PDA

View Full Version : Will I be disowned?.....

SilverLake250R
06-29-2010, 11:54 AM
Will everyone be pissed if I buy a 450r on Friday? Just for beating the crap out of though. I found an '07 special edition with the red frame and black plastic for $3300 with only 3 rides on it, thought it was a pretty good deal, what do you think?

My reasoning is I can't bring myself to ride my '89 at the track and get it all muddy....I just want to ride it in the dunes...by the way, I bought some LT Axis for it, so now I can put my Roll arms on!

Ruf Racing
06-29-2010, 01:33 PM
Are you kidding? I have both R's, and love them equally. They are the best of both worlds. Anybody tell you differently, they need to pull their head out of their AS$ES! Sounds like a hell of a deal. GO FOR IT. :D

Rich250RRacer
06-29-2010, 01:41 PM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
Will everyone be pissed if I buy a 450r on Friday? Just for beating the crap out of though. I found an '07 special edition with the red frame and black plastic for $3300 with only 3 rides on it, thought it was a pretty good deal, what do you think?

My reasoning is I can't bring myself to ride my '89 at the track and get it all muddy....I just want to ride it in the dunes...by the way, I bought some LT Axis for it, so now I can put my Roll arms on!

It would be a sweeter deal if it was a low hour 04-05. Much more reliable machines, especially the transmissions.

atvmxr
06-29-2010, 02:27 PM
I guess thats an ok deal. Last year I picked up an extremely low hour 05 450r for $2k

they are decent to ride, but I prefer the 250 and let my newbie gf or friends ride the 450 as a starter bike... probably not a fair comparison since the 250 is pretty modded and the 450r is stock but whatever...

SilverLake250R
06-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Yeah that's part of it too- my friends are constantly driving my truck on the dunes, and I'd much rather let them drive my 450.

troybilt
06-29-2010, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by SilverLake250R
Yeah that's part of it too- my friends are constantly driving my truck on the dunes, and I'd much rather let them drive my 450.

Go for it dude, you won't be disappointed. I love mine, no "transmission" issues whatsoever... I spend a lot of time over on the 450r. org site too, lots of good info. I can also get you in touch with whatever aftermarket stuff you need, and I've got an awesome builder too... :macho

Go big or go home!

morse250r
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
x2 i have an 06 no trans issues love it
its my trail duner quad 04/05 cranks are known to go out seen 4 of buddies go out

SilverLake250R
06-29-2010, 07:16 PM
Fair enough! I just called the guy, and I am going to pick it up Thursday! Then I can really focus on building my R without worrying about having something to ride every weekend:D .

Latemodel32
06-29-2010, 07:46 PM
did you buy it local? I have a 05 450R and its fun but i miss my 250R's:(

Rich250RRacer
06-29-2010, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by morse250r
x2 i have an 06 no trans issues love it
its my trail duner quad 04/05 cranks are known to go out seen 4 of buddies go out

I rebuilt six 06 and newer transmissions over the past winter, all with major problems. I have yet to have an 04/05 come through my shop with a bad crank. The only 04/05 I touched in the last year was an 05 XC motor that was still running it's original crank and it's owner wanted it freshened up. For some reason, the 06's are marginally better than the 07 and newer transmissions (even though they're all supposed to be the same parts and use the same part numbers for the tranny components). :confused: If a small shop like mine sees that many of the newer motors and fewer old ones, I can only imagine what the big guys have to say about them. That's enough proof for me, not a few guys saying they've never had an issue.

Rich250RRacer
06-29-2010, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
I rebuilt six 06 and newer transmissions over the past winter, all with major problems. I have yet to have an 04/05 come through my shop with a bad crank. The only 04/05 I touched in the last year was an 05 XC motor that was still running it's original crank and it's owner wanted it freshened up. For some reason, the 06's are marginally better than the 07 and newer transmissions (even though they're all supposed to be the same parts and use the same part numbers for the tranny components). :confused: If a small shop like mine sees that many of the newer motors and fewer old ones, I can only imagine what the big guys have to say about them. That's enough proof for me, not a few guys saying they've never had an issue.

