-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Buy something nice for 5k and save the rest of your cash.. Loans suck.

e463x
07-02-2010, 06:58 PM
wrx have weak trans when you start putting power to them.

S.A.J
07-02-2010, 09:16 PM
WRX seems to be taking the cake here in everybodys opinion!

Hondamaster5505
07-02-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by CJM
That isnt a good thing if someone sues you. Specially if your insured under your parents-what the insurance wont pay they have to since its all tied together. If they got homeowners ins it will probably save you tho.

Just be aware of this when you get into an accident if you got the bare minimum coverage they pay the minimum out and if thats not good enough for the other party or whomever your SOL.

Not say it wont happen, but it can.

Not insured under my parents, I have my own policy. And I wish I could get more coverage, but plain and simple I just can't afford it... and I want to drive my car. So State minimum will have to do until I can afford better coverage.

Canadian144
07-03-2010, 12:06 AM
WRX seems to be taking the cake here in everybodys opinion!

No surprise! It's the best!

Check out NASIOC.com Do some reading... check out some modifications people are doing... look at member's cars.... and check the cars for sale thread.

Stay away from heavily modded WRX's.... you don't want to inherit someone else's problems.

CJM
07-03-2010, 09:41 AM
Not insured under my parents, I have my own policy. And I wish I could get more coverage, but plain and simple I just can't afford it... and I want to drive my car. So State minimum will have to do until I can afford better coverage.

Be careful then, 1 accident and a sue happy idiot will ruin your day.

Hondamaster5505
07-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Be careful then, 1 accident and a sue happy idiot will ruin your day.

I know how it all goes.. I actually am a pretty responsible driver believe it or not. (Considering im a 16 year old with a firebird)

Unlike most of the kids in town I can keep my foot off the gas.

CJM
07-03-2010, 10:12 PM
I know how it all goes.. I actually am a pretty responsible driver believe it or not. (Considering im a 16 year old with a firebird)

Unlike most of the kids in town I can keep my foot off the gas.

Glad to hear man. Im not trying to preach or anything but having been there and done it before I know what can happen and Ive seen it happen to others.

Happy driving, keep the racing (if any) on the track :)

krt400ex
07-04-2010, 02:58 PM
Absolutely no!!! Those are slow as ****, sound like ****, are ****. They arent even a wankle rotary.

lol they sound nice IMO, and they arent fast, but arent slow. but the problem is that they get like 13 mpg in town and like 17 on the highway. the rotary engine murders fuel

Canadian144
07-04-2010, 03:05 PM
I've heard that when needing to work on the engine, all the parts are much more expensive.

The RX8 R3 supposedly handles great.... but again it is definitely the slowest of the current crop of RWD Japanese sports cars. Compared to the 350Z, the new 370Z, and the dead S2000... the RX8 didn't really impress too many people as a "sports" car. Heck even compared to the older G35 coupe it uesd more gas and didn't match the performance.

S.A.J
07-04-2010, 04:27 PM
Well I was considering the cobalt ss too now but after looking at reviews of it,a wrx,and a gto I think a gto has the took the lead for me atleast.

Cobalt ss=is fwd,do not like plus its looks cheap and its common.

Wrx=I just cannot get used to them looks and most cars you can mod to look real nice if they dont from the factory but I just havnt seen any wrx that I go like wow that looks nice,guess to each theyre own.I do like the drivetrain though,but the interior also lacks,note Im talking like 02-

03.GTO=Looks great imo except them wheels look hideous imo,with a nice set of wheels they look real nice to me and I LOVE the blue they come in and the interior looks awesome also and the gauge cluster almost reminds me of an exotic car.6speed is a major plus and the ls2 engine is awesome!Also and the fact that my parents seem to like it quite abit is a really good point too.

So lets say Im geting a GTO,what do yall know about em? Like ls1 vs ls2,04-05+ pros and cons,cheaper mods available,etc,etc???

07-04-2010, 04:43 PM
Damn thats insane I have seen WRX that make the ladies drop their pants and gearheads pull a SNL skit lol To say a GTO looks better literally blows my mind, I might have an overload right now.

S.A.J
07-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Like I said to each theyre own. Everyones eyes are programmed differently and mine just simply like the looks of a GTO better than a WRX. I must admit though the NEWER WRX's dooo look MUCH nicer than the older ones and if I could afford the newer ones I might think differently about my choice.

