PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Lever Replacement

bkelley
06-27-2010, 11:21 AM
I picked up a universal clutch lever to replace my stock one so I could get rid of the parking brake assembly crap. I was wondering what the switch assembly was for and if I could just remove it.

Talking about #3 here on the schematic.

http://www.dgy.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=166402&category=ATVs&make=HONDA&year=2005&fveh=3833

JOHNDOE83
06-27-2010, 11:30 AM
cut the wires twist em together with some heat shrink and your good to go. it just the two wires that go to the clutch.

clemsonteg
06-27-2010, 11:40 AM
yeah the 2 wires are supposed to be the safety so you can't start it in gear without the clutch pulled in. This reminds me that I still need to install my ASV clutch levers and PB block offs.

bkelley
06-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Alright, that's what I though. I remember reading somewhere that you just cut them but I wasn't sure. Thanks, guys.

beags86
06-27-2010, 12:16 PM
yep, good ol' neutral safety switch, go ahead and twist them together. i used a male and felmale spade- type connectors on mine. then heat - shrinked them together. be careful as when you do that you can start it anytime without the clutch pulled in.

what kind of lever did you get?

i got an applied racing ball bearing lever on my 02. i love it but i am wondering if i should just get one of those for my 05 or something else?

bkelley
06-27-2010, 12:51 PM
I just got some cheap universal for $15 at the local shop. I am actually going to take it back because I have to thread the cable almost all the way out before the clutch even starts to get tight. I want to get an ASV but I don't know if I can drop $70 on one. Gonna see what else the shop has to offer.

Actually, that Applied Racing one looks pretty nice and is a decent price. Might have to pick one of those up.

beags86
06-27-2010, 01:07 PM
yeah i hear ya on the 70 bucks, i wanted a ASV as well, but i was was haveing a hard time dealing with 70 bucks for a clutch lever, so i put a post up and i heard some good things about the applied lever and it seamed like a decent amount of people were useing them.
so i poped the 30 bucks for it and haven't looked back sense. but i am still willing to try something else on my 05. if i can't find something at a decent price it will get the same.

i love the ball bearing action. so whatever the 05 gets it will HAVE to be ball bearing.

i also put on a new 92' 250x cable at the same time, 16 bucks at honda on customer apprection day. about 22 new anyother time.
you might want to look into that when you do the lever, 20 bucks more and 5 more minutes of work and you barely have to pull on the thing. its like butter, amazing

honda400ex2003
06-27-2010, 01:24 PM
you could also put a fuse in there to keep the stock ends on the wires. this way if you ever needed to put the stock stuff back on you could still use the switch again. steve

clemsonteg
06-27-2010, 01:39 PM
I didn't want to pay the ASV prices either. I bought mine on ebay, they are second hands that are rebuilt by ASV and sold on ebay. The coating on mine is kind of scratched up but for half the price I got all of the good features of the ASV lever. I think I paid $45 each for the F3 lever that retails for $90. I made an offer on the ebay listing here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270543698524&viewitem=) . At the time they only had the ones with the hot start listed which you don't need but I can remove it, or I thought about getting a cable made up to operate the reverse on my 06 and tying it into the hot start lever

bkelley
06-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
I didn't want to pay the ASV prices either. I bought mine on ebay, they are second hands that are rebuilt by ASV and sold on ebay. The coating on mine is kind of scratched up but for half the price I got all of the good features of the ASV lever. I think I paid $45 each for the F3 lever that retails for $90. I made an offer on the ebay listing here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270543698524&viewitem=) . At the time they only had the ones with the hot start listed which you don't need but I can remove it, or I thought about getting a cable made up to operate the reverse on my 06 and tying it into the hot start lever I rather get the new Applied one for cheaper than a used ASV. I don't really need an unbreakable lever on a quad. Just need a nice AOF lever.

What do you guys thing of this one? MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=189&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=11631)

And then pairing it up with this cable: Motion Pro Clutch Cable (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=146&webTypeId=33&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&stockId=209983&prodFamilyId=9145)

I like ordering from RMATV because I get my orders in 1-2 days. Looking to get all my stuff before next weekend.

