PDA

View Full Version : instailling clutch friction plate

eotrx400ex
06-23-2010, 07:50 PM
I was reading through my Clymer service/repair book (M454-3) and i seen on page 141 Figure 32 that states at the end of paragragh 7B "Install the last friction plate into the shallow slots of the outer housing". So my question is WHY does this need to be done? cuz i didn't when i installed my new clutch:eek2:

NacsMXer
06-23-2010, 08:16 PM
Because that was the way it was designed. On my Hinson basket, you don't do it this way, but on the stock basket like you got, you need to offset the last fiber plate. Not sure why this is functionally, but it needs to be this way.

So all the fibers except for the last need to be between the "fingers" of the clutch basket. The very last fiber goes into the shallow slots on top of the "fingers" themselves.

I would pull the cover off and put that last fiber plate into the shallow slots of the basket.

CJM
06-23-2010, 08:37 PM
On page 131 of the manual (yea im looking) it says to do it. I didnt do it and had to take it ALL apart again (thank god I didnt put oil in) after asking the same Q a few months ago.

brokenmike
06-24-2010, 10:37 AM
if you flip the quad on its side you wont have to drain the oil

eotrx400ex
06-24-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by CJM
On page 131 of the manual (yea im looking) it says to do it. I didnt do it and had to take it ALL apart again (thank god I didnt put oil in) after asking the same Q a few months ago. huh thats wierd. mines on page 141...well i'll have to do the same and correct it. i did ride it already a little this way. only thing i noticed is after i first start it (after sitting for a day or better) the first time i go to put it in gear it stalls as if the clutch didn't get pulled all the way in. but only does it that first time then it works good