PDA

View Full Version : what to all take?

woodsracer144
06-25-2010, 10:48 AM
so i have a dyno appt set up, what should i all take when i run it? sprockets? chain? spark plugs? jets? any thing else?

first time im runnin on the dyno.

thanks

machwon
06-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Ask the guy you are taking it to. If he can't tell you you are getting hosed. Jetting is very important, but if your dyno guy can't give you any suggestions, how good of a tuner is he?

woodsracer144
06-25-2010, 09:17 PM
i forgot to ask him, but im gonna do all the jetting my self they are gonna tell me what to put in it though... but i didnt know if gearing made a diff on the dyno or not, i talked with them and it said it tells you your speed so if that matters to you then yeah it will make a diff...

witech
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
in general i take a jump start pack if there wil be a lot of runs,extra plug, impact and sockets for changing to dyno tires ,air guage to equalize tire size,for sure make sure to wash the quad spotless. Dumping dirt and mud on the dyno room floor may get you kicked out. Make sure you dont have leaks in the exhaust for correct afr readings. I personally remove the plastics so its not in the way of straping it down and doing any kind of work on the machine. Dyno time is money and every second you waste messing around adds up quick.

For actual dynoing a pad and paper to record changes and results and the all important blank discs or usb drive to get the ALL the data from the sesson to take home. You paid for it and you own that data. Just getting a printout of a single run is pretty much useless if you want to study and modify the engine to the power characteristics you will want for the next sesson.

machwon
06-27-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
i forgot to ask him, but im gonna do all the jetting my self they are gonna tell me what to put in it though... but i didnt know if gearing made a diff on the dyno or not, i talked with them and it said it tells you your speed so if that matters to you then yeah it will make a diff...

Don't concentrate on gearing, but make sure every run is done consistently after each change. Your dyno guy is looking to rob your wallet if he wants to show you the mph change after each time you switch a sprocket. Make sure everything on the quad is in tip top shape, don't take something thats going to break down. Exhausts usually make the big differences, timing advances and jetting are the easier changes.

witech
06-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Gearing doesnt mean anything. nor does looking at a wheel speed chart. To get real studiable results you need a tach signal so it can calculate the torque curve. When looking at the graph you want a horsepower and torque curve running on the engine rpm scale. I like to dyno in a higher gear such as 4th or 5th to give the dyno more time to spool up and collect more data points.
It seems a lot of dyno places have operators that are either new to the equiptment or have not been trained properly.
Questions you need to ask are when the last time the dyno has been calibrated and software updated,have they run a 2 stroke before your quad and cleaned the afr filters.

One other thing is bring a good set of earmuffs and safety glasses if they let you in the dyno room to do you own tuning. Warm up the engine with a few good pulls . i recomend running at least 3 runs in succsesion to make sure the readings are stable run to run so you can adjust fuel and timing .

woodsracer144
06-27-2010, 07:30 PM
ok first exhaust-

how do you get a tight seal on the LRD adjustable exhaust? i dont want to use RTV cause i want to be able to adjust it, also with where it mounts on the cyl, what type of a putty could i use to seal it tight and still be able to take it off?

dyno shop its self, i trust in them and im gettin a deal on it, im not going to say what its costing me and stuff cause im doing a few things, 1) trying 2 different carbs, a lectron 40mm on E85 and then a 35 PWK on C12, or some sort of 110.
2) im going to adjust the exhaust and see how much it really does.

their base package is like 80 bucks and thats 3 runs. but i got a deal worked out cause i know some people. not trying to brag or rub it in your faces or be rude, i just have alot of trust in this place and the guy running the dyno.

witech
06-27-2010, 08:19 PM
If they are literally charging by the run then I would just find another shop or make a deal by the hour or you will just be wasting your time and money. Charging by the run is a scam in which they do as little work as possible and get you in and out fast without even scratching the surface of the dozens of tuning changes required to get the best results.
Although I run efi quads my average session is between 25 and 50 runs which takes about 1 to 2 hours to get max power squeezed out of every part of the power band. Adjusting fuel /timing in several steps high and low then settling on a sweet spot is impossible with just a few runs.
To just have 3 runs you mind as well stay home and tune by the seat of your pants and plug checks.
Most of the dyno shops I have been to were negotiated down to about $50 to $60 per hour because I ran the dynos myself. If I let their guys run it and I just worked the tuner it was about $70 per hour. It also helps if your bringin more than one quad in the negotiation.

machwon
06-30-2010, 09:37 PM
Like Witech said, 3 runs is just going to tell you where you started. Even getting 25 runs in an hour is too aggressive. When i totally go through a tuning session I really like to spend about 4 hours with an ATV. If its a set up I've done before, its usually shorter. I had one customer one bring a TRX500R with 5 different pipes, 2 carbs, 3 intakes and with timing/ignition changes, a couple head mods, fuel switching, it was easily an 8-9 hour day. You would do good by listening to Witech as he's telling you straight up. I also own a dyno. I only charge $50/hr but I usually expect the atv owner to do all the wrenching, I just run the ATV on the dyno. I also tend to give preference on the availability, price, etc., to those who have their motors done by me. Sounds like its your first time. Bring lots of options to change and hopefully your dyno guy guides you efficiently. Otherwise you may want to make this a short session and regroup for the next trip after you know what to expect.

witech
06-30-2010, 10:01 PM
I usually butter up the dyno shop as well by buying parts from them or maybe getting lunch ice /cream for the crew if its going to be an all day project. Lord knows it must be annoying to work with the dyno running hundreds of runs all day long. Especially when we get going with the tune on the fly devices like power commanders and dobecks.
As far as spending hundreds of dollars for a good correct tuning session its the best money you will ever spend. Ive seen countless times guys blowing thousands of $ on mods and parts only to get beat by a budget build that was properly tuned. The biggest gain in power we had was well over 10 horse from start to finish. And that quad ran pretty good before we dynoed it. The smallest gain was just a horse because I had already set the engine up just like an identicle engine we had previously dynoed.

woodsracer144
06-30-2010, 11:03 PM
im not sure how it will all go down, all i know is this is on my exgf's gramps free/ side time and hes sayn its his quad. so we'll see how it goes...

twincat800
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
My personal experience on the dyno first time. Fresh oil, plug, oil filter, and air filter. Cleaned the chain very good, all that before the dyno. Luckily i had the right jet in it and only had to move the needle one clip. This cost me 70-80 (for an hours worth) i cant remember. But it took me around 45min. so I made more runs. Was a nice/newer dyno, they had tools for me to do whatever i had to do, had nice/newer tires. Very happy with my numbers as well with the guy i took it to, was not a shop.

twincat800
07-09-2010, 10:29 PM
Im not much into 2-strokes but if thats what your running with the E85 you posted before, make sure you show some numbers, im curious!

woodsracer144
07-09-2010, 11:33 PM
well i didnt try e85, I didnt have parts for my carb and i ran in to spark problems with the igintion so i didnt get to run it much...

i got the parts for e 85 today but i need to save some money to run it again...

twincat800
07-10-2010, 08:52 AM
Oh I see, goodluck

machwon
07-10-2010, 11:43 AM
So, it was like 30 HP? What torque did you get?

woodsracer144
07-10-2010, 08:35 PM
i ran in to some problems with the flywheel liking to shear the key and it wasnt running right, i only got one half way one done and it was at 13 hp! i think it was like 3rd gear. really rich!