07-04-2010, 05:28 PM
But the newer GTO just look like a regular bubble Grand Pricks with hood scoops.

S.A.J
07-04-2010, 06:08 PM
That is your opinion and your entitled to it and I/we know it now.

Hondamaster5505
07-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Damn thats insane I have seen WRX that make the ladies drop their pants and gearheads pull a SNL skit lol To say a GTO looks better literally blows my mind, I might have an overload right now.

To each their own dude. I happen to agree with him.

The WRX's with the "bug eye" headlights are gross looking. Like a mutant alien. They didn't get good looking till after that.

The GTO, I hated the looks at first, but now that I have looked at them a couple times, I like them. They have a nice, laid back look to them and with nice rims, have some aggression.

Canadian144
07-05-2010, 10:25 AM
To each their own dude. I happen to agree with him.

The WRX's with the "bug eye" headlights are gross looking. Like a mutant alien. They didn't get good looking till after that.

The GTO, I hated the looks at first, but now that I have looked at them a couple times, I like them. They have a nice, laid back look to them and with nice rims, have some aggression.

Haha I seem to have had the opposite experience of the one you had!

I used to like the GTO - now I think it looks way to "plain Jane" and boring, even ugly.

I used to HATE the bugeye WRX's.... until I became a Subie enthusiast, and started seeing some local members of the Toronto Subaru Club's bugeyes, as well as some on NASIOC. Stock they don't really look that great, I agree with you on that. Modded is another story. Here are a few nice ones from NASIOC and the Toronto forum:

Toronto:
(this thing has a TON of engine/drivetrain work done, it's basically a JDM STI in a NAM WRX body)
http://i50.tinypic.com/314qbdi.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/ir8d95.jpg
http://i50.tinypic.com/24qpets.jpg

NASIOC:
http://img229.imageshack.us/img229/3446/edit0053.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2566/3716103457_8df7f7d549_o.jpg
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn54/topshark04/The%20Whip/DSCF1187.jpg
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2750/4405521877_377972c3da_b.jpg

More from NASIOC here:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1991630http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4057/4415738495_19363616ae_b.jpg

S.A.J
07-05-2010, 05:01 PM
Thoes are very nice bug eye wrx's,theyre very nicely done up in almost every way but still I just cant seem to like the way they look. I dont think theyre ugllyyyy its just that i dont think they look all that great either 1/10 MY eyes would give the looks of even the modded ones a 4 or highhhh 5,but thoes are MY eyes! Gto would get a strong 7 or maybe an 8.

Heres somthing more to discuss. Geting a loan does not tickle me very much and I've been thinking more and more and considering dif. things n ideas.
What if I got something with just cash,MY money not loaned money.I couldnt get somthing as nice as a GTO but Id have $5k-$6k to spend here maybe within a month give or take abit. Then i wouldnt have no stupid payments and then in the future when I get married maybe and settle down and start making a nice living thennn consider an upgrade or weekend toy.

I know $6k can get me a decent truck with maybe some wheels and a system and then I got an average but still decent ride.
What would 5k-6k get me car wise though or is there not much good stuff to consider for that?

Oh and I might still get a loan but I just wana think of all my options bfore I do somthing I'll regret.

Hondamaster5505
07-05-2010, 05:52 PM
Thoes are very nice bug eye wrx's,theyre very nicely done up in almost every way but still I just cant seem to like the way they look. I dont think theyre ugllyyyy its just that i dont think they look all that great either 1/10 MY eyes would give the looks of even the modded ones a 4 or highhhh 5,but thoes are MY eyes! Gto would get a strong 7 or maybe an 8.

Heres somthing more to discuss. Geting a loan does not tickle me very much and I've been thinking more and more and considering dif. things n ideas.
What if I got something with just cash,MY money not loaned money.I couldnt get somthing as nice as a GTO but Id have $5k-$6k to spend here maybe within a month give or take abit. Then i wouldnt have no stupid payments and then in the future when I get married maybe and settle down and start making a nice living thennn consider an upgrade or weekend toy.

I know $6k can get me a decent truck with maybe some wheels and a system and then I got an average but still decent ride.
What would 5k-6k get me car wise though or is there not much good stuff to consider for that?

Oh and I might still get a loan but I just wana think of all my options bfore I do somthing I'll regret.

