PDA

View Full Version : A arm issue

a4guy
06-27-2010, 10:31 PM
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y61/civex/IMG00061.jpg

Which one is bent? I am guessing the one on the left. Not sure exactly what caused it to bend like that.

I don't have the cash to spring for +2 a arms so I was thinking about bending it back and using them for a while because the ball joints are not as bad as I thought. Any Ideas?

If anyone has a cheap set of + A-arms sitting around let me know.

beags86
06-27-2010, 11:03 PM
you should be able to bend that back ok, i'm a welder by trade and do stuff like that all the time. is that ball joint threaded? looks like it is. take it out if you can, heat will destroy that in a heart beat. find a bolt that threads in there. then CAREFULLY apply some heat to the bend. take a pipe and slide it over the bolt and pull on it a bit at a time.

if that ball joint isn't threaded you will have to find a way to use something else, pipe wrench, vise grips, etc, etc, use your head, think outside of the box, there is no wrong way here.

maybe put the ball joint in a vise and clamp a pipe to the ends and pull down. like i said think it out, and you will get it.

now with the bend hot. now, number one thing here TAKE YOUR TIME, bend a bit and heat bend a bit and heat back and forth. looks like it should come out just fine.

from the pic thats all i can tell you looks fixable to me. and yeah i would say the one on the left.

if that ball joint doesn't come out, becareful not to put to much heat into it at one time. nothing red hot, metal moves without it being red hot, contrary to peoples beliefs

GOOD LUCK

a4guy
06-27-2010, 11:10 PM
The ball joints do not come out. It would be nice if they did. I will stick it in the vice tomorrow and add some heat to see what I can do. Thanks.

guenther
06-28-2010, 08:00 AM
What about a little heat and a BFH? Looks like it would only take a couple hits to get it back into shape.

a4guy
06-28-2010, 02:59 PM
Well I got it straight with a couple hits with a BFH. Scrapped all the old paint off and sanded them down. I was going to sand blast them and powder coat them but I'm not going to stick any money into something I am going to replace. Just going to get some primer and spray them black again then a few coats of clear.

One of the boots on the lower ball joint is wasted so I am trying to fix it the best I can. I have a few grease fittings laying around so I am going to tap and put them in so I can pump them full of of grease.

I just need to get some aftermarkets soon!