PDA

View Full Version : New exhaust/slip on

CJM
07-01-2010, 06:04 PM
Trying to figure out a solution to my exhaust issue. Basically my lexx wont get close enough to the end of the stock header pipe and it always leaks. Smashed the poo outta the bracket and its a bit better but IDK...probably leak again

So I decided the solution might be to do a whole different setup. What I need is slip on that uses something similar the stock band style clamp and has splines on it.

Anyone know a good pipe that has it, might I just go with the FMF header pipe to solve my issues?

Im getting to the point of taking the stock header to my friends exhaust shop and expanding the end so I can just use a clamp.

JOHNDOE83
07-02-2010, 02:59 PM
try turning your air/fuel screw out another turn and see if it helps that poping?...I doubt its the exhaust.

CJM
07-02-2010, 04:15 PM
When you say out you mean tighten or loosen. Im assuming loosen, but just to be sure,ya know.

I called the dealer about it. The service manager explained it to me like this: the kind of exhaust I have has way to little back pressure and thus just like a street bike with straight pipes its gonna pop. my neighbor has a honda streetbike with pipes and it does the same exact thing-but of course it sounds way cooler :)

I made sure its no leaking, and I put a muffler clamp for a car on it tight as hell-so no way its leaking now since im basically crushing the pipe.

Im gonna play with the A/F screw maybe later, but Im inclined to just leave it alone b/c I rode it around and it didnt get anywhere near as hot as it did the other day when i was way to lean.

and thus is part of the reason I hate carbs..

JOHNDOE83
07-02-2010, 04:26 PM
4 strokes dont work with back pressure like your thinking, most all drag bikes run with open pipes no exhaust, they pop because they want them lean, same with sport bikes, try turning it out 1 whole turn and see if it helps?

Back pressure in a four stroke is for quieting it down.

CJM
07-02-2010, 04:36 PM
Ill give it a shot when I get a chance, and report back.

Thanks for the help.

CJM
07-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I turned it out another 2-3 turns and still it pops. Im inclined to just leave it be at this point since its very slight-before they tuned it this time it would pop like crazy, now its just slightly popping and you can barely hear it over the roar of the bike.

Before I did the 416 kit the same dealer had tuned it and it was fine. So i am not sure what the deal is

CJM
07-02-2010, 10:02 PM
So further playing with the screw doesnt really seem to do much, I had it turned out quite a bit.

IDK anymore.

eotrx400ex
07-03-2010, 10:16 AM
is it popping when you decelerate? you mentioned it had a leak? cause a leak can cause popping on deceleration with any exhaust

JOHNDOE83
07-03-2010, 10:36 AM
if you have a 416 with the stock pilot jet...it will pop no matter what you do.

all slip ons leak...they just slip on....mine doesnt pop?

pull your pilot jet and see if its the stock one.

if it is bigger, you may be confusing poping with the decel of the engine? like when i run open headers, it revs loud as hell, then off the throttle its louder while decellerating...but its not poping.

CJM
07-03-2010, 09:32 PM
I really dont want to mess wit the carb, despite being able to rebuild an engine Im just no good with them.

Im not sure exactly, perhaps the popping isnt really much to worry about.

Its like this: If I take off and get to like 2nd or 3rd or even 4th and am going pretty fast and downshift it makes a putt putt putt noise, its not loud like something backfiring really. It seems to only happen if I downshift or let off the gas at a high rate of speed. not when I rev it, not when I ride normally. Its not overly loud either, kinda barely hear it over the engine. It is definitely coming out of the slip on exhaust im sure of that.

Maybe im just paranoid IDK. About all Im worried about is it running to hot on me and frying the rings.

eotrx400ex
07-03-2010, 11:31 PM
i dont think you should worrie if your running to lean then

CJM
07-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Small update: took the quad to a buddy of a buddy, damn stupid honda dealer only upped me to a 140??? He put a 160 in and 3 turns out and says it runs GREAT. Able to pull wheelies in every gear!

JOHNDOE83
07-10-2010, 10:11 PM
Damn a 140??? thats smaller then stock jetting???? stock is 148?

Bigger jetting always works better...lol...people always overlook that stuff.

Thats great that its all cleared up now.

CJM
07-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Yea I dont quite get it, Im curious to see wtf the dealer did..sadly I paid them to do it but doubt going there and making a case of it would help.

Perhaps my buddy was a bit off and meant 150..but still man thats a sad the dealer basically doesnt have a clue. He also mentioned the A/F screw was maxed out to 5 turns too.

Its 160 jet and whatever main (I forget now) and only 3 turns out. Says it still pops slightly, but he was curious so he called several friends and scoped around the net too and he and everyone he talked to agree-its unburnt fuel either from the cam or whatever-he isnt sure but says it runs great, isnt hot and sure is nice now. I mean im sure it needs the 160, I also had him remove the airbox lid and Im waiting for the outerwears to come. If anything it could also be due to the fact the air humidty is insane and possibly affecting the carb, its been like 100% humidty ffor weeks now.

So as it stands:
416, stage 2 hot cam, slip on and no airbox lid, ground header welds and some 20's and it has balls to the walls-he was amazed and said it probably will easily keep up with his bigbore z400.

f4iracer
07-11-2010, 06:06 AM
Originally posted by CJM
Yea I dont quite get it, Im curious to see wtf the dealer did..sadly I paid them to do it but doubt going there and making a case of it would help.

Perhaps my buddy was a bit off and meant 150..but still man thats a sad the dealer basically doesnt have a clue. He also mentioned the A/F screw was maxed out to 5 turns too.

Its 160 jet and whatever main (I forget now) and only 3 turns out. Says it still pops slightly, but he was curious so he called several friends and scoped around the net too and he and everyone he talked to agree-its unburnt fuel either from the cam or whatever-he isnt sure but says it runs great, isnt hot and sure is nice now. I mean im sure it needs the 160, I also had him remove the airbox lid and Im waiting for the outerwears to come. If anything it could also be due to the fact the air humidty is insane and possibly affecting the carb, its been like 100% humidty ffor weeks now.

So as it stands:
416, stage 2 hot cam, slip on and no airbox lid, ground header welds and some 20's and it has balls to the walls-he was amazed and said it probably will easily keep up with his bigbore z400.

this thread has confused the hell out of me, and no offense but if you can't tune a carb, i highly doubt you can rebuild an engine. sorry but 4 stroke carbs are easy. i mean if you can set valves, reshim valves, replace pistons, rings, heads, cranks, bearings.......i'm pretty sure you should be able to tune a carb.

carbs are rather simple, especially if you already have a good idea on the jet sizes.

You must have had a 150 main jet with a stock 38 pilot jet.

That's crazy lean for you setup. I have a stock bore with a lexx slip on and i'm running a 152 main with a 40 pilot and the 3rd clip position on the needle.

Speaking of the needle, i haven't heard you say anything about it and i'll bet 5 to 1 that you need to adjust your needle clip setting.

CJM
07-11-2010, 09:04 AM
No, I sadly cannot tune carbs. Be it on a car, bike or whatever I just plain suck at it. Too many itty bitty parts, to much guess work, etc.

Im a car mechanic by trade-does that explain it?