PDA

View Full Version : Too big for the LTR?

Canadian144
06-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Hey everyone,

I was out riding today (for the first time in a few weeks, other than going up and down my driveway) and noticed something about my LTR.... it feels small now. I thought I felt too cramped on it... like me knees were sticking up way to high. I am about 6 foot 2, and I guess I must have just had a growth spurt. I just felt like it was harder to handle and control since my legs just seemed to stick up too high, and my knees got sore from that position. I had to frequently stick my legs outwards just to get comfortable. My knees felt pretty sore after riding for about 1.5 hours.

Is it just because I haven't rode in while, or do you think someone can actually be too big for the LTR? When sitting down, I measured from the bottom of my boot to the top of my knee, and it was 2 feet (approx). There was about 5-6 inches between the top of my knees and the seat. I will try to get picture tomorrow with what I'm trying to say... like with a tape measure held up to my legs. Is there anything I can really do in this situation? The only thing I can think of is shaving a bit of the bottom of my Tech 3's so I sit a little lower. Does any company make a "low" peg that is sunken down a bit?

Other than that.... I might have to get rid of the LTR and get something that has more distance between the pegs and the top of the seat. It make me really sad to think about possibly getting rid of the LTR... I mean I LOVE this thing, I've invested so much money, time, blood, sweat, and tears into it, I don't think I could ever git rid of it. I was honestly planning to keep it for the rest of my life... 20 years from now I could look at it and remember all the good times I've had with it. It seems that life has other plans for me.

I'd love to make the LTR work... and keep it... but you have to do what you have to do.

Again, maybe it's just because I haven't rode in a while. But the last time I rode, I definitely do not remember my knees being this sore.

Does anyone have any measurements for the distance between the seat and the pegs for other 450s? So far the only quads that come to mind are the DS450X XC, KFX450, YFZ450X, and 450XC/525XC.

k4f5x0r
06-25-2010, 09:53 PM
Go for a bigger seat. +1 or maybe +2 hump seat would help your issues a bit.

LTR has quite a low seat as well as all the other 450's IMO

Canadian144
06-25-2010, 10:13 PM
Right, I forgot about seat covers haha.

I just checked Quad Tech's website, they have their Desert seat, which is supposedly a +2" over the stock LTR's seat height.

They are very pricey though... $185 for just the seat kit, or $375 for the seat cover + foam + stock seat base, all assembled. I'll try to look for a used one I think.

I think tomorrow we are going to go to this local place that sells lawnmower parts (one of our riding mowers needs a part), and I just realized that they are also a Can-Am dealership. If they have a DS450X I will sit on it just to compare.

06-25-2010, 10:21 PM
6'4" here and thats why I love the TRX. Sure it may not be the fastest best handling stock 450 but for being taller I love the egros on it.

Bigkyle111
06-25-2010, 10:32 PM
hey man i feel ya. im 6'3 and i ride a ltr. it may be from not riding in awhile i recently broke my wrist and jus got back on, the first ride was rough, i thought my back and hips would pop out. but you get loosened up after a bit

Canadian144
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
Yeah, hopefully I can put another hour or so on it tomorrow.

If not I'll have to decide between the seat cover (and high bend bars, longer throttle cable, and longer clutch cables) or a new quad.

There's quite a few leftover KTMs and Can-Ams in my area.... if I decide to trade the LTR in, those will probably be what I end up with.

bbender85
06-25-2010, 11:25 PM
Is it just because I haven't rode in while, or do you think someone can actually be too big for the LTR?

dustin wimmer is 6'4"... seems to work for him!

i sat on a DS and didn't like the way it felt at all. i am 6'3". i have heard before the post above that the hondas ergonomically are best for tall riders too.

but yeah, get those bars up, you'll be surprised the difference an inch or two makes.

06-26-2010, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by bbender85
you'll be surprised the difference an inch or two makes.

LMFAO!!!

quadbod
06-26-2010, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by FlewByU352
6'4" here and thats why I love the TRX. Sure it may not be the fastest best handling stock 450 but for being taller I love the egros on it.

Whats an egros? :confused: :confused:

06-26-2010, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by quadbod
Whats an egros? :confused: :confused:

thats the chinese american way to say egg rolls :chinese: switch the g and the r

06-26-2010, 01:34 AM
thats the chinese american way to say egg rolls :chinese: switch the g and the r

LMFAO. Oh my jesus. I'm rolling right now.

But I still don't like you.

usp4u
06-26-2010, 02:47 AM
LMFAO!!!
"That's what she said."--someone had to do it.

DO NOT MESS with seat height before you try a higher bar hieght. PERIOD. Raise the seat, raise the center of gravity/loose corner satbility. I have a long standing rule of change everything you need to be comfortable, EXCEPT anything that will sacrifice corner speed or stability. Try a +1/+2 stem, bar risers first and give it a REAL shot before a taller seat.

I'm 5'11" and my last quad before my bike was a Walsh 250R style hybrid, with a +1 stem and CR HI bars that thing felt like it it was built for me personally. Point is, if you feel cramped, play with it. I've put CR Hi bars on everything I own for the last 12 years, but sometimes a taller stem helps too. Remember, you are on a quad and you're goal shouls be to keep EVERYTHING as low as possible for cornering purposes. A taller seat is okay IF you actually need it, most people dont, they just dont experiement enough.

reconmaster
06-26-2010, 07:22 AM
rox speed fx anti vibe risers will help and save you the cost of a complete steering stem. i'm 6'1 and i found risers, flexx bars and a thicker seat helped alot mind you i also have a thicker seat to avoid pressure sores

ZBlaster
06-26-2010, 09:29 AM
I'm a little over 6' and I made custom mounts to lower my pegs 1/2", ran a thicker seat (such as a Quadtech desert seat), and ran Rox risers set to raise the bars about an inch the rest toward the front along with some 15* Flexx bars. Quad looks kinda goofy when no one was on it, but it was by far the most comfortable quad I've ridden.