One set of letters.. LT1.

You can pick up a REALLY clean 97' LT1 Firebird/Trans Am/Camaro for 6k or less. They're only a LITTLE slower then the LS1's, you can still get the 6-speed, and the LT1 motor has gobs of bottom end torque. Once again, excellent gas mileage.

A lot of people look down on LT1's for some reason and automatically assume the LS1's are worlds better, but the LT1 has a lot of potential and is a very broad torquey motor.

I love mine, and they're very affordable.

97blaster200
07-05-2010, 06:15 PM
One set of letters.. LT1.

You can pick up a REALLY clean 97' LT1 Firebird/Trans Am/Camaro for 6k or less. They're only a LITTLE slower then the LS1's, you can still get the 6-speed, and the LT1 motor has gobs of bottom end torque. Once again, excellent gas mileage.

A lot of people look down on LT1's for some reason and automatically assume the LS1's are worlds better, but the LT1 has a lot of potential and is a very broad torquey motor.

I love mine, and they're very affordable.

people look down on the LT1 because now adays, its getting outdated. hell the LS1 is kind of outdated now too. also, i think people shy away from the LT1 because of that dam*n OPTI!!!! lol

CJM
07-05-2010, 06:50 PM
yea opti spark sucks..

07-05-2010, 07:15 PM
just buy a cooler car then the bulky ugly "LT1 Firebird/Trans Am/Camaro". Seriously just get a 240 with a LS1 if you like V8's. Theres way more mods and the cars look better and perform better. **** I would take a foxbody stang over those huge *** boats. What are you looking to do with a car?

S.A.J
07-05-2010, 08:45 PM
Yeah I seen some nice f-bodys for under 6k too but just wondering what else is out there that I could consider.

Ive seen some pretty nice 240's too but one with an ls1 the cheapest I seen was I think $8k or so and idk if it was even finished.How are the 240's with the sr20det swaps cause I seen lotsa them on craigslist? Or how about the newer style with the stock KA motor,any good at all?

What I want with the car is to be able to comfortably go on a 7ish hr trip one way every now and then and if possible somthing that would look atleast somewhat logical if you took it to the track,in other words performance is a big want too.If Id get somthing cheaper Id prolly end up doing stuff to it slowly like wheels and a system if it didnt have any of that aftermarket stuff already,and if it needs more get up and go help it out in that area too as much as possible but not like go spend 1.5k-2.5k on performance.

Id love a foxbody stang too but I kinda ruined my parents reputaion on them by having 2 projects like that that I didnt finish and thy both were not in very good condition and they dont like cars that old in the first place BUTTTT if it MY money they can only say so and so much.

Pipeless416
07-05-2010, 08:56 PM
lets just be honest.. what are the chances of you actually taking the car on a real track? probably pretty slim. drag strips are a higher possibility. there is absolutely nothing wrong with how f-body's or anything of that nature handles on normal roads. just go with whichever one will pick up more women and call it a day. ps- my trans am (which got hit while parked this weekend :mad: ) is comfortable to me for about 5 hours.. then i wish i had a GTO.

S.A.J
07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
My bad I should have clarrified,with track I meant like the drag strip,my apologies. Lol I already gots me a girl,first girl I really ever had a crush on which was like 7 or 8 yrs ago so Im good in that department!

Sry bout your trans am man,must suck!

k4f5x0r
07-06-2010, 05:34 AM
If your planning on drag then don't go for a 240. 240's are lighter and have a world of opportunities to be set up for road course or drifting, but they aren't really a decent drag car.

As for the SR swap. Its the most common swap into the 240 because it comes out of other very similar cars(s13's, 200sx's) and fit's pretty similarly. Also the KA24 is a pretty weak motor, When it's boosted it makes decent HP and an amazing amount of torque, but if your drifting your up in the rev's all the time anyway so many prefer the SR.

Another common swap is the RB26 outta the skylines.

Hondamaster5505
07-06-2010, 08:04 AM
just buy a cooler car then the bulky ugly "LT1 Firebird/Trans Am/Camaro". Seriously just get a 240 with a LS1 if you like V8's. Theres way more mods and the cars look better and perform better. **** I would take a foxbody stang over those huge *** boats. What are you looking to do with a car?

