PDA

View Full Version : Shocks

Honda4LifeWes36
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Hi, I;m mainly just wondering how to adjust my shocks to work the best for me. I ride at some tracks and when I get pretty good air, I find myself nailing the ground (shocks absorb all the way in) and killing my wrists. I know there is some way to adjust them, just not sure how. BTW, they are still stock shocks (maybe thats my problem)

Thank you

CJM
07-01-2010, 01:41 PM
The stockers arent really adjustable. What you need is some honda 450R shocks, totally adjustable and very nice right out of the box.

Honda4LifeWes36
07-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Surely I can pick some 450 shocks up off ebay right?

JOHNDOE83
07-01-2010, 02:29 PM
Ya ebays a good place to get shocks....

You can adjust the fronts and the rears with the stock shocks.

The fronts all you need is a pair of channel lock pliers, on the bottom of the shock is where you adjust it, all you gota do is grab it with the pliers and turn it.

For the back you need a long flat head screw driver and a hammer, if you look on the rear shock on the top, youll see the threaded part with the odd looking lock nuts, tap em with the driver and hammer till you get em stiff or soft how ever you need it. There is also an adjustment screw on the bottom of the shock to set rebound.

tri5ron
07-01-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Honda4LifeWes36
Surely I can pick some 450 shocks up off ebay right? Yes,
but they ARE still a bit stiff for the average weight rider.

That being said,...
They are one of the most popular choices for front shock upgrades on a 400ex.
They are a HUGE improvement over the stock "Pogosticks".

Changing the stock 450r springs to a set of Progressive, or Dual Rate, or Triple Rate springs, that are set up for your riding weight, makes them a absolutely fantastic choice for the 400ex.

If you so choose, you can also have them revalved to be even better yet.

I have a set of 450r shocks with a set of Works Triple Rate springs, and have not had them revalved.

I have the spring preload tension set very light, the compression setting at almost full soft, and the rebound setting set at about mid way.

It works VERY well for me as a fairly fast trail rider, at a rider weight of about 185lbs., in some pretty hairy whoops, large rock covered trails, and general open desert type riding.

They have sucked up some pretty hard hits, and kept me on top of the machine, where otherwise, with stock 400ex shocks, I would have surely been doing a handstand on the handlebars.

Adding a good steering stabilizer the the equation, really maximizes the usefulness and improved handeling characteristics of the shock upgrade.

The bottom line is,
if you can do it, don't think twice about it.
You will be plesantly surprised, and you will be asking yourself "Why didn't I do this alot sooner".

Honda4LifeWes36
07-02-2010, 11:26 AM
thanks for the help guys. ya im definitely gonna try to find myself a pair of 450 shocks. "pogosticks" haha i like that

07-02-2010, 12:07 PM
I dont get why everyone thought 450R shocks were stiff. I had 05 shocks on my 400ex and imediately put them on full soft rebound, compression, and preload after reading peoples reviews on here. Took it for a ride wow these things ride like a dream and are way too soft because I was able to bottom them out with easy on whoops. Adjustment after adjustment I ended up with like 3 threads down from the top preload wise, rebound I cant remember the amount of turns but just past half of all the adjustment I believe and compression almost at full hard and thats where it was smoothest and most comfortable to where I wasnt bottoming out over bumps and such. It led me to believe half the people on this site putt around and ride like sissy's lol