PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying DS450X XC...

54warrior
06-23-2010, 05:54 AM
An '10 or '11 DS450X XC...

To race next season in the AWRCS. I have never raced before, I'm 27 and figure I only live once, right? Will run the XC3 class.

Is this the right quad for me? I like the fact that it's already setup (for most part) with everything that would be needed to race XC.

What additional parts are necessary...

Steering Stabilizer
Outerwears Thingy for Radiator
Larger, custom aluminum tank?

What else?

How well do these hold up? I am 6'7", 250#.

Thanks!

kellymi
06-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I have a 09 XXC and I love it. It has been rock solid for me so far and I am on my second season with it.

You are on the right track for necessary parts. I would say:

Steering Stabalizer
Outerwears for radiator
Hinson or BCS clutch basket
Cut the pink wire
Maybe throw a slip on exhaust (It completely changes the power of the quad)
BCS sprocket and rotor guard (stock guard works but hangs down way to low)

Other then that go have some fun!!

coryatver
06-23-2010, 06:35 PM
I race the awrcs series and there are a couple can ams and most of them i see broke down on the side of the track after a lap or 2. Don't fall for the cheap price get a yam or honda.

kellymi
06-23-2010, 07:12 PM
I think most of the ones you see having problems are 2008 models. I would definitely stay away from a 08.This is the second year racing mine and I have never had a break down. Knock on wood! It has finished every single race that I have entered. For example it was raced for 5 hours straight at last years Heartland Challenge. Also last year at the Ironman GNCC I watched it go cartwheeling down pro hill on the first lap. I got back on and finished the race with no issues.

Flynbryan19
06-24-2010, 01:51 PM
How has yours been from cracking the frame? I see ALOT of people on the message boards w/ cracked frames. Thats what scares me the most. I can't afford to buy a quad thats going to crack the frame even after the mods that the factory says "fix" the problem. I love how light they are and I've been told they handle great, but if they won't stay together....what good is either one of those positives...

atver13
12-30-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by kellymi
I have a 09 XXC and I love it. It has been rock solid for me so far and I am on my second season with it.

You are on the right track for necessary parts. I would say:

Steering Stabalizer
Outerwears for radiator
Hinson or BCS clutch basket
Cut the pink wire
Maybe throw a slip on exhaust (It completely changes the power of the quad)
BCS sprocket and rotor guard (stock guard works but hangs down way to low)

Other then that go have some fun!!

what dose cutting the pink wire do?

fast rap
12-30-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by kellymi
I think most of the ones you see having problems are 2008 models. I would definitely stay away from a 08.This is the second year racing mine and I have never had a break down. Knock on wood! It has finished every single race that I have entered. For example it was raced for 5 hours straight at last years Heartland Challenge. Also last year at the Ironman GNCC I watched it go cartwheeling down pro hill on the first lap. I got back on and finished the race with no issues.

again, those were 08's, had something to do the the air Craft rivets coming loose... I have a 09 and ride mx... so far not 1 issue. im sure if I had a Asian made quad something would need to be replaced already!!!

TNT
12-31-2010, 09:04 AM
Void

TNT
12-31-2010, 09:05 AM
Originally posted by atver13
what dose cutting the pink wire do?

It accesses a "race map" and can gain torque and power when adding a pipe. Reason is the pipe allows more air flow and is less restrictive than stock, with the added air flow more fuel is needed to keep the quad from going lean in some cases. Most see a 4-6hp gain.

As you do more mods that add more air flow the pink race map will get out of range(the injector can too) so there are after market fuel controllers that do the same thing sorta as cutting the pink, but take the fuel signal out of the ECM(stock computer) and control of the fuel again by a fuel map. Many pipe companies sell fuel controllers w/thier pipes that have maps built in you can access by pushing a button. Take note that some do not want you to cut the stock pink and run the stock race map while using their fuel controllers and some do.

The more advanced programmable fuel controllers are made by Power Commander(PC), the most advance adds a oxygen sensor to the pipe PC5 and "closes" the EFI loop. Now through the PC 5 there is a return signal(OXY) to help keep AFR perfect or according to a custom map you build on a dyno. The result is power gains and superb throttle response. As I said, if the air mods are extensive a larger injector may be needed.

The 08 has had several issues I'd say don't get one unless your willing to do the research and learn the fixes, that’s why it sells so cheap, none of which were the aircraft rivet falling out lol(that’s the strongest part of the frame). 09 improved but the frame member up front needs some work as does the engine case by the swing arm, in both cases we see isolated failures, but there is a risk there and fix. 2010/2011 we seen no problems out here anyway and again have another OEM fix for the 08/09 frame and engine case.

That should explain for those new to DS EFI :D