PDA

View Full Version : 250ex low end loss is it true?

Chief
02-02-2003, 11:12 AM
bought a 2003 250ex for my 10 year old son for Christmas and he's already wantin more power to keep up with me, so i ordered a yosh slip-on, k&n filter with outerwear, and k&n jet kit. The dealer's mechanic says if I install all this i will gain mid and upper range power but lose low end. Is this true? Is there a way to prevent this? Most of the fun on tight trails is low end. Please advise.

thanks

Syrus
02-02-2003, 11:15 AM
Yes there is a way to prevent this... buy your son a 400ex :D

DEAL
02-02-2003, 11:15 AM
You might loose a little , not enough to make the quad hard to ride on the trails, the 250ex is geared pretty low so you won't have a problem.

250exen
02-02-2003, 12:01 PM
i dont know about a yoshi pipe but my T-4 added more bottom end then anything. It also let me be able to get the front tires up in 3rd from a dead stop(that is with a little pull up on the handlebars:devious: ) :chinese:
the airfilter and jets also added to the top(well cant fully tell cuse i aint jetted right but so far it did):scary:

Chief
02-02-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanx freestylexrider, but i've read on other past posts from 250exers that low end and throttle response was increased with a similar set-up. Maybe running the needle jet a notch richer would help?

Originally posted by Syrus
Yes there is a way to prevent this... buy your son a 400ex :D

Imagine a 60lb. (dripping wet) 10 yr.old with absolutely no fear on a 400ex. Though it looks cool seeing him barely pull-off 10-15ft double jumps on his 250ex while almost going endo, my heart stops a second or two. You'll know what I'm talking about when you have your own kid. With a 400ex I might as well hand him some gunpowder, steel tube and matches and tell him go make a bomb.

trickex250
02-02-2003, 07:10 PM
it felt like my pipe and filter helped with lowend more than anything

MIKE400EX
02-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Chief, you need to open up that air box too. I put 12 vents in the lid and re-jetted and it made a big difference. There's also a lip around the intake/top side of the snorkle you can remove. The spark arrestor from a 400ex fits and will also help open the stock muffler up, the additional noise is barely noticeable. These things are great in the woods slow or fast, AND they have a reverse! Don't forget to adjust the throttle cable, mine was loose as was the one on my 400.