PDA

View Full Version : Most popular Tether Kill Switch - Best One?

beags86
06-29-2010, 08:12 PM
Going to pull the trigger on saturday on a kill switch for the 05. just wanted everyone to post what they are running.

What one is the best?

406Z26
06-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I run a Pro Design and have no problems with it. The price was right also.

tri5ron
06-29-2010, 11:41 PM
I just recently went through a comparison / trial & error process on this.
My purpose being to decide which brand and model to use on my son's quad, as a way for me to shut his bike down while teaching him to ride.

After trying a couple of the cheap ebay no namers, and them basically being a complete POS, I eventually broke down and bought one of the Pro Armor Pro Series.

It was a little pricey, ($40)
but the quality of the design, the solid mounting, and the positive action sold me on it.

I'm very satisfied with it, and would highly recommend it.

Now the irony is,
after only 2 times out with it, I feel he no longer needs to be watched quite so closely, and I can confidently let him ride around camp without having someone closely following him.

I have now removed the 25' rope I had attached to it, for him to tow/drag behind, so that my wife or I could just rush up and run over the rope with our quads, to shut him down.

Oh Well,... I guess I now have a real nice kill switch to put on either mine or my wifes quad, LOL!!!

Hope this helps

jcs003
06-30-2010, 02:05 AM
pro armour is what i have always used.

ChoCo94
06-30-2010, 04:38 AM
i have a pro design and it was so easy to install and i did this after only having my first quad 2 weeks

honda400ex2003
06-30-2010, 02:10 PM
pro design or pro armor get my vote... they are probably the same switch with a bit different body on it lol. steve

clemsonteg
06-30-2010, 02:13 PM
I have pro armor cause its the first one I came across on RMATV. Works well, probably took 15 minutes or so to completely install it and ride around.

Honda#4
06-30-2010, 02:39 PM
I like my Pro Armor and KX Style.

beags86
06-30-2010, 07:22 PM
well i pretty much had my mind on a pro armor, but i am still open, anyone else???

honda400ex2003
06-30-2010, 07:56 PM
I personally would get a button style one over a clip any day. i like to be able to plug it in and off quick and they are easier to pull off than the clip style. they are less likely to break from this since the ends are rubber. I found a normally open one that was made by actic cat when i was looking. it was small enough to hide under my stock handlebar cover too so that was nice. it was out of the way when i didnt want it since i could wrap the cord around the front of the bars onto the key when i didnt use it. just my .02 though. steve

beags86
06-30-2010, 08:26 PM
ok, time to man up and sound like an idiot, i don't know what you mean by an open switch, or even a clip/button style.

i have never had/bought/used a tether kill switch on a atv in my 24yr of riding atvs! rode some atvs that had them on, but never used it. nor were they my atvs.

so this is new to me. i read some back posts and have looked at a bunch of pics but i still don't really understand. explain it to me steve.

beags86
07-02-2010, 07:54 PM
anyone care to help me?

honda400ex2003
07-02-2010, 08:24 PM
whoops, my apologizes. i did not get an update to the thread. A normally open switch is one that is normally not in contact with a closed circuit. A normally closed switch is the opposite. A normally open switch, when pulled or "switched" becomes closed and completes the circuit to whatever it goes to. a normally closed does the opposite. on a simple light switch on a set of lights that can be plugged into something can be a good example. if it is wired directly into the circuit it is normally closed. this is because to get the electricity to "flow" through it and light the bulbs it has to be closed. if open the lights are off. now the opposite again with the normally open. i will give an example of this too. this switch is grounded seperate from the rest of the system. it grounds the circuit in the closed position to complete the circuit and redirect the flow to the ground and away from the rest. if you have your atv system, it is a series of normally closed switches that work to break the flow in the system to kill the power. The killswitches on these can be hooked up either way depending on the switch. the normally open is easiest on these since it can be grounded instead of splicing it in. I hope i didnt confuse you. heres some install instructions on a normally open switch.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=411015

steve

beags86
07-02-2010, 09:10 PM
yep understand all of that, didn't know thats what it meant, now about the clip- button style??

honda400ex2003
07-02-2010, 09:18 PM
the clip style is like the pro design one and the pro armor one. the plug one is a rubber end that goes over the rest like on snowmobiles. something like the D.E.S.S. on the skidoos. Ill show you a pic of it.

