PDA

View Full Version : Looking at rear Maier Plastic. Question..

dripinc09
06-29-2010, 09:09 PM
Alright so I have a 99 400ex, the guy I bought it from replaced the front plastic with the Maier Black plastics.

The rear plastic looks pretty beat up and scraped and almost discolored. If it has the safty badge on one side would that mean it is the stock plastic?

My question is this, Im thinking about getting the Black Carbon Fiber look Maier rear.

That is just the look of carbon fiber correct? Not actually carbon fiber thats going to break when (yes when) I flip or hit the fender on a tree?

Like so:
http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/honda-trx400ex-sportrax-rear-fender

bkelley
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
If it were actually made of carbon fiber it would be ten times the price and also ten times stronger than plastic. What makes you think carbon fiber is brittle?

jcs003
06-30-2010, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by bkelley
If it were actually made of carbon fiber it would be ten times the price and also ten times stronger than plastic. What makes you think carbon fiber is brittle?

X2...carbon fiber is super strong. but if your going to replace the rear it is better to replace them both. it is better if they wear evenly or it will be odd looking when you get a shiny new front in a year or so. my opinion.

dripinc09
06-30-2010, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
X2...carbon fiber is super strong. but if your going to replace the rear it is better to replace them both. it is better if they wear evenly or it will be odd looking when you get a shiny new front in a year or so. my opinion.

I guess it was a stupid question but whatever haha.

The front plastic is new, just the rear is the origional and faded and scratched to hell.

x3 for carbon fiber being strong. I have been around it enough to know that. Just wanted to make sure it wasn't actually fiber.

4reeds
07-01-2010, 09:07 PM
carbon fiber is very strong and light.But one chip or ding and you run the risk of it cracking into hundreds of pieces.But yes its just the look.