PDA

View Full Version : broken bolt...HELP!!!

atvracin74
06-26-2010, 12:34 AM
ok so i just got this new bike and i wanted to take off the gas tank and off course as soon as i go to take it off the threads are rounded out... not the actull bolt head but the thread so when i turn it all it does it skip then go right back to where it was at... ive tryed yanking it out with vice grips and i dont want to drill it out considering its a gas tank... please give me some advice on how to get this stupid thing out!

CJM
06-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Could try putting pressure on the tank by lifting it while you try and remove the bolt.

Otherwise gotta grill it out (the head of it at least). You can drain the tank very easily from the valve.

Once you do that you can get the tank off, drill it out totally and have a tap ready to clean up the threads.

hocman123
06-26-2010, 03:33 PM
i don't think there is any gas by the bolts i think thry are just plastic tabs comgin off the tank so u can bolt it

clemsonteg
06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
put a flat head screw driver under the head of the bolt and pry up a little while you try and loosen it.

CJM
06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
Originally posted by hocman123
i don't think there is any gas by the bolts i think thry are just plastic tabs comgin off the tank so u can bolt it

The ones in front we took off that mounts the actual tank to the frame.