PDA

View Full Version : Future of MX

JParisi48
06-29-2010, 07:55 PM
what do you guys think it will be like 50 years from now? and the world isnt gunna end in 2012 so dont post something stupid like that....

ltr450rider21
06-29-2010, 08:23 PM
the world is going to end in 2010 anyway so who cares...

hahaha I had to, idk, 50 years is a longggg shot.

250x_kyle
06-29-2010, 08:45 PM
50 years from now. if atvs are not banned within the next 50 year. In 50 years i think that natural resources such as oil and gas will be gone; therefore, if there is any motocross related racing it will be on electric powered machines.

on the other hand i think there will be to many inventions that help us save time that we americans will be to lazy to roll off the couch let alone get up and do physical activity.

quader400
06-29-2010, 09:08 PM
would have to agree with electrical, and would guess by then they might make as much power as we do now, but i cant imagine much else being different other than being more recognized.

jesseweaver
06-29-2010, 09:13 PM
i hate thinking about it. i'm perfectly content with how far technology has come

feuerstack411
06-29-2010, 09:50 PM
Def going to be either electric bikes, or maybe hydrogen powered if that catches on.

BlaineKaiser450
06-29-2010, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i hate thinking about it. i'm perfectly content with how far technology has come Yeah me too. I'm sure that in 50 years quads and motocross in all forms will be a thing of the past because of how "dangerous and non-environmentally friendly" it is

rbgnwa45
06-29-2010, 11:47 PM
Suspension with computers that calculate on the fly so you never bottom out and still get the lushest feel. No adjustments needed and has weight sensors for different riders, hop on and go.

Engine sensors that turn it off before explosion, like some current snowmobile engines.

Lifetime warrantied spark plugs that never screw up.

Centered frames

3-stroke (fire, fire, miss)

5-stroke (fire, miss, miss)

Dual cylinders

Auto & manual on the fly engine mapping for either power or efficiency at all times.

1990 vs. 2010, we should see an exponential growth, meaning we'll make as many changes between 1990-2010 as we will from 2010-2020.

ATVMX33
06-30-2010, 06:58 AM
Originally posted by jesseweaver
i hate thinking about it. i'm perfectly content with how far technology has come

x2

destey
06-30-2010, 07:51 AM
-direct injection 2 stroke
-ATVs will get the fit and finish of motorcycles

toby400ex
06-30-2010, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
50 years from now. if atvs are not banned within the next 50 year. In 50 years i think that natural resources such as oil and gas will be gone; therefore, if there is any motocross related racing it will be on electric powered machines.

on the other hand i think there will be to many inventions that help us save time that we americans will be to lazy to roll off the couch let alone get up and do physical activity. We will not run out of fossil fuels in the next 50 years.........

aDviSol2y
06-30-2010, 08:02 AM
Wheels and tires will be a thing of the past. It will be like Star Wars, pod racing. :)

smr
06-30-2010, 11:28 AM
I think riding gear will have air bags....when we are about to impact the will explode and we land in a big bubble....:D

slightlybent47
06-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Id be happy when the come out with electric push button shifter for atv’s like they have on the supper bikes. Now that would be nice!
And a one lever breaking system that will work both front and rear breaks with one petal. And have an adjustment so that you can dial in how much front to rear ratio you want.

Actually these technologies already exist but are too expensive to put on an atv.

slightlybent47
06-30-2010, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by smr
I think riding gear will have air bags....when we are about to impact the will explode and we land in a big bubble....:D

they already do!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo9Vlt5tGwY

rbgnwa45
06-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Automatic sport quads that have interchangeable ratios. How much time do you think you can save from not shifting?

Brauap
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
I would be all for electric bikes IF

They didn't look stupid as hell
Charging didn't take hours
Batteries didn't cost $3000 (i.e. the Zero)
They where as fast as modern 250 or 450's
Didn't cost $8000

Don't get me wrong, I aint no hippy at all.. but imagine ripping though the woods with no sound minus the cracking sticks under your tires and being able to sneak up on deer and such.. I really could get into that!

In the next 50 years I expect:

A whole new level in Electric Racing
SMOG'd out quads and bikes :rolleyes:
There will be no more flats.. all run-flats
Full air suspension (better than the new Fox shocks)
Quads with Ti or Chomo frames
Light Quads
Extremely light quads/bikes
There will be almost no place to ride legally
etc

a few +'s but ALOT of -'s

One_Bad_400
06-30-2010, 04:08 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
In 50 years i think that natural resources such as oil and gas will be gone; therefore, if there is any motocross related racing it will be on electric powered machines.

i'm not saying we wont use them, becasue technology will advance and we will find something better but we are NO WHERE CLOSE to being out of oil.

