View Full Version : Decisions? MX or Cross Country? So Undecisive

stever250r
06-29-2010, 08:57 AM
Well... After a death in the family forced me to part out my frame up MX 250R build last year, I am going through ATV race detox this summer and I dont care for it one bit..

I am ready to get back on the seat (shooting for next spring) but I really dont know what to do. I love the TRX250R but dont know if I have it in me to spend the time searching for parts to build another one up. I have also had thoughts of steering away from the MX track and giving the woods racing a try. The GNCC series is all within a reasonable drive for me, and I have always wanted to give the cross country racing a try. I grew up riding in the woods and on old strip mines in WV as a kid and I really miss that type of riding.

Ive never built a XC ATV so I guess Im just looking for advice and opinions from members who have raced both. Which do you prefer?

Will a stock KTMXC/ YFZ450X fit the bill for the GNCC or will it still require Mods..

Too many choices.. I just dont know what I want.. or what I want to do...

I wish I could just snap my fingers and have my TRX250R back and I would I just hit the MX track...

yellowzo3
06-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Well, it all narrows down to which style of riding you like more.

I like MX, but there's nothing like cruising through the trails on a nice fall day. The thing with MX is that you can't go slow... you have to be riding at a pretty peppy pace if you don't want to roll every jump. In the woods you can hit it hard for a while and then cruise around for a few minutes if you get a little tired.

As for racing, XC is tough. Your quad is going to take a beating just as much if not more than it would in MX. You could very well race XC with a YFZ... Just slap on some handguard, nerfs if you'd like, skidplates, and a nice set of tires. I guess it depends on which class you're riding as well.

I say give XC a try if its closer. Driving gets old after a while and its not cheap to travel all the time. If you have local trails you could get a whole bunch of seat time for free instead of paying $40 a day to practice at an MX track.

Scro
06-29-2010, 11:23 AM
Once I tried XC, there was no way I would ever go back to MX. There is way too much sitting around waiting all day on 20 minutes worth of riding. If you make a mistake in XC, you have 2 hours to make the time back up.

stever250r
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Scro
Once I tried XC, there was no way I would ever go back to MX. There is way too much sitting around waiting all day on 20 minutes worth of riding. If you make a mistake in XC, you have 2 hours to make the time back up.

Thats a good point... I never looked at it that way. I will be 38 years old next January and spent most of my late teens, early twenties, and early to mid 30s racing MX series at local tracks. I think its time to try a different style of quad racing.

Now I just decide on what ATV to purchase.... New/Used... and figure out what mods I need to get started...

Scro
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
If you want to be competitive, you will need 20" rears and 21" fronts, a good set of skids, and a stabilizer. Those are the things that I wouldn't race without. I would start out on a Honda or Yamaha with those mods. They are the cheapest to race, and have more used parts available. If you like XC after you've tried it, tireballs and suspension are a must for anyone wanting to get faster and more consistent finishes. After you race a couple you will realize that suspension is the key to XC, and motor means nothing.

quad2xtreme
06-29-2010, 02:11 PM

Yep, I fight this every time I think of racing. Generally, I'd rather just go practice at a track all day long and enjoy riding. To make it worse, I usually only get a high from racing for the start and 1/2 a lap. It is very rare to be battling for all 4 laps...on quads that is.

quad2xtreme
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Originally posted by stever250r

Sweet looking 250r

SRH
06-29-2010, 08:28 PM
xc is more fun i raced mx for about 9 yrs xc you get more seat time, a more relaxed environment and overall safer

feuerstack411
06-29-2010, 09:20 PM
I race MX now and the only thing about XC that appeals to me is the fact you're able to sleep in.

fastredrider44
06-30-2010, 09:16 AM
Come again? There's no sleepin in.

feuerstack411
06-30-2010, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by fastredrider44
Come again? There's no sleepin in.

Around here quads race during the afternoon. I think they start around 12 or 1.

Compared to waking up at 4 or 5am and start racing around 10.

So yes that is sleeping in.

fastredrider44
06-30-2010, 11:43 AM
Racing cross country also means driving cross country. I wake up very early for a take off at 2 or 1 depending on the series, and sometimes have to leave a day or two early just for the drive. But what does waking up have to do with racing?:rolleyes:

Scro
06-30-2010, 11:46 AM
I have a hard time getting to sleep the night before a race, much less sleeping in. I'm up and ready to race at 4-5am, whether I'm in my own bed with a 6 hour drive or staying at the track.:p

MX MaNiAc 06
07-01-2010, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Yep, I fight this every time I think of racing. Generally, I'd rather just go practice at a track all day long and enjoy riding. To make it worse, I usually only get a high from racing for the start and 1/2 a lap. It is very rare to be battling for all 4 laps...on quads that is.

I love going to a practice track and messing around with my buddies. I prefer MX because i love jumping. I've ridden with guys practicing xc and it's annoying to me. Trees, rocks, mud, branches, jaggers. And they always have to be going full tilt. Kinda takes the fun out of trail riding for me. haha

Lquad71
07-02-2010, 12:40 PM
i love mx because of how much more intense it is and disiplined you have to be when it comes to making mistakes. much faster speed and you cant make mistakes.and you need to be going as fast as possible the entire race.you cant even think about letting up at all:D

hondariderdylan
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I have a hard time getting to sleep the night before a race, much less sleeping in. I'm up and ready to race at 4-5am, whether I'm in my own bed with a 6 hour drive or staying at the track.:p

i do that too:p

I love XC and have convinced myself i would probably die on an mx track. If you do try XC just stay out of the faster riders way, and STAY off the couch. Work out, exercise key muscles, stay hydrated,get your endurance up. it will all help you when your banging bars out in the woods:cool:

Scro
07-02-2010, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by Lquad71
you need to be going as fast as possible the entire race.you cant even think about letting up at all:D

I go as fast as possible in an XC race. But towards the end of a 2 hour race, my "fast as possible" isn't quite the speed of my "fast as possible" at the start. :p

fastredrider44
07-02-2010, 02:01 PM
I go as fast as possible in an XC race. But towards the end of a 2 hour race, my "fast as possible" isn't quite the speed of my "fast as possible" at the start. :p

I think only the top pros can go as fast as possible the whole time. Anyone else that says they are going as fast as possible the whole race and isn't a pro, is not fast enough. lol. I have ran a couple mx races in the past, and I just don't like sitting around waiting to go again. At an XC, you gear up, race, finish, change clothes. If your fourwheeler is stock, run both and see which one you like better.