440ex. ehhh!!
06-27-2010, 03:16 PM
[i]
What do you guys thing of this one? MSR AOF Clutch Perch & Lever (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=189&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&prodFamilyId=11631)

And then pairing it up with this cable: Motion Pro Clutch Cable (http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&vehicleId=146&webTypeId=33&navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&stockId=209983&prodFamilyId=9145)

I like ordering from RMATV because I get my orders in 1-2 days. Looking to get all my stuff before next weekend. [/B]

okay, frist of all, i have that exact set up on my 01. i have broken 2 cables since march and i am on my 3rd. what happens is right where the cable connects to the lever, it rubs on the lever because there isn't enough space in there, i tried grinding the opening down a bit but it still rubs everytime i pull the clutch. so eventually, the cable will just snap right there :ermm:
but aside from that, the lever feels great.

Rkangel7
06-27-2010, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by bkelley
I rather get the new Applied one for cheaper than a used ASV. I don't really need an unbreakable lever on a quad. Just need a nice AOF lever.

I like ordering from RMATV because I get my orders in 1-2 days. Looking to get all my stuff before next weekend.

I've got the MSR AOF lever. I've had it for a few years and haven't had any problems with it. I'm still using the stock clutch cable since switching to the MSR lever. Haven't had any problems with rubbing or breaking the cable.

JOHNDOE83
06-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I used a old suzuki brake lever for mine and it works great, no rub on the cable or anything...just figured id throw that out there, you can even put a mirror on it like a motorcycle if you want...lol.

You can find those levers real cheap...lol

guenther
06-27-2010, 03:46 PM
I got the MSR AOF and new 250X cable about 2 months ago and love it. Much easier clutch pull. It had nothing to do with the cable as my OEM was perfectly fine. I just wanted to give myself some slack and run it down the frame rail. Go with the MSR, you won't be sorry.

beags86
06-27-2010, 04:31 PM
even if you go with a motion pro, get it for 250x, its worth it to run it down the frame and not though the header.

bkelley
06-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by beags86
even if you go with a motion pro, get it for 250x, its worth it to run it down the frame and not though the header. Sounds like a good idea. Do you just zip tie it to the frame?

beags86
06-27-2010, 05:32 PM
uhh... i don't know, i need to look, tell ya when i get back from the shop...

beags86
06-27-2010, 05:44 PM
well i didn't use anything, you know that little wire holder thing, that the stock cable runs though, i bent that out a bit. the cable run down though by the stem and it kinds of rests on the fender bracket and then though the wire holder and on to the case bracket.

beags86
06-27-2010, 05:54 PM
something like this would work well here

bkelley
06-27-2010, 05:59 PM
You think you could snap a couple pictures for me? I know what you're talking about I'd just like to see how it looks.

slightlybent47
06-27-2010, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by JOHNDOE83
cut the wires twist em together with some heat shrink and your good to go. it just the two wires that go to the clutch.

Everyone wants to cut the wires and twist them together and that will work but if you just take a small piece of solid wire and shove it in both ends of the female plugs that come from the lever making a jumper.
Then you have the option of putting it back on later and you still have the connecters on the wires.
Also if you do cut them it’s best to use a crimp stile connector to connect them together.
If you just twist them they can come lose and if you solder them it will corrode the wire and short out. If you notice that all auto and motorcycle connections are crimp stile and not soldered and corrosion is why.
AVS levers are nice and thats what i have but there kinda pricy.

JOHNDOE83
06-27-2010, 06:19 PM
Shoot, if you really want to go to the auto parts store and buy a toggle switch and mount it to your plastic somewhere....or hide it.

Then you can turn it off or on when your stopped, so when you go to start your quad in gear it wont jump forward....and keep others from starting your quad when you leave the key in there...like a secret code...lol....key, toggle switch, clutch, then start...lol.

beags86
06-27-2010, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by slightlybent47
...If you just twist them they can come lose and if you solder them it will corrode the wire and short out...

not if you heat shrink it....

plus you know where bkelley lives?? vegas.. i think they get like a whole whopping 4 inchs of rain there a yr.
he could leave them open and it would take 5 yrs to corrode.

beags86
06-27-2010, 06:50 PM
side

beags86
06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
you can see how i left it rest on the fender bracket, i felt like this would be ok since it has some pressure on it since it is a cable, it has never moved on me.

slightlybent47
06-27-2010, 06:59 PM
not if you heat shrink it....

plus you know where bkelley lives?? vegas.. i think they get like a whole whopping 4 inchs of rain there a yr.
he could leave them open and it would take 5 yrs to corrode.

