PDA

View Full Version : K&N vs. UNI

Rebel300
02-02-2003, 05:04 PM
What airfilter is better, K&N or UNI filter. My dealer told me not to run the K&N on my 300 because the k&n lets more dirt in. They said just about every 300 and 400 that comes in with a k&n is dusted. Which means the cylinder walls r scratched like someone took a file too it. They told me to buy a foam filter so i got a UNI.

trailburner
02-02-2003, 06:50 PM
I have a K&N[oiled good] with a outerwear on it & the inside of my intake boot is never dirty!!! but the uni is also a very good filter.

wheeltrax
02-02-2003, 07:11 PM
I have had experiences with both. I have seen some K&N's let dirt in the motor, and some i have seen not. I am running a uni in my 250 just to be on the safe side. The K&N is a good filter too tho, i have one on one of my quads and it hasnt let anything in it since i have had it. It all depends on if you wash it, and oil it properly from what i see and hear.

MX26
02-02-2003, 07:57 PM
I run UNI on my 250R, and had a K&N on my Banshee. Flip a coin. They're both good filters. I prefer the UNI though.

rob-u/21
02-02-2003, 08:31 PM
The k&n gives you better performance but the uni keeps dirt out better. If you keep cleaning and oiling your filter about every two or three rides go with the k&n. And use their jet kit also it works really good together.

Martin Blair
02-02-2003, 08:34 PM
OK here you go.

UNI
1. Blocks alot of dirt
2. Flows ok amount of air

K&N
1. Blocks Dirt With addition of outwear
2. Flows a little more air then uni

Its basicly waht you want but i like K&N better.

northeast400
02-02-2003, 08:35 PM
what about a twin air? I have had good luck with mine

JD400exrider
02-02-2003, 08:56 PM
I run a Uni with No-Toil oil. It works well. Also i have my air box lid cut on the top. (large Opening) with a outer wear over the top of air box opening.

lilpoppy
02-02-2003, 09:27 PM
I use the K&N and I havn't had any problems but you need to make sure that when you clean it you let it dry completly before you oil it because oil and water don't mix. Just keep it clean and well oiled and you won't have any problems.

Loeryder
02-02-2003, 09:37 PM
I run a UNI and after 6 or so VERY dusty rides this summer I checked my intake tube and it was spotless, no dust even.

Recently cleaned it and it looks brand new again.

Fluid400
02-03-2003, 11:51 AM
getting a UNI with an outer wear. Hear that is the best

KAWSAM62
02-03-2003, 01:10 PM
run a uni with a outerwares waterproof and just clean the outerwares every ride and the uni will remain spotless for several rides and you clean the outerwares with purple power or simple green! works great in dusty climate!:devil :devil

OutlawEX
02-03-2003, 02:51 PM
I run a K&n right now..im gonna buy a Uni to do some of my own testing

Newbie400ex
02-03-2003, 04:10 PM
The thing about cylinder dusting is that it usually takes quite a bit of dust to damage the cylinder wall enough to make it look "dusted". I've seen a few dozers with dusted cylinders and you can always trace the source of the airleak by following the trail of dust that is usually present. So if you have enough dust getting through to dust your cylinder then you would be able to see it inside the intake system somewhere and would be able to remedy the problem before serious damage can occur when doing routine filter maintenance.

Rebel300
02-03-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Since my bike is at the dealer gettin serviced, Im having them put on a UNI filter, with a outerwears airbox lid. Im not sure wat it is but they said itll work better than just puttin in a new filter. Does anyone know anything about these, such as wat they look like, wat they do, and if they work. I havent seen it yet but im pickin it up this wednesday.

2fastandfurious
02-03-2003, 04:54 PM
K and N is better. Think about it. There company is about 3 times the size of UNI. I talked to a engineer at K and N at a camping place one time and he explained some pretty interesting stuff, Yes K and N's do let more pass SO DO UNIS.
-Ben

bmw500hp
02-03-2003, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by 2fastandfurious
K and N is better. Think about it. There company is about 3 times the size of UNI. I talked to a engineer at K and N at a camping place one time and he explained some pretty interesting stuff, Yes K and N's do let more pass SO DO UNIS.
-Ben

2fast .....what are some of the things the engineer talked about???? Not looking for ammo to flame...just want to learn more about what hot and whats not...:chinese: