PDA

View Full Version : 2005 predator 90 battery

elliottaw
06-28-2010, 04:38 AM
i have a 2005 Predator 90 and the battery keeps dying while my daughter is riding it, I know that it is not an issue of the battery because it is only a year old and does not go bad when I put it in our other quad, so what could be the problem that it is dying in this one, what should I look at see why the quad is not charging it while it is being ridden.

jjd223
06-28-2010, 05:51 PM
im not sure if the "charging" system is the same as the 4 stroke Outlaw 90 but i would look at the regulator rectifier if it is.

elliottaw
06-28-2010, 06:06 PM
thanks, is there a way to test it now (volt meter or something) or is it best to just buy a new one and see if that works, should the volts if I do test it be in the 12.# range or should I expect higher, I do all the repair on our ATVs because my husband doesn't have much time and I have not been able to find a repair manual for this quad yet

jjd223
06-28-2010, 06:47 PM
i tested mine a very simple way, the regulator ectifier was suspect, so i started the quad and disconnected the battery. if the regulator rectifier is good the quad should still run. if bad it will stall immediatly.
this is not 100% conclusive of a regulator rectifier problem, but i was lucky. im not sure if the Predator 90 electrical system is the same as the Outlaw 90.
i guess the service manual would indicate that as well as how to test the circuit with a multimeter

elliottaw
06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
well the quad runs with the battery out and all electrics work (horn, starter) with no battery when it is running but the battery goes dead after a day or two or riding, I am going to have to try to find a service manual for it

jjd223
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
Does the quad have running lights?
if so its possible the battery wont charge with the lights on, i removed the lights on our Outlaw 90's and it resolved the dead battery issues.

elliottaw
06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
it is supposed to have a tail light but it is removed right now because it was broken and there is no headlights on it so the only other electrical things are the starter and horn, what size battery does your outlaw have, when we bought it, there was a 4lb battery in it but I am thinking it is a little too small and that it should have the 5lb battery

jjd223
06-30-2010, 06:13 PM
5LB

elliottaw
06-30-2010, 07:01 PM
ok got the 5lb battery and found a mystery fuse in the middle of the wire around the engine that was blown, so we will if that makes a difference when we go riding tomorrow

elliottaw
07-01-2010, 05:59 PM
ok it ran good for a while but then the fuse blew again, replaced it while we there and then shortly after it blew again so now I have to figure out why it keeps blowing

elliottaw
07-15-2010, 05:27 PM
ok so I have it all figured out now, the fuse keeps blowing because one of the tail light wires was off and I am guessing it kept making contact with the other one and blowing the fuse, taped the wires up until the new light gets here and is working like a charm now