PDA

View Full Version : starter clutch

ifixtheyride
06-24-2010, 12:52 PM
I just put together my kfx400, new crank bearings, connecting rod, piston and the head done over. Ran maybe 1 to 2 hours and pulled over for something and went to restart the starter turned but motor didn't. Took clutch cover off to check timing chain sproket it's good pulled other side off and found every bolt sheared off flywheel to bearing mount and pretty much tore up generator coils. I tore apart expecting one way bearing to be bad but it is not no signs of catching nothing. What happened? I thought maybe one of the bolts came out and wedged in there some how jamming it but they all were sheared right off that had to be some torque to cause it. I did not take that assembly apart during rebuild I imagine the dealer who put crank bearings in at least popped the flywheel off as a whole assembly. Any ideas i hate to put new in and have it happen again?

2003 KFX400
Athena Big Bore
DRZ kit w/Kibblewhites
Sparks exhaust
39mm FCR carb
Ishock front end
Elka shocks
hauser swinger
G force axel
ASV levers
Renthel Fat Bars

sd1
06-24-2010, 03:44 PM
sounds to me like the dealer who did the flywheel forgot to torque and loctite the bolts....major fail!.... I would not take it there again ...just my 2 cents....here is an article on stator replacement so you can do it your self next time and use the money you spent there on a stroker crank :D Stator Rplacement (http://atvstore.com/articles/stator_fix/)

hope the damage wasnt to bad...have a good one sir

ifixtheyride
06-25-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks for reply the bolts are still solidly in the bearing assembly the heads of the bolts are sheared off. I hear ya about the dealer within the first hour after rebuild the same type problem happened on opposite side of motor which is why I took that apart first they forgot to torque the primary drive gear and it spun loose allowing the gear to come forward and the key in shaft also moved enough so it wasn't engaging the cam chain drive gear so the crank was turning but cams were not got lucky that didn't do any apparent damage if it were a zero tollerence motor like some cars I know it could have wiped the new head and valves can't help but wonder if that did start something on the generator side which is my issue now.