PDA

View Full Version : 400EX Running Poorly

Desert400EX
02-02-2003, 02:00 PM
Ok, havent riden in nearly 3 weeks. Ran GREAT last time.

Now, wont start/idle or run with any choke on. Kinda runs up till mid throttle (but only under slow acceleration) then sputter and dies out at anything over 1/2 throttle or hard accel.

I have a K&N Filter, a 42 with a 165, and the clip is on the middle, aka 3rd down.

Fuel should be fine, at a month old (used older before) and I've been running pretty much just premium pump fuel.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thanks!

--Phillip

Colby@C&DRacing
02-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Sounds like a little water in the bottom of your carb. Drain the bowl and then try it again. Let me know.:)

Desert400EX
02-02-2003, 03:30 PM
Water would be quite the unlikely cause in that I live in the middle of the desert and the quad hasn't seen water yet, except for a wash that it got maybe 6 months ago. :confused:

What I've done so far is...
1) Pull the filter (still spotless) and air box.
2) Pull teh carb which BTW was soaking wet w/gas on the intake side.
3) Pulled the needle, verified that the clip was inplace and installed the washer on top of it that I had appearantly forgetton to install.
4) Checked kit to verify that I have a 165 installed, and am currently considering a 160. But it ran SO well with the 165 that I dare not swap it.

I have NOT check the plug because it appears that it is going to be a bear to check.

Desert400EX
02-02-2003, 03:37 PM
I'm thinking that so some ODD reason it flooded and I never gave it a chace to run better because I just kept trying to rev it, and it's about 60* outside right now, FYI.

What I'm considering is re assembling it, and trying again now that I have fixed teh 1 known issue ( the washer) and it was rather wet/flooded indeed. So maybe after having aired out it will run again. :confused:

Not being a mechanic... With it WAY flooded like it appears, would that explain why it wouldn't run with any choke at all?

trailburner
02-02-2003, 03:40 PM
If it's dying from half throttle on mabe the main jet is pluged???take the big nut off the bottom of the carb, main jet is right there, take it out & see if you can see through it????good luck!!

Desert400EX
02-02-2003, 05:36 PM
What about spark plug? I havent even checked it yet because I have no idea what to buy to replace it, nor do I have a clue as to even how to get to it, I do know it looks like a pain!

Does anyone know off hand if's it a std plug, or which one it is so that I can go to Wallmart and get one?

Thanks!

--Phillip

(Off to check the main :( )

Quadfather
02-02-2003, 06:05 PM
The water in the gas is from condensation, not from blazing through streams, or wet conditions.

jerry-89-250R
02-02-2003, 06:05 PM
plug- DPRZ8 "NGK", could be your problem, is your filter clean, mine has done that a couple times due to dirt getting in carb, Used too run without air box, plug gap- , .024-.028

jerry-89-250R
02-02-2003, 06:10 PM
i left the Z off the plug DPR8Z

Desert400EX
02-02-2003, 06:55 PM
Thanks for all the help! I haven't got the tool for the plug, so it's on my list to aquire on Tuesday when the steeler re-opens from the weekend.

I do believe I found the problem however. I pulled the bottom of the carb off to check to see if the main was plugged, but it wasn't, it was off all together:eek:

I reassembled everything, and now I wait till tomarrow night after work, so we shall see.

Thanks for all the help!

--Phillip

hawiianpwr
02-03-2003, 06:28 PM
Do you have an inline fuel filter? If you do check it and if you dont get one. I had the same kinda problem. I would take the time and deep clean your carb. Take it off the quad and disassemble the whole carb and blow through every hole that you can with compressed air or carb cleaner.
hope this helps

2001 trx400ex
02-03-2003, 08:12 PM
try the float in the carb it maybe stuck, do a thuro cleaning of the carb

optikid123
02-03-2003, 08:27 PM
you should invest in a manual, best $20 i have ever spent on my bike

Newbie400ex
02-03-2003, 08:54 PM
Because of your inexperience with this sort of thing I think you should take it to the dealer and have them fix it. I will save you a lot of headaches in the future if not save you cash.:)

400ex99
02-04-2003, 12:18 AM
thanks for explaining the h20 situation to him Quadfather...
if the main was off, then im sure that was the problem.
learn to change the spark plug first before you tackle something else.:D