PDA

View Full Version : clutch problem any help

tbrackman84
06-27-2010, 09:14 PM
I know this isnt the right place for this but i need a little advice, i have a 2001 400ex, and it seems to be having clutch problems. when i was out last, it was hard to pull out and when i did pull out it made a strange noise like grabbing funny or something, and it feels like it was grabbing ok low in the gear but at high revs it would just rev out and not go anywhere, like rev and no power to the wheels. I put a new clutch cable on and that didint fix the problem, so i went and got an EBC clutch rebuild kit. Do you guys think this will solve the problem? i'm going on a riding trip over the 4th weekend so i'm hoping i can get it fixed and good before the trip lol.

Jim417mx
06-29-2010, 11:17 AM
The hard to pull would most likely be the cable... but the slipping in high gear would be the plates/fibers (the actual clutch)... if you replace both you should be good to go... dont forget to soak the new plates and fibers in oil for a while before you install them.. i forget exactly how long, maybe a few hours?

Scro
06-29-2010, 11:28 AM
Also be sure to inspect the clutch basket before putting the new clutches in. If it's grooved, it may be causing the hard pull. If it is just slightly grooved, you can file them down smooth again. But only do this if it's not bad. You don't want to take a whole lot of material off. The slipping is probably because the fibers are worn.