You are so highly misinformed... First of all, they aren't that "bulky" It's only around 3200, 3300lbs. Sorry, not everything can be as light as your 2900lb civic.
And they actually have pretty crisp, stout handling.

Looks are PREFERENCE when it comes to cars, obviously you can't process that. Just because you think a car is ugly, doesn't mean it's the end all. I happen to like the way F-body's look and so do a lot of my friends.

Foxbody stang over it? I'm sorry, but 5.0's don't have nearly as much bottom end or as strong of a motor. They have to be rev'd up to make anything.. Plus they're uncomfortable road-noisy rattletraps.
They're fun cars.. but so impractical.

Oh and there are aftermarket replacements for optispark lol

CJM
07-06-2010, 10:04 AM
All of this talk about modifying and dragging and such-how many besides a few of you actually have done anything or have a fast car?

Nevermind, I figured out which one of you actually has a clue vs those who dont..

Hondamaster5505
07-06-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by CJM
All of this talk about modifying and dragging and such-how many besides a few of you actually have done anything or have a fast car?

Nevermind, I figured out which one of you actually has a clue vs those who dont..

I always feel that way, but so many people on this site talk about racing, weight, handling, like that matters SO much for daily driving..:rolleyes:

97blaster200 actually drag races, but I doubt anyone else on this site does.

S.A.J
07-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Ive been at the drag strip ONCE with my built 400ex I used to have,I know plenty about going though with cars.When I say Id like to take it to the strip I dont mean regular racing,more like 3 times a year just for kicks.

What do yall think about this

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1826908545.html

Ive heard that ls1's are not the best around after around 80k miles,is there any truth to this cause that was like the first time I ever heard somthing really bad about em?

Also yall think somthing like this is a good deal for a truck?

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1821314234.html

Just trying to get opinions together and stuff,this thread has helped already too. Thanks Yall

CJM
07-06-2010, 02:22 PM
The LS1 FB isnt worth it, it has 185k but 100k on the engine-uh oh why??? If there is a good legit reason then yea maybe, but remember the trans (never mentions if its been changed) has almost 200k. Id offer 2k less than what they want if you really want it, changing the engine and junk doesnt add value unless you restore it quite a bit more. Maybe if the engine had less than 50k on it at that.

Trucks ok, but why would you want a2wd truck? Considering all other factors its worth a G less than they want too. I found a 02 2500HD bodywise in poor shape but mechanically sound and the guy wanted 2200 and thats not outta line. So 4700 for that is a bit much.

Maybe the prices by you are different, but usually the tri-state area (NY/NJ/PA) is more $$$.

Also, for the heck of it I was looking at dallas CL, seems they got VERY few 4wd trucks?? Whats up witht hat-do you guys only drive on the road lol?

Pipeless416
07-06-2010, 02:23 PM
most people don't consider LS1's to be high mileage until 150k-200k. look around ls1tech if you have any questions.

CJM
07-06-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by Pipeless416
most people don't consider LS1's to be high mileage until 150k-200k. look around ls1tech if you have any questions.

Thats pretty crazy, by 100k ALOT of parts are already pretty worn out, let alone by 150k on any car.

S.A.J
07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah idk bout the ls1 I posted,just curious tho. When are lt1's considered to be high milage?

Also Im not sure if Im that picky on 4wd or 2wd but I just seen it there and thought Id post it up.If I were to get that kinda truck Id put nice wheels on it and prolly a dvd player,good system,cai,exhaust,maybe a programer,and prolly just drive it like that till itd break.Thats what I would plan to do with any truck if I were to get a truck.

97blaster200
07-06-2010, 06:00 PM
i drag race...but right now, i dont feel as my car is fast lol

Pipeless416
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Thats pretty crazy, by 100k ALOT of parts are already pretty worn out, let alone by 150k on any car.

im talking the engine. for an ls1 trans or rear end, i'd consider the first turn of the key high mileage :p

S.A.J
07-06-2010, 09:33 PM
Well I showed my mom n dad like 10 car or truck adds ranging from round $3k-$5k and they they really were not impressed and they said they wanted me to get a GTO which not as many pple have them and because it has all the options and everything I want on a car and of course cause its newer,so yeah they seem pretty set on me geting one of them or saving till I have enough money to pay for one without taking out a loan.

Guess we shall see what hapens,my b-day is about a month away so maybe I can least make somthing hapen before then or right around then.

