PDA

View Full Version : question about secondary oil cooler

coaltrain444
06-24-2010, 09:24 PM
just curious if you guys think a secondary oil cooler(something like a 6x10 cooler) if it would restrict pressure or volume enough to effect an engine. thanks

JOHNDOE83
06-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I wouldnt run both even though others have, I would swap the stock for the larger one, just in case the pump fails do to overworking.

gt400ex
06-25-2010, 02:06 AM
Ive been running an added on cooler for awhile and have had no issues with it. If anything it should help the engine live longer with keeping it cooler.

JOHNDOE83
06-25-2010, 09:42 AM
It will deffinetly keep the motor cooler and make it last longer, my issue was with overworking the oil pump, it now has to work harder to flow the oil through 2 oil coolers and an extra set of lines.

for my turbo project, instead of tapping into the 400ex oil lines to oil the turbo, I made a secondary oil system for the turbo.

If the oil pump gets over worked and fails for any reason, you wont know till your motor seizes, I would also think that the oil pressure isnt as great after running through 2 oil coolers.

I could be wrong this is just my theory....but it makes alot of sense.

gt400ex
06-26-2010, 02:39 AM
I understand where your coming from. I was also wondering when I went to do my install how much more taxing on parts it would be. The oil cooler or coolers are on the return side of the system so the pump shouldnt have to make any more pressure but would have to flow a little more. I do wish they had an oil pressure gauge or light on quads. Do you have any pics of the secondary oil system? I would like to see that.

JOHNDOE83
06-26-2010, 10:40 AM
its in my 400ex going turbo....on a budget thread.

if you look throuh the pics youll see a oil cooler with spal fan, a whitish oil tank, and some lines running to the tank, cooler, turbo.

The oil pump is mounted under the cooler, pics arent that great and not very detailed but if you look hard its all there.

jasonwayne222
06-26-2010, 10:59 AM
I added another stock oil cooler to mine. it has been working just fine with both of them installed. people have been running larger oil coolers for a while, there is no problem with it. Ive even seen a guy buy a new civic trans. cooler he used as hisoil cooler with no problems, I beleive some of u maybe a bit confused on the basic principles of fluids and pumps, but basically dude it will be fine I wouldnt worry about the pump going out its not like ur runnin a turbo on it

JOHNDOE83
06-26-2010, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by jasonwayne222
I added another stock oil cooler to mine. it has been working just fine with both of them installed. people have been running larger oil coolers for a while, there is no problem with it. Ive even seen a guy buy a new civic trans. cooler he used as hisoil cooler with no problems, I beleive some of u maybe a bit confused on the basic principles of fluids and pumps, but basically dude it will be fine I wouldnt worry about the pump going out its not like ur runnin a turbo on it

Thats not what im saying...

if you run 2 coolers, it might and probally will cause a unseen problem.

im not telling him or anyone else not to, im saying be carefull, id only use the larger one....not both, you dont even need 2 coolers, I have a 440 with 1 stock cooler and NO heat issues.

A larger cooler IS a good idea not 2, its unnesescary and a overkill.

And the basic principles of fluids and pumps??? The further the fluid travels....the more pressure it loses and the pump works harder.

JOHNDOE83
06-26-2010, 04:55 PM
This thread is awesome http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=384244&highlight=cooler

the guy did a great job, it looks great and works great also. I also bought this same cooler for my homemade oil system.

but look at the extra travel the oil has to make, think about your oil lines and oil cooler, now think about how long it will be if it was straight...stock would be close to 3 ft or more for the oil to travel. Maybe over 4ft with the stock setup.

now look at this thread and imagine if you stretched it out with this second oil cooler, the oil would have to travel over 5ft maybe over 6ft just to get back in the motor.

it looks great probally serves its purpose, but "WILL" be harder on the motor and pump.

jasonwayne222
06-27-2010, 08:15 PM
its a gear driven mechanical pump with metal vanes, tell me how its working any harder, its goinna spin at the same rpms, its gonna do the same work no matter if u add another two feet of travel. Its not like its an electrical motor spinning the pump, once the system is primed the pump knows no difference, I can see it dropping the flow of oil a bit but not dropping the pressure, I havent had any issues and if U really wanted to find out just tap in an oil pressure gauge, check the pressure before and after you add the cooler and You will know for sure whats goin on, Im not that concerned with it tho.

TRXRacer1
06-27-2010, 08:53 PM
Listen to the other guys jay, they are correct. The only questions are whether or not the pump will mind the extra work (it will be working harder) and what kind of volume drop will occur with the added friction loss. Mechanical or electric has nothing to do with it.

F-16Guy
06-28-2010, 12:29 PM
I've always been a believer in the FST style secondary cooler. It's a little bit more work to install, but I think it's worth the extra effort. It picks up the oil from the case near the oil filter, routes it through the cooler, and then dumps it directly into the cam cover. The two main advantages are that you bypass the oil passage in the side of the cylinder that routes the oil through one of the hottest part of the engine, and that the cooled oil is delivered directly to valve train. The combination of those two things should allow you to use a smaller secondary cooler. You can get the cooler kit, Perma-Cool p/n 1008, through summitracing.com. I have it and it works great. Any decent local machinist should be able to drill and tap the cam cover and clutch cover for the fittings, or you can try it yourself if you have the tools and ability. There are detailed instructions floating around the net that tell you where to drill and tap, and how to block off the OEM passage with the included check ball.