Well you have a point about being in Vegas, but down here that wouldn’t last very long. Of cores there is the washing of the bike that will introduce water into everything so even with heat shrink I don’t think it will last. The heat shrink will trap any moisture and corrode the wires. I have done it both ways and if I solder it, it will always corrode. I think it has something to do with the heat that you put on it, I have found that it’s the wires right by the solder and not the solder that corrode. If you have a problem later then this would be one place to check.

bkelley
06-27-2010, 07:10 PM
I just placed the order for the stuff, I'll figure it out when it gets here. And I already crimped the wires so you guys can stop worrying about that haha.

Thanks for the pictures, beags.

clemsonteg
06-27-2010, 07:36 PM
Thanks for the pics on that cable, isn't that cable holder usually in another place on the bike? What year 250x cable do you need to route it that way?

Ryan'07400ex
06-27-2010, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by 440ex. ehhh!!
okay, frist of all, i have that exact set up on my 01. i have broken 2 cables since march and i am on my 3rd. what happens is right where the cable connects to the lever, it rubs on the lever because there isn't enough space in there, i tried grinding the opening down a bit but it still rubs everytime i pull the clutch. so eventually, the cable will just snap right there :ermm:
but aside from that, the lever feels great.

I have the same setup... did yours start making a popping noise when you pulled in in before it finally snapped?

slightlybent47
06-27-2010, 08:18 PM
I just placed the order for the stuff, I'll figure it out when it gets here. And I already crimped the wires so you guys can stop worrying about that haha.

Thanks for the pictures, beags.

That’s ok I figured you had cut and put them together already but those reading that want to do it to will think about the other options before they do so. Of curse anyone is welcome to do it any way they want, just throwing my 2 cense in.

beags86
06-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by clemsonteg
Thanks for the pics on that cable, isn't that cable holder usually in another place on the bike? What year 250x cable do you need to route it that way?

yeah i guess i forgot to say that, that little cable holder is on the top of the same side motor mount. i moved it down to do what i needed, saved me from, buying/building something,

why bother with it when you don't have to.

i ordered a cable for a 92' 250x

bkelley- no problem

CJM
06-27-2010, 08:54 PM
I have the MSR aof clutch lever and like it alot, no issues at all. Also have the motion pro terminator cable and no issues either. I also flipped the quad really bad one day-the motion pro lever didnt bend, the msr brake lever did.

Oh and to anyone looking/considering it:
Dont buy the motion pro raptor lever, it broke on me where the cable fits in cause its adjustable.

bkelley
06-30-2010, 10:52 PM
Put everything on today. Man, it feels amazing. Looks a lot better than the bulky stock crap, too.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6164/dscf1612l.jpg

beags86
07-01-2010, 06:23 PM
Looks good! Is that lever a ball bearing pivot?
Did you go with a 250x cable or a 400ex cable?

clemsonteg
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Thats actually a good looking lever, I would almost rather that one than my ASV, but part of the reason of getting the ASV was the adjustable reach for the wife.

IRISH-RACER-14
07-01-2010, 07:24 PM
Put everything on today. Man, it feels amazing. Looks a lot better than the bulky stock crap, too.

http://img80.imageshack.us/img80/6164/dscf1612l.jpg

since when do u got trailtechs? they look nice

bkelley
07-01-2010, 09:03 PM
Looks good! Is that lever a ball bearing pivot?
Did you go with a 250x cable or a 400ex cable?
Yeah, it's got a bearing in it. I'm really happy with it, though. Very smooth.

Originally posted by IRISH-RACER-14
since when do u got trailtechs? they look nice I bought them a while ago but just now put them on.

mattn03
07-04-2010, 07:20 PM
With the ASV clutch lever, is there a way to keep the factory neutral/clutch in safety feature?

clemsonteg
07-04-2010, 07:28 PM
Not on mine, I don't believe there is on any of them.

IRISH-RACER-14
07-05-2010, 07:35 PM
are ye talking about the switch that allows u to start in gear?