SilverBomb
06-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Yep the only way to go when you're tall is get as much rise out of the handlebars as possible. Get a bar riser kit and some high bend bars and it will be a ton better. I'm 6'6" so I have to do it on anything I ride.

hondariderdylan
06-26-2010, 02:05 PM
try being 6'2 and not being able to afford a 450:ermm:

06-26-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by hondariderdylan
try being 6'2 and not being able to afford a 450:ermm:

Its not hard at all to be able to afford a 450r lol A simple minimum wage job or mowing lawns will easily get you there. Now modding it with high quality parts is a whole other tax bracket lol

Canadian144
06-26-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by usp4u
"That's what she said."--someone had to do it.

DO NOT MESS with seat height before you try a higher bar hieght. PERIOD. Raise the seat, raise the center of gravity/loose corner satbility. I have a long standing rule of change everything you need to be comfortable, EXCEPT anything that will sacrifice corner speed or stability. Try a +1/+2 stem, bar risers first and give it a REAL shot before a taller seat.

I'm 5'11" and my last quad before my bike was a Walsh 250R style hybrid, with a +1 stem and CR HI bars that thing felt like it it was built for me personally. Point is, if you feel cramped, play with it. I've put CR Hi bars on everything I own for the last 12 years, but sometimes a taller stem helps too. Remember, you are on a quad and you're goal shouls be to keep EVERYTHING as low as possible for cornering purposes. A taller seat is okay IF you actually need it, most people dont, they just dont experiement enough.

Currently, I have a trail tech dashboard/clamp (which is pretty tall) as well as Protaper Mid bend bars. Any taller, and I'd have to go to longer throttle and clutch cables. The throttle pulls itself a little when I've turned the bars a fully right or fully left. My upperbody is comfortable right now, it's just my legs that aren't.

This what my clamp looks like (I also have a computer, but it's a different one from the one pictured)

http://www.quadpost.eu/img.asp?img=foto/022L-S450F.jpg

What you say about changing the center of gravity makes sense, I was thinking the same thing earlier today, so I'm kinda hesitant to do that.

Originally posted by ZBlaster
I'm a little over 6' and I made custom mounts to lower my pegs 1/2", ran a thicker seat (such as a Quadtech desert seat), and ran Rox risers set to raise the bars about an inch the rest toward the front along with some 15* Flexx bars. Quad looks kinda goofy when no one was on it, but it was by far the most comfortable quad I've ridden.

Any pics? Especially of the custom mounts for the pegs?

So right now I pretty much have 3 options that I can think of:

1) Get another quad (try sitting on the KFX450, YFZ450X, DS450X xc, and 450/525XC first). Will probably cost $2000-$3000, depending on year.

2) Buy a hump or desert seat for $375. Then, since my lower body will be up higher, I'll have to adjust everything else so that my upper body isn't uncomfortable - so taller bars, and new throttle/clutch cables. In total it will be like $500 or more. But on the downside, the center of gravity will be higher, and it just won't ride the same anymore.

3) Look for different nerfs. I think that my Pro Armor Fatpeg nerfs/pegs might be one of the higher-positioned pegs.

Option 3 seems to be the best way to go right now.... it's the cheapest and if it doesn't work out and I end up getting another quad, I can always sell the new nerfs/pegs I buy.

Does anyone know of any "lowered" pegs/nerfs that one could buy?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys!

ZBlaster
06-27-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Canadian144
Currently, I have a trail tech dashboard/clamp (which is pretty tall) as well as Protaper Mid bend bars. Any taller, and I'd have to go to longer throttle and clutch cables. The throttle pulls itself a little when I've turned the bars a fully right or fully left. My upperbody is comfortable right now, it's just my legs that aren't.

This what my clamp looks like (I also have a computer, but it's a different one from the one pictured)

http://www.quadpost.eu/img.asp?img=foto/022L-S450F.jpg

What you say about changing the center of gravity makes sense, I was thinking the same thing earlier today, so I'm kinda hesitant to do that.

Any pics? Especially of the custom mounts for the pegs?

So right now I pretty much have 3 options that I can think of:

1) Get another quad (try sitting on the KFX450, YFZ450X, DS450X xc, and 450/525XC first). Will probably cost $2000-$3000, depending on year.

2) Buy a hump or desert seat for $375. Then, since my lower body will be up higher, I'll have to adjust everything else so that my upper body isn't uncomfortable - so taller bars, and new throttle/clutch cables. In total it will be like $500 or more. But on the downside, the center of gravity will be higher, and it just won't ride the same anymore.

3) Look for different nerfs. I think that my Pro Armor Fatpeg nerfs/pegs might be one of the higher-positioned pegs.

Option 3 seems to be the best way to go right now.... it's the cheapest and if it doesn't work out and I end up getting another quad, I can always sell the new nerfs/pegs I buy.

Does anyone know of any "lowered" pegs/nerfs that one could buy?

Thanks for all the help/suggestions guys!

This is the best I got, all I did was make new peg brackets to work with my UM nerfs, had to move it forward slightly as well to allow it to all line up.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v424/EX075/IMG_0288.jpg