PDA

View Full Version : ticking?

beasley34
06-29-2010, 06:30 AM
I have a 400ex with a really bad ticking sound and I don't know to do to make it go away?Could anyone tell me what I can do to make it go away? It has gotten worse every time I ride. Any help would be great.

06-29-2010, 06:39 AM
the sound mite be the timming chain. if you have not changed it yet i would and the guids if they look bad. go with a 450 timming chain. it works great. and it helps with the sound. you will all ways hear a small tick cuz of the cam but if it gets louder as you ride it you need to change it befor you realy (f) it up.

beasley34
06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
thanks i'll try it let you know if it helps

JOHNDOE83
06-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Mine used to tick, Im not sure what made it go away...lol.

It coulda been a number of things, I bumped up to larger jetting, I use 20w 50 motor oil, better gas, the top motor mount may have had something to do with it, header crush gaskets, this was all around the time I did a rebuild never touching any internals other then jets...and the top motor mount.

I dont know what did it but its not tickin anymore....lol.

look up nacs ticking thread I posted a link on his thread explaining the tick and the motor mount.

06-30-2010, 04:16 PM
u mite want to watch how u say u use better gas then us. what ur gas is the best now? lol just playing im going to stop nowhave fun. johndoe if i come down we will go ride at a track.

JOHNDOE83
06-30-2010, 04:18 PM
LOL...keep em comin....well race soon enough...lol

4reeds
06-30-2010, 05:28 PM
I would start with adjusting your valves first.Alot cheaper and easier.But if you do need new timing chain guides,I have one of them still in the package.You can have it just pay the shipping.