PDA

View Full Version : Leaded or unleaded

tritty_wall
06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
OK I'm about to pull my hair out trying figure out what race fuel to run in my new ESR 350 PV. My only choice is VP in canada that I can find. I have a Race gas dome and want to run 110 or a little higher octane fuel. Vp have so many different fuels, should I be running leaded or unloaded? oxygenated or non-oxygenated? I've seen on here that some guys run leaded and then somewhere else I seen that it is dirty for your motor? Any help would be great, Thanks

hartwill
06-26-2010, 12:38 PM
all leaded gasoline does is make the fuel burn slower. so if you think you need 110 octane unleaded gas you could go with probably 100 leaded. that is the whole reason to use race gas because lower octane pre ignites under high pressure which causes pinging(knocking). you can also do a search for sunoco race gas and it should bring up a locator. here in the states its about 6-6.50 a gallon opposed to 50-60 for 5 gallons of vp. oh and I don't think leaded really burns dirty.

fearlessfred
06-26-2010, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by hartwill
all leaded gasoline does is make the fuel burn slower. so if you think you need 110 octane unleaded gas you could go with probably 100 leaded. that is the whole reason to use race gas because lower octane pre ignites under high pressure which causes pinging(knocking). you can also do a search for sunoco race gas and it should bring up a locator. here in the states its about 6-6.50 a gallon opposed to 50-60 for 5 gallons of vp. oh and I don't think leaded really burns dirty. octane is octane whether its done with lead or what ever other means . so in my opinion finding the right octane to prevent pinging and detonation .so if your motor runs good and doesnt ping or detonate on 100 octane that is all u need. the prob with some of these fuels is they need an increase in jetting over pump fuel and the attract moisture . lead fuels use to leave deposites on valves and spark plugs and that is prob, were the dirty thing comes in