PDA

View Full Version : coolant leak

tritty_wall
06-28-2010, 12:25 PM
OK after a weekend of trying to find the coolant leak on the clutch side of my motor, (took apart my water pump and chk if it was working right, and it seemed to be. Then replaced all the seals on the water pump) Thought is was the water pump but i don't think it was but o well can't hurt having new seals. I think I traced the leak to the little hole that is under the water pump on the clutch cover. Why is the hole there? and has anyone ever had a leak from it? any kind of fix or will i just have to get a new clutch cover? Thanks

86 Quad R
06-28-2010, 12:42 PM
are you still leaking from the wheep hole after you changed the mechanical seal? the wheep hole is there for the very reason as an indicater in the even the "mechanical" seal fails.

for reference.............. i will coat the seal and porcelin with vaseline prior to assembly to coat things upon initial startup after a seal replacement. works very well. infact i was in the same shoes as you many a moon ago and received the same advise that im giving you.

i went back and tore into it and applied the vaseline, re-assembled things and havent had a minute trouble since. that was 10 years ago. :cool:

tritty_wall
06-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Is the mechanical seal the black one in the centre of the water pump that the shaft slides though? If so that one I didn't replace, I bought this cover from 250Rtrikes on ebay and said it had a new re-built water pump. That seal looks brand new so I left it alone, I just changed the 2 gasket/seals between the water pump cover.

06-28-2010, 09:25 PM
I bought a lot of stuff from 250RTRIKES on ebay, all have worked great. I messed up my new rings during installation (bent the lip during installation) and needed new rings, I contacted 250RTRIKEs and they sent me a new set of rings at N/C, even if it was my fault. Point is, contact 250RTRIKES, the owner is a stand up guy and will make things right if a problem exists. I suggest you contact them if the vaseline does not work and have them look at your clutch cover/waterpump.

PS: I got a polished clutch cover/waterpump from them and have had zero leaks or trouble.

tritty_wall
06-28-2010, 10:51 PM
I've bought lots of stuff from them to, and everything is good. I was thinking of contacting them but I bought it in the winter when i was doing my re-build and just though to much time has past for them to do anything about it. I might contact them anyways just to see what they say. Thanks for the info

06-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Try contacting them, the rings I messed up was from a wossner piston kit i bought 4 months before, they still sent me new rings at N/C because i bought a lot of stuff and continue to buy, customer service I guess, you got nothing to loose.