I'm sorry, after looking it up, I was wrong on that number. It was seven transmissions. Two 06's, three 07's and two 08's.

hondamancbr03
06-29-2010, 10:59 PM
I'm sorry, after looking it up, I was wrong on that number. It was seven transmissions. Two 06's, three 07's and two 08's.

I would say you should provide a class on how to shift a bike or change the oil to all your customers:)
I had an 06 that i beat the hell out of and sold it while it was still running and shifting as good as new....There is another member on this forum that rides with me that can back that up.
I can not say anything good or bad about the 04/05 being i've never owned one and it would only be my opinion which i think we have enough of opinions being stated on here.

troybilt
06-30-2010, 04:51 AM
That's enough proof for me, not a few guys saying they've never had an issue.

No disrespect, but aren't you doing the same thing? i.e. explaining the issues you've had? How is that different than us saying we've never had an issue? I guess cause it disagrees with yours... Sorry to hear you've had bad experiences... Silverlake was coming on hear asking us if buying a very low hour stock 07 450r for 3300 was a decent deal, which he was apprehensive about in the first place.. anyway and I think it is a decent buy. ...Geez man...

The biggest issues I've heard of on 06-09's is the false neutral... I trust my builder and he knows his crap period, ...its not just my opinion. Motoxperts fix the false neutral for $150, and its only been a problem under severe racing conditions. I personally don't think you could go wrong with any year of 450r, I wanted E-start, but after having e-start I think I would rather have kick-start, which I'll convert someday. Right now in the middle of tearing it down to do a frame up build.

SilverLake250R
06-30-2010, 07:08 AM
Thanks troy, and everyone. I appreciate the opinions. Hopefully I won't have problems with it, I don't really plan on modding it, except maybe a HRC kit or something.

latemodel32- Don't worry, I am in no way even thinking about selling my 250R. I just want to have something to ride when my R is broken or when I'm adding stuff to it.

atvmxr
06-30-2010, 07:43 AM
I guess it doesnt matter, but only the very early 04s had problems with the crank bearings. otherwise they are fine, I was a bit leary with my 05 but after talking to Rage he said it shouldnt be a problem until I try to get 55+hp out of it. which Im not

the 06+have a longer swingarm and something is different with the front spindles and etc. makes them more prone to push in the corners - which would probably only matter on the MX track and not what your intended use is

i prefer kick start quads because in my opinion if you cant start it you probably shouldnt be riding it

i still think $3300 is too much

maryland450r
06-30-2010, 03:07 PM
Go for it with the 450r! Like said above.... having the 250r and the 450r are the best of both worlds. I do think my 250r is more fun to ride and handles better, but my 450 will rip your arms right out the sockets...lol. After I ride my 250 for a few weeks and then get back on the 450, it scares the hell out of me...... just the different kind of power and the never ending powerband with the Gen I hrc cam.

I have had both an '04 and my '07 with absolutely no problems what so ever. I do ride my 450's hard, it's what they like. Main thing is just keep the crankcase oil, tranny oil changed often and common sense maintenance.

ml250r
06-30-2010, 03:18 PM
I SHOULD B!!! i bought a yfz450! heard everybody sayin how bad***** these thing were.....well........ I've nvr been more dissapointed in a quad in my life! This thing is about as exciting to ride as a mo-ped! Super dissapointed and really missin the R i traded for it :( :ermm:

tt racer
07-04-2010, 10:34 AM
A properly tuned yfz will outrun a 04 05 450r the 06 and up 450rs are faster for sure.

Ruf Racing
07-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by tt racer
A properly tuned yfz will outrun a 04 05

:eek2: :ermm: :huh

mx Eli
07-04-2010, 10:38 PM
with basic mods (pipe cam, cam mod, and jet kit) the yfz will have a little more hp but a built 450r will kill a built yfz in a race

and a 450r will always be more reliable