PDA

View Full Version : blue exhaust smoke???

400ex=awesome
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
ive been riding my 416ex alot and its starting to blow out a huge cloud of blue smoke when i rev it up but it runs and feels fine any idea's???

a4guy
06-22-2010, 12:17 PM
Do a compression test. Sounds like rings.

MidnightBlade
06-22-2010, 12:23 PM
x2 on the rings, could be valve seals too

honda400ex2003
06-22-2010, 01:21 PM
most likely rings if it is all the time. under hard accel and on initial startup would be symptoms of valve seals. steve

PaRedneckRiders
06-22-2010, 07:27 PM
Originally posted by honda400ex2003
most likely rings if it is all the time. under hard accel and on initial startup would be symptoms of valve seals. steve
Could accualy be both but sounds more like rings
deff do a comp check then depending on the results id replace the rings if it smokes when u first start it then replace the valve seals

MidnightBlade
06-22-2010, 07:56 PM
you could be able to just reseat the valves with some valve reseating compound. and if you replace the rings, clean and oil your UNI filter. if you have K&N id clean and oil the outerwears and clean and oil the gauze. because if the rings went bad it sucked dirt somewhere along the intake line, spray ether around the carb boot and where the intake goes into the cylinder while it is running. if it leaks the engine will rev up slightly when you spray the ether around the seals. good luck

TRXRacer1
06-22-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by MidnightBlade
you could be able to just reseat the valves with some valve reseating compound. and if you replace the rings, clean and oil your UNI filter. if you have K&N id clean and oil the outerwears and clean and oil the gauze. because if the rings went bad it sucked dirt somewhere along the intake line, spray ether around the carb boot and where the intake goes into the cylinder while it is running. if it leaks the engine will rev up slightly when you spray the ether around the seals. good luck By reseating the valves I assume lapping and that will not have anything to do with helping an oil burning issue. Rings will go bad over time with normal wear and I would never oil and outerwear.

400ex=awesome
06-22-2010, 08:03 PM
i got brand new rings in it just put em in 2 months ago?

TRXRacer1
06-22-2010, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by 400ex=awesome
i got brand new rings in it just put em in 2 months ago? How did the cylinder mic out? Sure it wasn't due for a bore? Did you hone the cylinder for the new rings?

a4guy
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Did you happen to do a compression test yet?

When you replaced your rings what else was replaced? Did you hone your cylinder?

a4guy
06-22-2010, 08:08 PM
TRXRacer1, you were a bit quicker then me on that one...

TRXRacer1
06-22-2010, 08:10 PM
Just a sign I might be hitting the forum a little too hard tonight, lol. :D

a4guy
06-22-2010, 08:11 PM
It happens....haha

400ex=awesome
06-22-2010, 08:44 PM
bored it out high compression piston and every thing in the engine is new

TRXRacer1
06-22-2010, 08:50 PM
Might want to do a comp and leak down check to make sure everything is okay. I have seen botched bore jobs. Do like midnight said too as far as checking for filter/intake leaks.

a4guy
06-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I am thinking if its all new is that maybe it was over bored a bit and the piston/rings are loose enough to cause blow by. Checking the compression will tell you this.

Pt's400ex
06-22-2010, 09:07 PM
Is it possible the studs in the cylinder stretched a little. When you put the piston inside the cylinder was it hard to get the rings compressed together. Maybe you need to resurface your head to make sure you have a good seal. Jim

TRXRacer1
06-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Usually on a stud pull you can see or feel a leak around the head gasket but that typically wouldn't have anything to do with burning oil.

Pt's400ex
06-22-2010, 09:29 PM
Originally posted by TRXRacer1
Usually on a stud pull you can see or feel a leak around the head gasket but that typically wouldn't have anything to do with burning oil.

Unless it leaks to the inside and gets around the crush ring at the top of the cylinder. I don't know for certain but I think it's possible and worth checking. When I took mine apart this last time the gasket was soaked with oil so I put in a new one, resurfaced the head and sprayed the gasket with copper sealant. Jim

TRXRacer1
06-29-2010, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Pt's400ex
Unless it leaks to the inside and gets around the crush ring at the top of the cylinder. I don't know for certain but I think it's possible and worth checking. When I took mine apart this last time the gasket was soaked with oil so I put in a new one, resurfaced the head and sprayed the gasket with copper sealant. Jim Not likely but I bust out "anything is possible". You'd be more likely to a see a liquid machine eat anti-freeze due to the cylinder being surrounded by the liquid, how thin it is and pressure. These engines just have oil basically falling down the side of it.

A+ on coppercoat. Should be used on every gasket install. Great conditioner/sealant.