PDA

View Full Version : hard to steer

woodsracer144
06-29-2010, 10:23 AM
ok so my quad has been really hard to steer ever since i got it i just delt with it but now im re doing everything and i want to fix that, i ordered new ball joints and im waiting on them still, but when i dont have the tierods mounted on the stem it is free, mount them and it turns hard so would it be a mix of tie rod ends and the ball joints or just the joints?

C-LEIGH RACING
06-29-2010, 11:00 AM
Its probaly them little girlie man arms :blah: :D :D

Seriously though, theres some ball joints that are pressed together to much & its hard as the dickens to get the ball to rotate.
The 450R my daughter was runnng last year, when sitting still you could hardly turn the bars & was giving her a fit out on the track.
We ended up getting a set of Roberts a arms with those high dollar gold adjustable ball joints & those freed it up a bunch.
Still though, not as free as the ol 250R. You can flop those handle bars back & forth sitting on it sitting still.
If she aint carfull out on the track, everytime her upper body wobbles side to side the bike will turn & follow.

You might could try getting another nut other than the castle one & screw it onto the ball joint to protect the threads & then turn it upside down on a flat surface & frap that nut with a hammer & loosen the joint a little, free it up.
Neil

J.B.
06-29-2010, 11:03 AM
what about the bushing under the stem clamp on the front of the frame? My old 400 would be hard to turn and a quick spray of some lube on that bushing made a big difference.

woodsracer144
06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
its not in the steerin stem or anything like that cause i take the tierods off and it turns free but with them on its hard to turn

C-LEIGH RACING
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Take a small screwdriver & pull them joint rubbers back & see if they are rusted inside. Can never tell.
Neil

86 Quad R
06-29-2010, 12:04 PM
also. remove the tie ends from the spindles and rotate the spindles by hand this will determine if its in the ball joints or in the tie ends.

atvmxr
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Im assuming you dont have a steering stabilizer? :ermm:

woodsracer144
06-29-2010, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by atvmxr
Im assuming you dont have a steering stabilizer? :ermm:

nope.. took it off and still hard to turn