Brauap
06-30-2010, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by One_Bad_400
we are NO WHERE CLOSE to being out of oil.

I don't know about that.. if BP doesn't plug up that well soon....... haha jk

yam450_53
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
I think trying to predict 50 years ahead of your time is impossible. . and that fossil fuel comment was totally off. Sorry I had to be the smartass of the thread

06-30-2010, 06:10 PM
just saying a local businesshere made an electric quad, the motor is the like the size of your forearm and it made 28HP and I forget how much torque. Problem as always is battery weight. I cant remember what they used but I'm thinking some litium ion or something or a way to have an alternator to charge while you ride? IDK It will happen.

slightlybent47
06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
I can remember back in the 60”s when they said that by the year 2000 we would all be riding around in a flying car like on the Jettisons, were not even close yet, I’m still waiting!

As for oil we will be out of any oil that we can get too.

destey
07-01-2010, 04:21 AM
Originally posted by yam450_53
I think trying to predict 50 years ahead of your time is impossible. . and that fossil fuel comment was totally off. Sorry I had to be the smartass of the thread

Yep, back in the 1950s they thought we'd be driving around in spacecraft by the year 2000.

But there are things that come along that nobody could have predicted. If you said in the 70s/80s you would be able to go on the computer and look up any fact, chat with anyone in the world, buy anything half the price you could locally, you would have had a lot of explaining to do and a lot of faces looking like "huh?"

Ichoptop
07-01-2010, 07:38 AM
its coming. www.ktmfreeride.com
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/autopia/2010/03/ktm-freeride-02.jpg

if they can get battery cycle life up and battery cycle longer I would be down.

Pappy
07-01-2010, 07:40 AM
Im more worried about the next 5 years much less further then that :p In the past, when support waned, smaller aftermarket companies stepped up but in this current economic cluster foxtrot, im not sure they can muster the support for the racers or the series.

For many of you, you are about to see your first major downturn in our sport on all fronts.

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2010, 08:16 AM
First of all, we still have enough fossil fuels in the USA alone, to power our country for damn near 300 years.. Never mind what oil the other countries have.

Second of all, I will NEVER own an electric bike.. or quad. The problem with electric, is that you will only have the most power right after charging it. After that it slowly loses power the whole time..

They need to come up with a system, with a small, lightweight, aluminum generator (like a 5hp) which would consume a VERY small amount of fuel, and be able to charge the battery as you ride.

Ichoptop
07-01-2010, 08:21 AM
[i]Second of all, I will NEVER own an electric bike.. or quad. The problem with electric, is that you will only have the most power right after charging it. After that it slowly loses power the whole time.. [/B]

though this is true, it doesnt effect motor performance. A vast majority of all electric vehicles have a variable controller that regulates power. With these you get the same amount of power through the duty cycle and will generally cut all power when it starts to drop below a pre-determined amount.

its not like every 5 minutes the motor is getting a half volt less then before.

Hondamaster5505
07-01-2010, 08:34 AM
Originally posted by Ichoptop
though this is true, it doesnt effect motor performance. A vast majority of all electric vehicles have a variable controller that regulates power. With these you get the same amount of power through the duty cycle and will generally cut all power when it starts to drop below a pre-determined amount.

its not like every 5 minutes the motor is getting a half volt less then before.

Really? Huh, you learn something new everyday. In that case it's a little better.. but I would still never own one.

There's nothing like having that 2-stroke in the meat of it's powerband and hearing that sound, or the deep rumble of a 4-stroke tearing through the woods. Electric just doesn't do it for me..

How interesting would it be watching ama supercross without the bikes having that sound and rev-limiters, lol. Not much at all.

MX MaNiAc 06
07-02-2010, 02:15 PM
More dingbat rookies that go out and buy 450s and get hurt. Leading to slower quads and a lamer sport :rolleyes:

I'd be content if nothing ever changed. haha

fastredrider44
07-02-2010, 02:53 PM
I'm all for progression, but every step taken, is not always a step in the right way. And never say never. If all I can ride is an electric quad, then I will be riding an electric quad. My race bike will become furniture in my house though.:devil: