PDA

View Full Version : Tie rod question

mydirtkids
06-29-2010, 08:24 PM
I am trying to finish a practice bike. Really really need tie rod ends for a DRR setup. Have the tie rods with female ends (factory). I used the rod ends for the JB stuff on the other bike. Looks like the spindles are slightly larger hole than what is on a 400EX. Anyone know if anything will cross over?

I do have some extra 400EX spindles, but they are a little shorter distance from the upper and lower a-arm attachments. I am thinking that will throw off the camber (not adjustable on factory 44" arms). I suppose I could try, but figure someone on here has tried. I can find use Honda tierods a dime a dozen compared to the rediculous price for the new DRR stuff.

Any help and me ruv u rong time:devil:

jerkyboy
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
The 400ex setup might work with stock shocks but will bind up
and not let the shock fully extend with a long travle shock. Also the ball joints don't fit correctly in the steering knuckle.

mydirtkids
06-29-2010, 08:38 PM
We are planning on keeping this bike a standard travel (save some $$$). I did notice the shank on the end of the drr tie rod ends looks like a larger diameter than the 400ex.

Do you know if a 250ex or 300ex Tie rod end will work on the DRR spindle? Don't know anything about those bikes but heard it is possilbly the same diameter shank. Just not thrilled to spend $150 on new tie rods...

quadscrib
06-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Ive used stock 04/05 YFZ450 tie rods and have to cut approx 1/4" off the standard threaded end (cause I only have standard (not reverse) thread taps). Ive used many.

04-05 years ONLY 06 and newer will not work.

mydirtkids
06-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Soooo sweeet!!! I plucked one off my friends Banshee..:D :D :D They are IDENTICAL to what came off the 2010 DRR 90! Even better,,,, instead of $150 bucks after shipping... hold on..wait4it....

$50 BUCKS all DAY LONG online for all FOUR!!:macho Guess me ruv myself rong time now:devil: Will update when they get here, but that kind of stuff just makes my day!

Kinda like the lugnuts on my old Acura... $6 each, would not cross-reference to the CRX, which were $0.75 each... SAME THING Makes you sick don't it...

quadscrib
07-01-2010, 05:39 AM
After reading your last post I now realize that you said Tie Rod "end" not tie rod. Yes those Yamaha tie rod "ends" are 100% IDENTICAL. Was a great find for me too!!
Ive also used the tie rods as well, just have to be shortened.