Hondamaster5505
07-07-2010, 08:14 AM
Definitely get a goat. They're very very nice cars, and have a much tighter, sounder interior then the F-bodies. I kind of see them like a higher-end model of an F-bod.

And as far as high mileage on LT1's, it depends how you drive it. I've seen people go 190k plus on the original motor AND trans. They're considered "high mileage" at around 140k, but if taken care of will last decently longer then that.

I got lucky to get one with only 60,000 on the motor, haha.

Hondamaster5505
07-07-2010, 08:34 AM
oh.. my.. god. I just came.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/cto/1824739700.html

Hondamaster5505
07-07-2010, 08:43 AM
I love last gen RX7's
http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/cto/1828486353.html

S.A.J
07-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Yeah theyre nice! I cant believe I forgot this car

AUDI S4

Hondamaster5505
07-07-2010, 06:59 PM
Yeah theyre nice! I cant believe I forgot this car

AUDI S4

They're fast, nice looking, and 4-door for your friends. I love those cars. But every one I've seen was 15k and up!

S.A.J
07-07-2010, 09:30 PM
Not every one I found

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=269263811&dealer_id=64649833&car_year=2000&rdm=1278545115038&lastStartYear=1981&model=S4&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=AUDI&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=10&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&model2=S5&search_lang=en&sownerid=64265603&showZipError=y&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=COUPE&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=75486&advanced=y&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=15000&cardist=1510&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=281415766&dealer_id=65390663&car_year=2000&rdm=1278545115038&lastStartYear=1981&model=S4&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=AUDI&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=10&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&model2=S5&search_lang=en&sownerid=64265603&showZipError=y&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=COUPE&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=75486&advanced=y&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=15000&cardist=331&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=280687410&dealer_id=65349457&car_year=2000&rdm=1278545115038&lastStartYear=1981&model=S4&num_records=25&systime=&make3=&make2=AUDI&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=10&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&model2=S5&search_lang=en&sownerid=64265603&showZipError=y&make=AUDI&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=COUPE&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=75486&advanced=y&end_year=2011&doors=&transmission=Manual&max_price=15000&cardist=1170&standard=false

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=p&car_id=282062793&dealer_id=65427215&car_year=2001&rdm=1278545115038&lastStartYear=1981&num_records=25&model=S4&make3=&systime=&make2=AUDI&highlightFirstMakeModel=&start_year=1981&engine=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&certified=&body_code=10&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=0&marketZipError=false&model2=S5&search_lang=en&showZipError=y&sownerid=64265603&first_record=26&make=AUDI&color=&keywords_display=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=&body_style=COUPE&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&seller_type=b&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=75486&advanced=y&end_year=2011&pager.offset=25&transmission=Manual&doors=&max_price=15000&cardist=1122&standard=false;)

tbrackman84
07-08-2010, 10:02 PM
my buddy has an early 90's 240sx, it's an alright car but it really lacks power with the stock engine, 2.4 maybe something like that. I'm sure the newer gen WITHOUT GAY FLIP UP LIGHTS and a turbo would we sweet, it hold the road pretty good and seems like a well built car. His other car is a Honda CRX, with and intake and exhaust and all that stuff, i personally like that car MUCH better, could be becasue the nissan is slow, has alomst no luster left to it's paint, and the front end looks like $H!T lol

S.A.J
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Yeah I dont like the older 240's unless they have MAJOR body modifications done. Im starting to REALLLYYYY like the s4's,check out some youtube vids of stage 3 s4's they freaken fasttt and look like a regular a4 baisicly n nice comfy ride...Just wish I knew how long the motors are good for about if you keep up the maintnence.

S.A.J
07-09-2010, 10:48 PM
Going to Houston tomorrow to buy a 2000 Audi S4 Stage 2 excellent condition inside and out only thing wrong with it is couple pixels are goin out by the gauge cluster which is very common for them and it needs a $170 ac fan. Has 161,000 miles but is maintained good and has had all the service stuff done like timing belt,water pump,brakes etc etc within about 20,000miles and replaced turbos at round 90,000 miles.Ive been doing a fair amount of research on them and theyre seem to be MANY of them out there with around 200k miles with happy owners even saw one with lil over 400,000 aparently! So if I keep up the maintnence I aint worried.

Thanks EVERYONE for yalls help!

GOD BLESS ALL OF YALL!!!!!