http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/K01-113.html

this is actually the exact one i used when i had mine. it is small enough to fit under the cap and is easier to pull imo. steve

beags86
07-02-2010, 09:25 PM
ok i got ya on that, thanks for the pic. i have one like that on my sled. never cared for it and its zip tied to my handle bars now. used it a few times when i first got my snowmoblie and i pulled it out to easily. now i finally think i can pull the trigger on one, thanks for the help. still think i am going pro armor, but at this point it seams like it comes down to which one looks better, lol

honda400ex2003
07-02-2010, 09:35 PM
no prob glad to help you out. either one you get will be nice, they are quality switches. steve

440ex. ehhh!!
07-03-2010, 09:03 PM
Pro Armor all the way. installed it about a month ago for flat track racing and have had zero problems with it. my buddy who rides a yfz 450r also has the pro armor and convinced me to buy it. he raced 3 years pro and said hes seen way too many guys not being able to start their quad because water had gotten into the push button kill switches and not once has a clip style like the Pro Armor gone bad or anything.
it also looks pretty cool mounted in the middle of the handlebars. ;p took me all of 15 mins to install.
http://www.quadpro.ca/prod_images/kilswitch%20pro%20armor.jpg

Josh.

beags86
07-03-2010, 09:09 PM
well take a pic or 2 and show me what it looks like mounted.

slightlybent47
07-03-2010, 09:15 PM
I agree with steve, i like this stile better.
I have seen the clip stile switch not come lose when a rider gets thrown off and not work like it should. If you come off at the wrong angle it won’t unplug like it should, where as the button stile will come off no mater how you come off.

http://i50.tinypic.com/rbw1ns.jpg

honda400ex2003
07-03-2010, 09:26 PM
not to cause any trouble but i had my push button one for the 4 yrs i had mine installed. I powerwashed it many times with no trouble. steve

slightlybent47
07-03-2010, 09:32 PM
Yep mine has been on for 3 years and it still works great.

beags86
07-03-2010, 09:59 PM
well i still have some time, i didn't get down to the dealer today like i had hoped, had to take my dog to get fixed and she didn't do real well afterwards so i have been sitting here killing time all day. makeing sure shes good to go. i tried to put some wrench time in but she just wined when i left..anyway. i might get my next rounds of mods off the web anyway..

still not 100% sure i'll get the clip style. i know the button ones work REAL good. lol

jcs003
07-04-2010, 05:32 AM
Originally posted by beags86
well i still have some time, i didn't get down to the dealer today like i had hoped, had to take my dog to get fixed and she didn't do real well afterwards so i have been sitting here killing time all day. makeing sure shes good to go. i tried to put some wrench time in but she just wined when i left..anyway. i might get my next rounds of mods off the web anyway..

still not 100% sure i'll get the clip style. i know the button ones work REAL good. lol

i get my parts off the internet now-a-days. i find them much cheaper as the dealer used to get us the deals on aftermarket. the dealer no longer has "deals"

honda400ex2003
07-04-2010, 08:55 AM
x2 it is tough to deal with dealers lol. I try to stay local with everything but with no discounts, unordered parts after you tell them to get them, and the wrong parts it is tough to deal with them, i can see diagrams and pick the right parts i need and order them. I dont have to go anywhere either which is a plus. steve

beags86
07-04-2010, 02:27 PM
well you can save money at the dealer, compared to internet orders, sometimes.

case in point.

i just ordered a few parts

stock 250x clutch cable for my 05.
service honda - $16.46
local dealer - $21

internet savings - $5

headlight bracket for 05
service honda - $5.01
local dealer - $1.77

dealer savings - $3.24

headlight bracket for 05
service honda - $1.48
local dealer - $1.59

internet savings - $.11

shipping for service honda was $12
picking up parts from honda, free. drive right by honda on the way home from work everyday.

total cost from service honda was $34.95
total cost from local dealer $26.32

now i agree with you guys as well, there are good deals on the net. Depends on what you are buying.

i was buying stock honda part and well the parts were high and low with savings each way, depending on part. it was worth the shipping for me to buy on line. i know it was only $8.63 but if i can save 8.63 everytime i buy something, because i did my research. then its worth it to me.

now i understand aftermarket parts are different. but i have ordered aftermarket stuff from the dealer on customer appreciation day and saved 30% and no shipping. and spent over 100 bucks and got a free honda hat. can't beat that

just depends on the part and deals you can find. i use my head and research everything to find the best deal.