PDA

View Full Version : engine break in TIPS...

jcs003
06-25-2010, 02:08 AM
any tips on engine break in?

i know the standard way and read the STICKY. i am just interested in some of the things you guys do.

example: cranking it with wd-40

heating and cooling methods(people tend to have different methods)

thanks.

Ruf Racing
06-25-2010, 07:38 AM
Originally posted by jcs003
example: cranking it with wd-40

What? :confused: :ermm:

jcs003
06-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing

i seen it in a thread for big bore cylinders. kicking it with wd-40 sprayed through the plug hole. maybe i misinterperted it.

89rwfo
06-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Ruf Racing

LMAO

265 sleeper
06-25-2010, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by 89rwfo
LMAO

X-2 maybe as a lube but not for break in

I use the oil that I run in my bike when assembling my top end for a lube so you are not dry starting the motor
Ill spray the motor down with wd-40 so nothing will rust after I go to the dunes or if I let it sit up

jcs003
06-25-2010, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
X-2 maybe as a lube but not for break in

I use the oil that I run in my bike when assembling my top end for a lube so you are not dry starting the motor
Ill spray the motor down with wd-40 so nothing will rust after I go to the dunes or if I let it sit up

nevermind. you dont understand what i mean. it was a suggestion from an engine builder to do this before initial start up. save the insults for your girlfriend.

fearlessfred
06-25-2010, 03:20 PM
i just wanted to say , i dont believe the motomans way of breakin is the way to go on a two stroke.but at the same time i dont believe in babying it to much either, i start off letting it run and varying engine speed until hot to the touch,then cool down . then ride until hot to the touch and so on and so on ( typicial ) my reasoning for thinking is that a two stroke builds heat builds so much much faster than a four stroke,and i dont believe that glazing the cylinder before ring breakin is an issue. this is only my theory, and have no facts to back it up, other than my motors would run stong for a years riding every weekend

265 sleeper
06-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by jcs003
nevermind. you dont understand what i mean. it was a suggestion from an engine builder to do this before initial start up. save the insults for your girlfriend. I'm not trying to insult you just saying its not a good Idea but to use the oil you run in your bike not a spray lube your thread title is breakin tips sorry that wd goes against your thread title

jcs003
06-25-2010, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by 265 sleeper
I'm not trying to insult you just saying its not a good Idea but to use the oil you run in your bike not a spray lube your thread title is breakin tips sorry that wd goes against your thread title

well the preperations for initial start-up are important someone will understand my reference to the wd-40. i didnt create it to invoke mockery. im here to entertain opinion and gain knowledge. not to be insulted.

C-LEIGH RACING
06-25-2010, 06:21 PM
Go to the CT Racing site & print off a copy of Allens break in.
He's had his hands on many 250Rs over the years just like Curtis has & I would stand behind his break in sheet many times over.

Understanding what your doing, during engine break in time, is just as important as doing it right each time, so read the instructions well so you'll know what it does.

I'm not being short with you, just leading you the right way, because a TRX250R not just any ol 4 wheeler, its history & fine art of the past & worth being well taken care of.
Neil

1promodfan
06-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
Go to the CT Racing site & print off a copy of Allens break in.
He's had his hands on many 250Rs over the years just like Curtis has & I would stand behind his break in sheet many times over.

Understanding what your doing, during engine break in time, is just as important as doing it right each time, so read the instructions well so you'll know what it does.

I'm not being short with you, just leading you the right way, because a TRX250R not just any ol 4 wheeler, its history & fine art of the past & worth being well taken care of.
Neil

Well spoken from a man that knows.^^^^^^^^ Thats the procedure I used to break mine in. I went to the CT website printed off a copy of the break-in and thats what I went by.

derby
06-25-2010, 08:50 PM
I remember back in the day when Allen at CT told me to break the motor in on WD-40. I thought he was crazy but I did it any way. Probably faster seat time on the rings and generates a little more heat on the piston when first started. Or you can coat you piston and cylinder with a synthetic or castor oil and it wont seat until you get the first 20-25hrs on the bike. How long do you want to spend breaking it in?

All250R
06-26-2010, 01:14 PM
Break-in is also about the piston fitting to the bore through thermal cycling.

bobizzle
06-26-2010, 11:47 PM
i have never herd of wd as a break in lube. i herd of using 2 stroke oil to lube sleeve before dropping in piston, and adding a little extra in the head before start up. less than a cap full to make sure cylinder and rings are lubed. you may wanna check out red racing. he is an excellent engine builder, and has helped me with many questions over the phone. the break in page is http://www.sacoriver.net/~red/breakin.html

also, you can go to http://www.sacoriver.net/~red/index.html and scroll down till you see technical information, there you can read articles pertaining to many different technical questions you may have.

i will call him mon about the wd use and see what he has herd or hasnt herd about doing this.