PDA

View Full Version : What upgrades to do

micbarringer
06-25-2010, 09:42 PM
I just bought a 2007 drx 50. I am new to the quad end of racing daughter is coming from dirt bikes. She is 4 and 33 pounds. She is a throttle junkie. What are some of the first mods i should do. Also where is a good site to get parts. There is no shops around my way that work on these bike that i know of let alone buy parts from. Thanks for any help

rebuiltoz
06-25-2010, 11:59 PM
give gary at gforcepowersports a call. really knows his stuff and top notch service.
depending if you plan on racing mx or trail riding what mods to make. me myself suspension was the best upgrade for my son.....then motor. good luck

jerkyboy
06-26-2010, 12:46 AM
If your going to race it you might want to check the rules for your local seires or tracks.

Logan #34's Dad
06-26-2010, 05:16 AM
The very 1st thing you should do is gusset your frame. Then suspension then engine. imho.

Coley'sdad#8
06-26-2010, 06:08 AM
Rocky, you forgot to tell him he was going to have to get a 2nd job to keep up with this sport:D Just go ahead and get about 10k put aside for your daughters little 4 wheeler:eek2:

THARNESS
06-26-2010, 08:08 AM
Then you can't leave a 10k quad out in the elements, so you buy an inclosed trailer. Then you buy a truck because the suv don't pull the trailer too good. Then she starts winning. You start racing alot and traveling and so you buy a motorhome. Someone suggest that you try a national. you get the fever. Now you want her to race two classes so you build another 10k quad. Now you need a bigger trailer. Well guess what, your motorhome dosen't pull the big trailer very well so you go and buy a totorhome. You spend every free minute and every spare dollar on this sport and many times question your own sanity.

I think I may need therapy.

But yea, suspension first if your racing.

Logan #34's Dad
06-26-2010, 08:54 AM
AIN'T THAT THE TRUTH!!!
Everything THARNESS has said is SOOOOO right. All for a lil trophy at the end of the year. We all need help.

selbygirl
06-26-2010, 09:33 AM
protection chest guard neck brace a good light helmet and suspension and a 2nd morgage my wife wants me to look in to a 12 step program to get out of racing just joking my wife loves racing also take care tommy

micbarringer
06-26-2010, 09:42 AM
Hey guys we already are into racing. She races bikes she also want to race quads. The way it is looking suspension first. I was thinkin motor 4 and not really getting air a lot of flat track on the quad some mx but noting serious. Any new thoughts or still think suspension. Thanks again for some advice.

selbygirl
06-26-2010, 10:15 AM
my 8 year old sed the best thing i did for the bike was his shocks we have stock bike also he hates it he sed the suspension is bad he wont even ride it and if you start jumping look into getting a good axle they brake and if your landing on the gas a good slipper sprocket so you dont blow up your tranny and check the frame under the seat for cracks and a square tube swing arm the round tube bends easly and he liked the pipe i put on the bike it gave him more hps seya tommy

fomospede
06-26-2010, 10:34 AM
cmon guys we all really know that we just want are kids to have it better than we did growing up! but honestly its the toughest learning curve ! and money can be wasted quickly . imo remove the wiring harness , install a good tether ,put the right springs on the stock clutch including torque spring and roller weights and start saving for shocks if class allowed do the back one first !if she is a jumper gusset it immediatley and the gussets are way cheaper on ebay

greenmachine70
06-26-2010, 08:03 PM
gussets are cheaper if you go to your local steel supply yard and buy a square foot of 1/8 or 3/16 steel and use a small tri square and a 4.5" angle grinder and a metal cut wheel.
You can make as many as you can find a place for for under $20
Look at Quadfather+2's pics, he gusseted a frame that wont break.
I just copied his and it seems to be SOLID!!

RCR_531
06-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Where are you guys racing at? I am a couple hours north of you and we are alway looking for places to go.

micbarringer
06-27-2010, 07:40 AM
There is B.E.T in Belleville, Splinter Creek in Alton. Duguion has in door.

fomospede
06-27-2010, 08:51 AM
we race the iowa outlaw series and also WFO series in mid il. both xc ,i have been thinking about heading over and letting him do some MI. moto's look like good competition!

RCR_531
06-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Sorry to take this post off course but with having a 5yr old racing in IL it is hard to find places that will let him race. I like how the DuQuoin, IL indoor looks, we will come down for sure this fall and winter. I also plan to go to Summit in OH and some Florida events this winter too. I see B.E.T has the same turn out that we have at Byron in the 50cc class. Thanks for the tracks to look into.

micbarringer
06-28-2010, 06:57 AM
Yeah i hear u my daughter is about to be 5 in the quads there are no other racers that young. But on bikes there is a bounch. Did u check out splinter creek. Greenville, Kentucky. They have in door too. There is one in springfield,il also never been there but have heard people talk about it.

Coley'sdad#8
06-28-2010, 07:20 AM
without a doubt, stickers and chrome bring the trophies home:D

#404's Dad
06-28-2010, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by micbarringer
Hey guys we already are into racing. She races bikes she also want to race quads. The way it is looking suspension first. I was thinkin motor 4 and not really getting air a lot of flat track on the quad some mx but noting serious. Any new thoughts or still think suspension. Thanks again for some advice.

Flat Track huh, what class and rule limitations?

micbarringer
06-28-2010, 08:39 AM
Not really sure lookin at rules today but it will be 50cc. I know on the dirt bike it is 4-6 year olds 50cc stock. Just coming to quads. I see these quads and they are not stock for sure so am sure u can do stuff to them. But the rules are different then bikes i know just dont want her to get smoked she does mx to on bikes want to on quads but start her out on flat track first.