PDA

View Full Version : Dr.Pulley variator

mydirtkids
06-22-2010, 03:51 PM
Anyone have any issues with the Dr. Pulley variator?

The ramp has a painted surface which I thought was cool at first, but now? The paint rubbed off the first couple laps with new 4 gram rollers (Stage6). Now, I am lucky to have a set of rollers last 6 total laps. We practice 3 laps, race 3, then I have to scramble to replace them before the second heat..:ermm:

Tried different brands of rollers, and the least durable seems to be the Stage6 (surprises me). Koso does better, but I really think it has something to do with the painted surface of the variator that has been rubbed off. The spots on the ramp that transition from paint to aluminum are bumpy. Why are these painted anyway?

nordic quad
06-22-2010, 04:08 PM
Have you tried the Pulley sliders?We have fund them to last longer than anything else.If you dont have any grooves in the ramps then the variator should still work fine?You may have an overall clutch problem if your rollers melt away this fast.
Stein A

mydirtkids
06-22-2010, 04:58 PM
Using the Stage6 adjustable with red springs set to the second indicator. Not sure about RMP, but stall is pretty high. I will lower the stall and see if that helps. The 3.75 Koso rollers seem to last longer, and still get full travel in fairly short distance.

There are no grooves from the rollers that I can tell. I am worried about the paint though, should I try to carefully remove the rest of the paint so there is a completely smooth ramp? I noticed some of the rollers end up with nicks in the middle of the rolling surface. Pretty sure it is from the paint issue.

Does anyone know if the Malossi overange kit performs better, and worth the $$$ on a 90 motor?

Only things done to motor are Haggerty Intake/v-force cage and all starer/oil pump. The shim is the same width as the flywheel and belt lines up and wears evenly.

Thanks everyone.

fastrnrik
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
We run a Dr Pulley variator. It has the paint wore off just like yours, but it doesn't seem to cause damage or make our rollers wear any faster. I have noticed the Stage 6 rollers do wear faster than some others. The Koso rollers seem to last the longest to me. Just my $.02

mydirtkids
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I was told to let some brake cleaner set on it and try to remove the rest of the paint. When my replacement tranny gears come in I will try it out to see if they last any longer. I also drilled the CVT cover and put on an outerwear.... really happy so far. The last ride before we broke it seemed a LOT cooler :cool:

Good to hear someone tried and likes the sliders... Anyone on a 90 try them?

Logan #34's Dad
06-23-2010, 07:27 AM
The variator is made to run the Dr. Pulley weights. Union Material is the company that has the variator made BUT they are a company that specializes in the materials the rollers/sliders are made of. I'd bet if you used Dr. Pulley weights they would not score the inside of the variator. Hands down the best weights your money can buy. They will actually wax the ramps and create very little dust. I just wish they made them for the variator I run.

mydirtkids
06-23-2010, 04:49 PM
So what is the solution? Replace the variator and use sliders? I really don't want to buy another variator (have not really used this one). I will try sliders with this but now wonder about the paint. The original paited surface was probably there for a reason. :o

don bassani
06-23-2010, 05:25 PM
Do not worry about the paint.Stage 6 rollers are lousy .

Logan #34's Dad
06-23-2010, 06:32 PM
Your variator will be fine. If you use rollers then I'd recommend sticking with rollers. Dr. Pulley will have the weights you need. I'm not a fan of the sliders BUT one of the fastest 70 quads in the country uses them sooooooooo......

mydirtkids
06-23-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by don bassani
Do not worry about the paint.Stage 6 rollers are lousy .

I agree...... Have had several split after just a few laps. Will try the Dr. Pulley rollers instead. Thanks all!